1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Rambo's World Adventure

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Rambo, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'll definitely make it until winter. Hopefully, until my next birthday. How long are you going to be in town for?

Pretty much what I was thinking. Outside of the occasional nice restaurant or excursion to monument/museum, most of the money will be on travel. Which is more expensive than I thought. Fucking Eurorail prices are a bitch.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Interesting. So tell me. Where exactly in America can I travel to prepare myself culturally for Africa. I'm all ears.

3. Teger

Teger Senior member

when did I say 'travel in america'? if rambo has say, traveled around eastern europe or the middle east, he'd probably experience less of a culture shock if he traveled to africa.

4. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Those sound like literally three of the worst possible areas in the world in which someone could travel.

6. Teger

Teger Senior member

also rambo you've mentioned in the past you have some health issues, so just bear that in mind when you travel -- just make sure you have access to hospitals, pharmacies, etc, if that's the type of stuff you need to be around. im sure it won't be a problem in most places though.

7. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

every place has it's good spots and bad spots. it depends a lot on how you carry yourself to. some people step off a plane with a target on their back and are bound to find themselves in trouble.

8. Teger

Teger Senior member

why would eastern europe or the middle east be terrible places to travel? i've talked to several people who traveled to eastern europe and had a blast - it's cheap and has fantastic history

9. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Careful with the hostels. You can pick up some bad arthropods. I've heard horror stories. Bed bugs and the kind that burrow.

But I've heard European hostels are cleaner.

10. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

UGHHH my #1 phobia

11. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

Just go be globetrotter's manservant.

12. Teger

Teger Senior member

also it'd be pretty cool if you pulled this off. ive always wanted to do something like this, but never had the time/money/balls

13. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

just go be globetrotter's manservant

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I think mordecai is trying to tell us something gaiz

1 person likes this.
  15. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I was gonna say, didn't seem from the earlier posts like Rambo was gonna visit the Orient, but you need $100 a day to do it along the same lines that MasterClasster outlined if so. Most of the Asian countries get pretty expensive, though there are some really cheap lodgings to be found if needed.
    Long ago I stayed in a Hong Kong guesthouse, room had no windows, just this tiny little space, but it was private and had a bathroom - and I think it ran like $15 a day. I could've stayed and typed up a nice screenplay or something, but also would've run the risk of committing suicide or falling into vices very quickly, as I was basically sharing space with a bunch of hookers and undesirable transients. However, while you can get lodging and 2-3 meals a day kinda cheaply here and there, the 'travel' expenses for sightseeing and just finding ways to kill 16-18 hours a day can add up quickly.

Some years ago, I found myself well and truly homeless in Korea for about a month. Long story, that, but I was able to crash on some friends couches, I got my mom to wire me money and I stayed in some cheap motels with my girlfriend at the time sometimes, that was about it for getting some sleep. They have public baths here with sleeping rooms, and I was able to nap there for a few hours a day for about $6 entrance, but apart from that - I found it really hard to kill time if you have no home and no money to spend. It was just lots of wandering around in the summer heat and being hungry, being very bored.

I have a friend who just said he was going to move to Germany one day, this happened recently - and he did so. He left Florida and just went to Germany, and looked for a job. He actually got a job (I think it might've taken a few months to finally get a job though), a visa, and shares a flat with some people - no idea how he did all this, but I think the story here is that he went straight there and started looking for a job immediately, rather than wandering or traveling.

16. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

If you see impolyt in Tokyo he will hook you up with an acqua panna.

17. impolyt_one

The restaurant where I promised Tokyo Slim a free fancy water is currently closed for renovation. :(

18. impolyt_one

If Rambo comes out to Tokyo though, I will hook him up with as much Contrex as he wants. My wife orders up hundreds of liters at a time and it just sits downstairs, and I do too... in my fortress of water.

19. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

saving money:
    Travel's probably the biggest chunk, so see if you can do things like sharing/renting a car with some local buddies to drive down the coastline, or do a daytrip into a smaller random country, etc.
    Accommodations - couchsurfing is cheaper (ie often free, although the 'cost' may be spending time with the host), but hell, maybe use things like SF to your advantage and contact local forum people to do a meet and greet and crash at someone's pad for a few days. I'm sure you could probably find a couple of people in any major city from the forum.
    Food's very variable, but you can do anything from supermarket shopping for a bottle of juice, some fruit and a jar of peanut butter with loaf of bread.... to splashing out on one solid meal in each country.

all this being said, if you're going to buy dinner, wouldn't you rather do it in some exotic country instead of back home? so save where you can but figure out your value and spend a little more to really enjoy in certain areas (eg I hate spending money on accommodations, but will drop coin on food)

oh, and in relation to an above point about bed bugs, consider something like those protect-a-bed thingies (google it)

20. impolyt_one

I don't know if Rambo realizes this or what, but the basic answer is that many in his shoes try their hand at teaching ESL in Asia as a way to travel, and for that purpose, it's mostly a success. You need a 4 year college degree, and it takes awhile to apply and process to get a visa for something like that, but the traveling/getting out of America part is covered and a few thousand dollars is roughly what is needed when starting out on something like that, as you don't get paid for the first month and there are living expenses incurred before that time.