• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rancourt belts

leadbelly2550

Reaction score
I prefer to buy good quality leather belts and keep them for a very long time. My go-to belt used to be Coach calfskin, but their quality has declined (in my opinion) over the years. My second go-to belts came from J. Press, but I found over the years that the cement between the outer layer and lining tends to ooze out, over time, making the belt kind of sticky at the primary wear point. It has happened to two belts of mine from Press, which is unfortunate, because the quality of the leather has been very good. I also tried belts from Joseph A. Bank that proved to be of somewhat inferior quality - stitching tends to get worn, lower quality leather, even an alligator belt from Joseph Bank. (On the plus, pretty nice belt buckles from Jos. Bank). My only belt from Brooks Brothers, the buckle is a very nice silver, but the leather is kind of thin and hard - not a favorite.

My two favorite belts are from Rancourt, a Maine-based shoe and leather goods company that sells online and through some stores. I also own a pair of their chromexel beefroll loafers that I like, but their shell cordovan belts have proved to be both great-looking and very durable. They are on the thick side - not in width, but in thickness.

I just ordered a calfskin belt from them. 20% off code for black friday. I’m optimistic.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Thoughts on chromexel? Why would that be preferred over calf?
i don’t have much experience with chromexel except for knowing that shoe polish kills the finish.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
Chomexcel is more casual than calf

might be better if you’re pairing with chinos or jeans

regarding Rancourt CXL belts, I have two and they are about what I would expect in terms of quality for the price

the color they call Carolina brown is significantly lighter than how it is portrayed on their website

on the website it comes off as a darker mid brown but it is really a light mid brown

I was actually kind of annoyed when I received it because the color was so off but I’ve found a use for it over time

leadbelly2550

Reaction score
Chomexcel is more casual than calf

might be better if you’re pairing with chinos or jeans

regarding Rancourt CXL belts, I have two and they are about what I would expect in terms of quality for the price

the color they call Carolina brown is significantly lighter than how it is portrayed on their website

on the website it comes off as a darker mid brown but it is really a light mid brown

I was actually kind of annoyed when I received it because the color was so off but I’ve found a use for it over time
I have a pair of penny loafers in the Carolina brown - more of a ‘natural’ than dark brown, not as smooth or formal a leather. I don’t use polish with color on them but have some clear leather treatment that smooths out minor marks. Definitely more casual.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Chromexcel is a pull up leather, which means the color will change when you bend it. As others have noted, it's a casual leather. I can see it being used for a casual belt you'd wear with jeans, but not with tailored clothing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads