• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my Brown CXL beef roll loafers. Very comfortable. A bit of slippage in the right foot, but the left fits perfectly. I don’t think it’s worth swapping for the smaller size.

Those are gorgeous. I think that's one of the pairs I'm going to get.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my Brown CXL beef roll loafers. Very comfortable. A bit of slippage in the right foot, but the left fits perfectly. I don’t think it’s worth swapping for the smaller size.

Sharp! I'm really diggin' brown CXL lately. Think there is a brown CXL pair in my near future. Also, like the socks!

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I second the call for anyone dapper gentleman out there to submit examples of using navy (preferably shell) in a business-ish setting. Does not have to be suit, but would like to see with "office wear," not jeans or cords.

I think I might be able to get my head around it if I can see what others are doing.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would be interested in this myself. Seems as if navy blue shell would go with gray or maybe even brown dress trousers. Considering the style of shoe, seems unlikely for a suit, but with potential for trousers and jackets.

gentpax

Reaction score

I second the call for anyone dapper gentleman out there to submit examples of using navy (preferably shell) in a business-ish setting.  Does not have to be suit, but would like to see with "office wear,"  not jeans or cords.  

I think I might be able to get my head around it if I can see what others are doing.

Not the greatest pic. Cam phone from one day last fall. Grenson wingtip. Navy/Dark Antique sole. The shoes look somewhat darker in person, but not as dark as those dyed Navy Shells (usually polish them with black, if that helps). RARELY does anyone notice. And that's likely only because the sole draws attention to the color. With a black sole very few would look down.

Also have a pair of very dark navy PTBs that I sneak by as black. Recently was in a wedding in which a dark grey tux was rented for all groomsmen. I snuck the navy PTBs in instead of the black corrected grains that were assigned. Not a single person noticed. People don't look down very often. Note: I used careful judgment here; what's tackier than wearing gross, plasticine rentals... standing out on someone else's wedding day because of one's personal preference.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Note: I used careful judgment here; what's tackier than wearing gross, plasticine rentals... standing out on someone else's wedding day because of one's personal preference.

Very very true.

Nice shot of the blue color. I agree that navy shell would likely be even darker, and less noticeable still with a dark sole edge.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to buy the Rancourt chukka in brown from Club Monaco

http://www.clubmonaco.ca/product/in...881.12774166&ab=ln_men_shoesaccessories_shoes

My cousin works there so I can get it at a great discount. I wear a size 8 in Clarks Desert Boots and a 8 in Vanishing Elephants as well. I have also a size 8 in my Ecco (ugly but comfortable) shoes and a size 7.5 in Allen Edmonds Kenilworth. Wear size 9 in regular sneakers

What size would I be based on the above?

Thanks!

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I think I've settled on what I want: Blake Boots in natural shell cordovan, a rubber tread half-sole (like Red Wing GTs), and eyelets and speedhooks (if possible) like Wolverine 1000 miles have (I don't know if that can be customized, but doesn't hurt to ask, right?). I've fallen in love with natural leather, and think that the natural shell is just going to look more and more amazing over the years. Might as well get it now and start the aging/patina process, right? I'm assuming they can make that, though I haven't actually seen anyone get natural shells from them. Seen it from a few other places on the web though. Looks amazing.

Anyway, still up in the air about sizing. 9 or 9.5. I wear 9D's in Wolverine 1Ks, 9EE in Rancourt's boat shoes and ranger mocs, 8.5EEE in Allen Edmonds lined boots. Which means I have not the slightest idea of how to size. If I had to say, the Rancourts are a bit on the snug side, but I've been bitten by comparing hand sewns to boots before, and ended up with boots that were much, much too big on me. Anyone have any guidance on how they compared their Blakes to their mocs? Or Blakes to Wolverine 1Ks? Too big can be just as bad as too small, I've found, if I never want to wear the boot.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rancourt is currently not offering speed hooks. When I asked I was told it may be available as an option starting in the fall.

Michael Haines

Reaction score

Okay, I think I've settled on what I want: Blake Boots in natural shell cordovan, a rubber tread half-sole (like Red Wing GTs), and eyelets and speedhooks (if possible) like Wolverine 1000 miles have (I don't know if that can be customized, but doesn't hurt to ask, right?). I've fallen in love with natural leather, and think that the natural shell is just going to look more and more amazing over the years. Might as well get it now and start the aging/patina process, right? I'm assuming they can make that, though I haven't actually seen anyone get natural shells from them. Seen it from a few other places on the web though. Looks amazing.

Anyway, still up in the air about sizing. 9 or 9.5. I wear 9D's in Wolverine 1Ks, 9EE in Rancourt's boat shoes and ranger mocs, 8.5EEE in Allen Edmonds lined boots. Which means I have not the slightest idea of how to size. If I had to say, the Rancourts are a bit on the snug side, but I've been bitten by comparing hand sewns to boots before, and ended up with boots that were much, much too big on me. Anyone have any guidance on how they compared their Blakes to their mocs? Or Blakes to Wolverine 1Ks? Too big can be just as bad as too small, I've found, if I never want to wear the boot.

I'm not completely sure but the caramel looks natural in person.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, from my understanding the Caramel is natural shell

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads