• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rambo's World Adventure

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

So I was talking about wanting to go scuba diving in several exotic locales. Trouble is, I don't know how to scuba dive. Its ******* expensive to learn here so I was thinking about doing it internationally, hopefully on the cheap. Any suggestions for this?

I'm your one-stop shop.
It's somewhat of a mixed bag. It's true that abroad you can get PADI certified for a fraction of price and time of what you would in the US. The problem is that you don't know what the dive master (assuming there's someone there certified to that level) is like, what the equipment is like, etc. I've gone on some cheap dives around here but I feel more comfortable knowing that I know how to check my equipment and have the general experience necessary to know if I'm getting into a bad situation.
If I had to get certified abroad, I'd pick a spot KNOWN for diving. You'd not only be able to take full advantage of good conditions but you'll have a better chance of coming across online reviews of the shop/school.
I can't completely cross out schools abroad because I've had several friends who were also dive masters work in random countries as instructors.

+1 on what who said.... scuba lessons a hit or miss and its a gamble I don't think you should take if you decide to just walk in some place offering padi-certified courses. I personally know this couple who got certification from god knows where and my other friends who dive are bewildered how the lady got certified judging by how clumsy and careless she is underwater. oh, btw- if you do want to learn to dive and do it here I can definitely hook you up with good instructors and groups.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Yeah, if the difference is only a couple of hundred bucks (maybe), I'd be more concerned with how I got my c card than how fast and cheap I got my c card.

It's not hard to get bad equipment, advice, or instructors. I'd just be really weary of a place that promises to get me certified in a few hours. The concepts are very basic and the actual practice is very basic, but much like driving a car if you don't know what you're doing you're really setting yourself or someone else up for some bad ****.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, down here its 300 minimum and you have to buy your own gear. I was hoping for an outfit where gear could be rented and everything could be knocked out in 3-4 days for the same price or cheaper (preferably). Can't be lugging around a mask and ******* fins.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Jesus those look gorgeous.

Got an appointment for vaccines tomorrow. Didn't realize how many ******* shots you need to get. Damn. Hopefully, I'm not to late to get them all.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread gets me in a travelling mood.

I'm not certain I'd go through the trouble of SCUBA cert unless you're going to do a LOT of diving. I love snorkeling....

Last edited:

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1 on snorkeling.... jeesh I was drinking with this dive resort guy and our friends last night... all those gears, certification and stuff.... wow!

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I thought you were certified?

Well, down here its 300 minimum and you have to buy your own gear. I was hoping for an outfit where gear could be rented and everything could be knocked out in 3-4 days for the same price or cheaper (preferably). Can't be lugging around a mask and ******* fins.

Yeah, if you're abroad at a touristy spot then no question the rentals would all be included as part of the package.

I think snorkeling would only be cheating yourself, both short term and long. You don't have to dive very often to make it worth your while to be certified.

The only context I'd see you not trying to get certified would be you'd have no real interest in diving after your trip and/or diving was something you thought you could check out to kill time at prime spots. If it's something like that, then quite a few places would run "Discover SCUBA" programs that basically give you a couple of hours to get used to the equipment before being coddled into the water.

But to have to do that more than once would make me blow my brains out. I'd just get certified and be done with it.

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I do have an interest in diving, and hitting the Great Barrier Reef is one of my bucket list items. Not to mention that I love the water.

So how do I pick out a good place from a bad place, even if its touristy?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score

I do have an interest in diving, and hitting the Great Barrier Reef is one of my bucket list items. Not to mention that I love the water.
So how do I pick out a good place from a bad place, even if its touristy?

Narrow it down by country and then go from there. Hell, if I googled "Costa Rica dive school" I'm sure I'd get plenty of english-written entries with reviews from other travelers. Same can probably be said for the other countries.

Really, I'd just go by reviews and recommendations from others.
me? hell I don't even know how to swim and I think I'm the only one on this island who doesn't.

And I used to think you were cool...

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just got back from immunizations. Down 3 bills with possibly another 2 to go. You guys recommend malaria drugs?

I nver take malaria drugs. nasty side effects.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Certain anti-malarics can be pretty rough depending on the person. Doxi may not be a good fit if you're planning to spend a lot of time in the sun.

I take information like that with a grain of salt. You'll see reports of how CR has malaria when really it's localized to a very specific part of the country that happens to be one of the least likely places for tourists to visit. Dengue is more of a problem, and even then it's subject to certain spots and waves.

I'd take a good look at where you're going, malaria maps are easy enough to find on the net.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads