Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ran out of wardrobe space - Suggest how to optimize ... / Help me cull my stuff

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aj_del, Nov 13, 2011.

1. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

That is exactly the problem. Please suggest ways to utilize the exisitng space better

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

2. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I did, earlier in the thread. Use the shelves on top of the drawers better, and ditch the wide shoulder hangars, which don't really make anything but the tiniest difference for anything but the most delicate of suit fabrics. Replace them with standard curved suit hangars. Move the leather jacket to a peg somewhere, it doesn't need the hangar at all. Hang some of the pants with the sportcoats. Shove your shirts closer together if you don't want to fold them. Really, the worst you'll do to 'em is put a wrinkle or two in, and if you make sure they're flat against each other, that doesn't happen. The collars might squish a little, but you can hand shape them before you wear.

3. md2010

md2010 Senior member

All my knits are folded. But the space is small so they are double stacked. There is a front row and a back row. So impossible to take one off without taking the whole section down.

4. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Aj_del....think you have space problems? Here is just a taste of my own madness....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Please...no questions on makes...it would take too long to type. As I stated in an earlier post, this is what happens when things get out of control....these photos show about half of my wardrobe. I am a sick man. Don't let this happen to you unless you have a stately mansion to store it all (which I don't). It takes me 3 days just to lotion my shoes. This is why I run the No Purchase Club..to help other souls stop themselves from commiting this insanity.

5. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

There you go, this is the answer. Your SCs look a lot alike too -- my first impression was that's a lot of similar SCs. But what can I really know from a picture.

As for the guilt, the money is a sunk cost. And we all make mistakes, or mistakes happen to us. Items we choose do not always work out. You have to factor this in. It is OK to shell out for something and then decide a few months later that it's not worth a spot in your rotation. I don't think it's realistic to expect every purchase to work out in the long run.

You can only wear one outfit at a time, and if the goal is maximum pleasure / utility from the outfit, that's going to be augmented by giving its parts the space they need to rest and be stored without the wrinkles and damage that come from overcrowded storage. You let go your least favorite 3 SCs and you improve your experience of the favorite 4. And by making hard choices you learn more about what exactly to buy and what not to buy, and you better understand how keeping something and storing it necessitates a ongoing cost that can easily outweigh the savings to be had on some deal. Man of Lint, for example, pays half his rent or mortgage just to store all those shoes. And being a SFer, Man of Lint probably bought many of those pairs thinking he was getting a great bargain.

6. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

.[/quote]

WTF is this shit ? This is hell. You need a woman (not tomgirl) in your life

7. MyOtherLife

My woman is around here somewhere. It's hard to find her with all the clothes in the way,

8. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

From this point on, this thread should be about MoL. I will sort myself out

9. onix

onix Senior member

Huh? That's a huge variance in term of sleeve lengths right there. All of my jacket sleeves are of exact same length (as expected).

10. onix

onix Senior member

Wow (not in a good way). You seem to have a window in that room? Get rid of that to have an extra wall, your clothes are not supposed to be exposed to sunlight anyway. And those plastic sheets (whatever they are) look quite suffocating. Why do you need them?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

11. MyOtherLife

Not a bad idea! I was considering using the ceiling...maybe hang more shoes and boots like a Delicatessan does meat and cheese.
    No direct sunlight comes in that window so all is quite safe. The plastic sheets are simply a precaution against possible dust though the room is kept very clean.

12. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

I guess when you have a men's store worth of clothes dust is a serious problem.

13. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

6 of my SCs, couldn't find the 7th. Which to get rid of ?

Thinking of keeping 2,4 and 5
    [​IMG]

14. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

I love this thread. MoL's closet definitely deserves it's own sticky thread.

^ SC 2 is a keeper.

15. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

2 is plain navy SC.