RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

You could try having a pair made in B width. It isn't nearly as narrow as it sounds. Maybe see if Rancourt has shoes in their try on program ("Made to Fit") in 8.5B and 8D.

2. FrankCowperwood

Very nice. Suede can be tough if you let it be. Post some photos if you can.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013

3. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Finally a nice day...

[​IMG]

4. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

I do consider buying a pair of boat shoes from Rancourt at the moment.
    As I already own a pair of navy Docksides(which I won't be buying again), I am looking for a pair in a shade of brown.
    My two favorites at the moment are Horween #8 Chromexcel and Horween Brown Chromexcel with an edge to #8 as it looks richer in color from the pictures of Rancourt.
    http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/made-to-order/men-s/2-eye-boat-shoe-color-8-chromexcel.html
    http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/ready-made/men-s/2-eye-boat-shoe-carolina-brown-chromexcel.html

Does anybody of you own a pair made of either leather and would be willing to share a picture taken in natural sunlight?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013

5. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

#8 CXL has more red to it where the Brown CXL is a true brown. Rancourt will send you a sample of each color for you to see yourself. If you are looking for a brown boat shoe than I would go with the brown CXL

6. FrankCowperwood

There's the baseball stitch, just in time for opening day.

Posted a photo of Brown CXL just above: http://www.styleforum.net/t/197413/rancourt-co-shoes-made-in-maine/2040#post_6245775.

I like the color. #8 is going to be nice too. Obviously should have a little more red in it.

7. chuckb

chuckb Senior member

I'd go for brown rather than #8 for boat shoes. I have a pair of penny loafers in brown chromexcel and it's a great color, and for some reason I feel like brown is more appropriate than burgundy for boat shoes.

8. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Gentlemen, thank you a lot for your replies! Once again my poor English lead to a misunderstanding. When I said I was looking for a brown boat shoe, I was aware and very much liked #8 Chromexcel was more redish brown/burgundy than brown Chromexcel, I am not set on a "neutral" brown. Therefore let me simplify my question: Which color would you prefer in a boat shoe #8 or brown CXL? Further, when flipping through the pages of the thread, I found the following post. If I recall correctly Bakes was the one who considered buying a pair of boat shoes for his dad's birthday but was not sure Rancourt was worth the price they asked for. Am very glad some others and I were able to convince him. From how the shoes look one can clearly see the owner wears them a lot and very unpretentious so, which I think is a great thing for a boat shoe. Also, are those brown CXL? The definitely look great!

9. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

I have the #8 cxl boat and love them

10. FrankCowperwood

Brown boat shoe seems like the classic. But I don't see how #8 could be bad. I've never seen #8 on person though.

11. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

MH, did you ever receive your espresso loafers?

12. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Supposed to ship Monday

I will try and get you in a few days

13. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Wow. What caused such a long delay? Seemed like we ordered roughly at the same time

14. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

My only advice when it comes to Brown and Color #8 is that at the beginning they look very similar. I have brown Rangers and #8 boat shoes. I wish I had bought one of them in Natural (not sure which!) just so to have a bit more differentiation between them. Most people think they're both boat shoes anyway. Both look amazing, I couldn't tell you which color looks better. I can only say is that the brown rangers have really gotten gorgeous.

The #8's are not as well broken in yet, so I haven't gotten much of a pationa out of them yet. What I've been waiting to see is how #8 CXL ages with exposure to light. We all know how #8 shell ages, and how Natty CXL does it. But how does #8 CXL go? Does it get the amazing yellow/orange highlights? I bought that pair banking that they would.

That all said, I think when the ranger mocs are ready for a resole in a few years (the soles are holding up amazing) I will strongly consider putting a red sole on them.

15. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

So I just want to confirm some sizing advice that has been given here about Rancourt shoes, especially the penny loafers. I got a pair of the beefroll pennys they did for Club Monaco back around Christmas, and went TTS because of my recent negative experience with 'size down' advice (hence why I now own a pair of too-small C&J boots). I've only recently started wearing them recently now that the weather is nice, and I can definitely say I should have followed the size-down advice given for these shoes. I'm normally a 10.5D, I go down to a 10 for Clark's and some other boots and up to 11 for Nike and New Balance. I got a 10.5D in the beefrolls and they are already just a wee bit too long (my heel lifts slightly when I walk) and will definitely be too big once they stretch. They're still wearable for now, but let my bad choice serve as a reminder to all.

Still awesome shoes though, I might buy some ranger movs next to replace a pair of rapidly deteriorating desert boots.