• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

mothball

Reaction score

Looking to pick up the snuff penny loafers and some boat shoes. I emailed them about sizing, but I figured I'd throw it out here as well. I'm an 8E in Alden Indys and suede chukkas and an 8.5E in Allen Edmonds Strand. I THINK I measure an 8.5E on a Brannock. Any tips? Will the boat shoes and loafers generally fit the same?

I went with the same size as my Strands for Ranger Mocs and loafers. I don't have any experience with their boat shoes, though.

iluvatar

Reaction score
Sounds like it's going to be at least another month or two until the customization tool is up online.

I'm debating *************** chromexcel bedford chukka or a black buckaroo langdon boot, both with a black RLH sole, but it's hard envisioning what they'll actually come out looking like. I like the idea of a chukka, but I'm thinking black may work better on the langdon boot.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sounds like it's going to be at least another month or two until the customization tool is up online.

I'm debating *************** chromexcel bedford chukka or a black buckaroo langdon boot, both with a black RLH sole, but it's hard envisioning what they'll actually come out looking like. I like the idea of a chukka, but I'm thinking black may work better on the langdon boot.

I think either would look nice but I would go black CXL on the Langdon

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LeCorb

Reaction score
Anybody know what kind of leather is this Rancourt & Co Beef Roll Penny Loafers? Is it Horween Chomerxcel? or just burnish horween leather? Please advise.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Ranco...var_MH00044_Color=GREN&contentpos=7&cgid=0494

That's the olive cxl. I've got a pair of ranger mocs in this and it's great stuff

Somehow the finish looks little different than CXL. I wonder if it is Horween burnish leather. Any Horween expert can offer some advices?

Example of Dark Olive CXL. I hope it helps.
http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/blake-boot-dark-olive-chromexcel.html

calidist

Reaction score
Not really. They are both CXL goodyear welted workboots but the profiles aren't that close. The lasts are very different. That said, the average guy on the street would make the same assumption.

Oak St. Trench, Wolverine 1K and Redwing 9011/Beckman

I know this is off-topic for Rancourt, but how did you size in the OSB Trench boot? TTS or a half size down? What would you recommend?

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
Which of the three boots is best for walking? Four, if we include rancourt?

Last edited:

bwidjaja

Reaction score
Anybody has experience with Rancourt's Blake Chukka? How does it fit and how comfortable is it compared to the Alden's or AE's?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Anybody know what kind of leather is this Rancourt & Co Beef Roll Penny Loafers?  Is it Horween Chomerxcel? or just burnish horween leather?  Please advise. 

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Ranco...var_MH00044_Color=GREN&contentpos=7&cgid=0494

I bought and returned a pair of those last summer.
Beware on the fit of those. I've got a couple pairs of Rancourt for Ralph Lauren beef rolls so I ordered the same size.
These BB ones fit about half a size smaller.

The leather was really stiff and had a kind of fuzzy finish.

Last edited:

iluvatar

Reaction score

I think either would look nice but I would go black CXL on the Langdon

Yeah, that's certainly an option. What I had in mind for the Langdon boot was something entirely black and it looks like the black chromexcel is only dyed on the surface so you'd have some tan peaking through at the edges.

Scratch what I said about not being sure how a black chromexcel chukka would turn out, however. I've been playing around with Photoshop and came up with this rough approximation of what it would look like on the RLH sole.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Argh! Planning my purchases for Spring and it's driving me crazy.

I want to get some of the Venetians in Brown CXL, but not on the super-thin leather soul. I'm trying to decide if the RLH sole will look too clunky on them? Thoughts? The other option is the siped camp sole in honey.

I'm also torn on a 2nd shoe to get... Not because I can't pick one but because it's tough to pick ONLY one... I had been thinking about a ranger moc in peanut suede... or green shell... or latigo / other pebble grain...

But now I'm thinking about a #8 shell beefroll penny loafer... I want to get a RLH sole on one pair, but I'm not sure which. I'm not sure the RLH would go with a #8 shell penny loafer, so I could go with a CXL penny or back to the ranger moc choices...

Does anyone know what last they send if you do the Made to Fit program? I usually wear a 10 in most things (10D Alden Barrie last, 10D AE 5 last, 9UK in Alfred Sargent) but I just got 9.5E in White's boots and they fit well. I've got the Eastland Made in Maine olive CXL size 9.5D that were a bit tight at first but loosened up to fit well. I'm not sure shell would do that, and I'm not sure which lasts they put on which shoes by default, so I was thinking of trying their fit test shoes for a 9.5E.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got the Eastland Made in Maine olive CXL size 9.5D that were a bit tight at first but loosened up to fit well. I'm not sure shell would do that, and I'm not sure which lasts they put on which shoes by default, so I was thinking of trying their fit test shoes for a 9.5E.
Rancourt makes Eastland Made in Maine for them. So there's your answer right there. Shell won't stretch quite as much as CXL, but it will still stretch a bit.

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Argh! Planning my purchases for Spring and it's driving me crazy. I want to get some of the Venetians in Brown CXL, but not on the super-thin leather soul. I'm trying to decide if the RLH sole will look too clunky on them? Thoughts? The other option is the siped camp sole in honey. I'm also torn on a 2nd shoe to get... Not because I can't pick one but because it's tough to pick ONLY one... I had been thinking about a ranger moc in peanut suede... or green shell... or latigo / other pebble grain... But now I'm thinking about a #8 shell beefroll penny loafer... I want to get a RLH sole on one pair, but I'm not sure which. I'm not sure the RLH would go with a #8 shell penny loafer, so I could go with a CXL penny or back to the ranger moc choices... Does anyone know what last they send if you do the Made to Fit program? I usually wear a 10 in most things (10D Alden Barrie last, 10D AE 5 last, 9UK in Alfred Sargent) but I just got 9.5E in White's boots and they fit well. I've got the Eastland Made in Maine olive CXL size 9.5D that were a bit tight at first but loosened up to fit well. I'm not sure shell would do that, and I'm not sure which lasts they put on which shoes by default, so I was thinking of trying their fit test shoes for a 9.5E.
I like this post!:) All the following opinions are simply what I'd do if I were ordering the shoes: Venetian: Honey sipped camp sole. Ranger moc should look great in peanut suede (really like how that looks online) or the latigo, I think. I'd like something in both of those, but would then have find extra feet to wear them... :embar: Both should be sturdy for that shoe. Own the green shell, of course, and love it. So that is a tough one. I think RLH with #8 shell would be an interesting casual look. Definitely different for a shell loafer, but workable. Interesting that you wear .5 size smaller in Eastland than in AE 5 and Alden. I'd think you'd wear .5 larger, but if you have the shoes and they fit, then that's that. CXL is definitely going to give some, particularly if it is unlined. My feeling is that unlined shell has some give too. Lined it does not. Trying to keep myself from placing a Rancourt order... :slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads