1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Rambo's World Adventure

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Rambo, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Teger

Teger Senior member

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Indeed. Ten days until lift off. no?

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

More or less. I haven't even looked into backpacks yet!

Looking like Jamaica, then the DR, then Cuba, and then into Mexico. Following that, winding my way southward through the CA's and into South America.

4. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

whats after the americas?

5. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

6. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

Rambo, you may have addressed this in here but I didn't really want to read 17 pages... Why the decision of the islands and South America instead of Europe? Was the decision mostly motivated by cost?

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Reynard - neither. Its a matter of progression. The islands are closest, and I thought it would be a good place to start. Then, the closest is into Mexico and I can progress southward from there into central and south america. After that, I'm going to head into Africa/ME and Europe. Or Europe and Africa/ME. Then Eastern Europe and Asia

Still haven't chosen a backpack or gotten any supplies together.

8. whodini

whodini Senior member

Maybe if you spent less time being a horrible scrabble player/fapper and more time at a travel shop you'd actually be somewhere by now.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

what's a travel shop?

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

A shop wher you buy goods for travel! :foo:

11. whodini

whodini Senior member

That's your first problem.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

So we're both asshole's then. Great. Now fill me in, genius.

13. whodini

whodini Senior member

A place like this: http://www.distantlands.com/

I mean, it can be overpriced because it's independent but it's great to look around and find things that you might not have thought about for your trip.

Another point that's REALLY worth mentioning is to talk to your bank about the trip and see what their policy is with regards to having a back-up ATM card. Having one mailed to you abroad is a clusterfuck of clusterfucks. Without a back-up, your itinerary plays to the whim of FedEx and their offices abroad. One week? Two weeks?

For most people, this isn't really a concern, but for the kind of traveling you're doing, the card can be lost/stolen, copied at an ATM, or eaten by a machine. In the past three years, all three have happened to my old man while living and traveling through South America.

An alternative to having a copy would be to set cash aside for a friend, a really good one, maybe one that's a doctor, who won't spend it on booze (on second thought, maybe not a doc), in case you need money wired via Western Union. Like I told you with Cuba, it's a good option to have.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You're homeless in four days, aren't you? When's take off date?

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'll be staying with the person I used to take care of. Looks like my Nashville trip isn't happening after all :sadpanda:. Going to be going to Jamaica towards the end of the first week of April.

Two Q's for tonight before I get completely hammered:

- Looks like I'm going to be ditching my iPhone. Any recommendations on a good phone that will be usefully pretty much everywhere?

-Do you think I need one of those money belt/fanny pack things to hide my shit in while I'm walking around?

16. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

yes. a money belt is always a good thing. one that can be concealed under your shirt/or pants to store a few larger bills and a copy of your passport.

17. whodini

whodini Senior member

Well that sucks about Nashville. Don't worry, I'm sure Derek and I can figure out ways to get by your loss.

Just run a check on ebay for an unlocked GSM phone and make sure it's a quad band model. Something like Nokia or Samsung that's all over the goddamn place and won't be hard to find a charger for, or that uses a mini-usb charger that you can easily replace. You can find some for under $100 easy and that way you won't look like a mark when you're abroad if you need to pull it out. The phone, that is. I emphasize the quad band because weird countries like mine use AT&T bands and not T-Mobile, Sprint, etc.

You don't NEED the hidden wallet but I use one if I'm out on a long trip. It's way easier to have cash on you that's not in a thick wallet or that'll come out of your pockets. And it's not all that uncomfortable, either. It also makes for a great way to carry a copy of your passport.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  18. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

- ditching the iphone and bringing a cheap quadband nokia was discussed earlier. by me and albert. :angry:
    - on the fence with these fanny packs.... if there is one that is invisible then I suppose they're okay. otherwise those big ones I see tourists use are useless and offers minimal security. and they're tacky like hell.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  19. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti
    Before you depart scan all your important docs, e.g., passport (color), traveler's check receipts, credit card(s), e-tickets, important medical info if you have some pre-existing condiiton or prescription, birth certificate and contact phone numbers, and store in the cloud, such as gmail or hotmail. Later if you need a doc, you can always find a computer w/ internet, download, and print. The contact numbers are if you lose or destroy the phone. Get a cheap Nokia or Sammy that no one wants to steal.

Don't forget to inform your bank you're going overseas so they don't decline charges.

If you plan to use public internet cafes to conduct online banking check that antivirus software is installed and definitions are updated. Why? Keystroke loggers have been found installed in cyber cafes. When done clear the cache and reboot. Keep in mind that many browsers prompt one to save user names and passwords, and if the language is one you don't know, you may inadvertently accept when you want to decline. Know which buttons to click and which checkboxes to uncheck.

Don't wear a fanny pack. In your pockets carry only what you can afford to lose, but don't carry too little which could require you to publicly pull out your secreted funds, thereby displaying the location to others.

Bon voyage.

20. tropics

tropics Senior member

/\ good stuff right there