• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph's Preview Sale

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
man not hating or anything on ralph, i like him a lot, but ... some people like him too much

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
ugh everytime ralph has a sale the thread devolves into marlow fetishism...
QFT, although admittedly I'm guilty of contributing to it.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anybody comment on the cashmere cable crewneck?
Worth the price even with the sale?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
man not hating or anything on ralph, i like him a lot, but ... some people like him too much

Inconceivable.

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Anyone have a code for the presale that they're not planning on using? PM me if you're so graciously inclined.

Thebomb85019

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
Can anybody comment on the cashmere cable crewneck?
Worth the price even with the sale?

I just bought the v-neck cashmere and the cashmere is very good quality (italian cashmere). Construction is a little bit questionable because it is made in China but so far no problems, only time will tell.

Not bad for 250-ish with the discount.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wearing my marlows today.

Picked up some suede tassels on this sale, and I plan to do a little more damage next week.

I think i'll hold off on the Italian made cord jackets until the end of the season.

A.K.A.

Reaction score
On Thursday morning I called the store in Charlotte, NC and I asked for the sales associate from whom I purchased a pair of moleskine jeans and a custom-fit shirt at the beginning of October. I told her I had not received any coupons for the impending sale. I asked how I could get on that mailing list.

She told me that when a customer makes a purchase at the store, they enter the customer's mailing address. Corporate decides to whom they mail the discount postcards.

I asked her if she would extend the courtesy of the presale 40% discount, and then apply the 15% kicker. She agreed to do that for me. I asked her to order for me a 44L Howard navy wool topcoat for $711. It is being shipped directly to my home accross the state line for only $15.00 and no sales tax.

Coincidentally, the discount coupon/invitation to the presale and extra 15% discount card arrived in the mail from New York in Thursdays mail.

Moral of the story, if you want this discount ask for it. It is very likely you will get it.

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.K.A.
On Thursday morning I called the store in Charlotte, NC and I asked for the sales associate from whom I purchased a pair of moleskine jeans and a custom-fit shirt at the beginning of October. I told her I had not received any coupons for the impending sale. I asked how I could get on that mailing list.

She told me that when a customer makes a purchase at the store, they enter the customer's mailing address. Corporate decides to whom they mail the discount postcards.

I asked her if she would extend the courtesy of the presale 40% discount, and then apply the 15% kicker. She agreed to do that for me. I asked her to order for me a 44L Howard navy wool topcoat for $711. It is being shipped directly to my home accross the state line for only $15.00 and no sales tax.

Coincidentally, the discount coupon/invitation to the presale and extra 15% discount card arrived in the mail from New York in Thursdays mail.

Moral of the story, if you want this discount ask for it. It is very likely you will get it.

Did she look for your name/email/phone number in a database of some kind, or did you just say that you are a previous customer and she took you at your word?

Exalt

Reaction score
Is this sale basically on everything or select items?

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score

Good deal. It seems like you lucked out on the no sales tax. They usually charge sales tax in the state the store is located in or your local state sales tax unless they do not have a physical store in your state.

coolwaterz

Reaction score

same exact situation for me. i asked them why i never receive any mail notices regarding promotions and the guy on the phone looked up my account. He saw that I had made quite a few purchases from polo.com and extended me a presale code. the next day i got that invitational in the mail

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timeless Fashion
Good deal. It seems like you lucked out on the no sales tax. They usually charge sales tax in the state the store is located in or your local state sales tax unless they do not have a physical store in your state.

Physical stores don't charge sales tax to ship out of state, but when you order using the 1-800 (or 1-888) number to get something you saw online, then you will be charged sales tax, unless the item is shipped to a state w/o sales tax (or lack of RL store as you mentioned).

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Physical stores don't charge sales tax to ship out of state, but when you order using the 1-800 (or 1-888) number to get something you saw online, then you will be charged sales tax, unless the item is shipped to a state w/o sales tax (or lack of RL store as you mentioned).
This has been my experience with the RL brick & mortar stores, too. It's always surprised me because my understanding is that they should be charging the sales tax of the state to where the goods are being sent, but I've never questioned this with them, and won't. However, Brooks Brothers's b&m stores will charge your state's sales tax when shipping items, which in my case with the Chicago store still results in 3% savings for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads