RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Faustuses

Faustuses New Member

How often have we seen Brooks Brothers stock the Rancourt beefroll loafers? I'm hoping for another sale on them (brown loafers have long since sold out.)

Appreciate the insight!

2. NNNN

NNNN Well-Known Member

I was told that anything other than what is shown on the site is considered "custom" and will incur a fee that starts at around $50, which in the case of the shoe I wanted is about a 25% increase. They added this new fee around 6 weeks ago after figuring out what they're costs are. It makes sense in that they are gearing up to have an online customization app, and will soon be bombarded by all sorts of custom orders. The flip side is that a company that doesn't overtly advertise making custom shoes (in this case Quoddy) doesn't charge for simple modifications, probably because they don't get too many custom orders and it's not a big deal to do one here and there. Anyway, I'm certainly not saying Rancourt's shoes aren't worth the (increased) price, but my thinking went from "Wow, I am definitely getting a pair of Rancourts" to "Well, since the cost is higher, maybe I should consider OSB and Quoddy as well" to "Hmm, do I even want to spend $300 on shoes right now?" We'll see.

3. grendel

grendel Senior member

Rancourt posted the video on FB again and said

Quote:

4. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

The skill that goes into making a good pair of shoes, whether by hand or machine, is impressive. My hat is off the the artisans (bet many of them would laugh at that word...)

5. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

oh my, now they offer cherry cxl? man, i can see me dropping more $$ for my 3rd pair of rancourt...

those new brogues are interesting too!

6. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Senior member

I'd be very happy if they made something like a chunky Trickers brogue, but at a lower price point.

7. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

This seems a bit odd to me. I have placed a customer order within the last 6 weeks and was not charged this fee. Are you sure the particular make up is not more expensive either due to a different leather or sole which might change the cost?

8. FrankCowperwood

A fee that "starts at" $50 is not very appealing. Oh well.

9. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Well, that's disappointing. I just got a pair of custom Quoddy's and they did a pretty decent modification, adding a chromepack saddle onto a chromepack upper (Dawson mocs), which required doing a pretty ornate piece of work on a piece of leather 2x as thick as CXL. Didn't charge me a buck extra, and got me my shoes in 2 weeks flat. Still love my Rancourts, but between that, and still not offering EEE widths, I think I probably have to go over to Quoddy for most future purchases.

10. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

My Quddy's involved no additional charge as well. In fact they told me their rational is that they have to make every pair by hand so it really doesnt matter what the makeup is; I would think the same logic ought to apply for Rancourt...

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

If Rancourt offers the service and people are willing to pay, then that's what it is. I just received a pair of MTO Quoddy's as well.

12. FrankCowperwood

Very true of course, PhiPsi, and it probably seems worse if you know that it is new. Someone who doesn't realize this and isn't aware of what others do or don't charge will simply see it for what it is, and that's part of the cost of getting shoes from Rancourt.

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

Has anyone else heard this from Rancourt?

14. chuckb

chuckb Senior member

^ I've been emailing back and forth with someone at Rancourt to nail down the details of my next pair of shoes, and she told me basically this same thing when I asked. I gave her the feedback that they really need to mention this fee somewhere on their website, as this thread is the first place I heard about it (including it not being mentioned when asking how to go about ordering a customized pair of shoes).
    It's a little bit bewildering - while I do understand the reasoning for a higher price for a made-to-order shoe, it seems to me that it would cost them the same to make a penny loafer as shown on the site as it would to make the exact same shoe with a different color sole. Especially since in both cases the shoe is being made to order for you and thus they're not filling an order from existing inventory.

15. WoodAcres

WoodAcres Member

Just had the same experience. Wanted to get a pinch penny loafer with leather sole and heel and the price went from 210->310 even though the exact shoe except as a beefroll loafer is 260.

Kind of disappointing especially when the modification free version is made only after you order it...