• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren

Marcus1999

Reaction score
Once again, thanks for the informative replies so far, indeed very interesting to hear everyone's different perspectives on and connotations of RL.

Would also be helpful if anyone would like to share how/when they first encountered the brand and what made you (possibly) gravitate towards it?

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Once again, thanks for the informative replies so far, indeed very interesting to hear everyone's different perspectives on and connotations of RL.

Would also be helpful if anyone would like to share how/when they first encountered the brand and what made you (possibly) gravitate towards it?

late 1980’s?
My grade school/high school didn’t require a school uniform. Polo shirt or polo button down was sort of the de facto uniform at school.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
first time, probably as a kid, but that might not have been real RL rather some knock off in Asia (and that's when "the" polo shirt was Lacoste (at least in Taiwan) rather than RL.

fast forward 2009, looking for cheap buy on B&S on SF, and doing a ton of reading, really liked RLBL Anthony then (still do, but would probably do as a tuxedo or dinner jacket rather than suit) and scored some on cheap here, looked at RRL when I want to buy some jeans, officer chino, just because I trusted RL, and a lot deal then. Always like RL's catalog, though have definitely end up with less CM from RL over the years...

Marcus1999

Reaction score
first time, probably as a kid, but that might not have been real RL rather some knock off in Asia (and that's when "the" polo shirt was Lacoste (at least in Taiwan) rather than RL.

fast forward 2009, looking for cheap buy on B&S on SF, and doing a ton of reading, really liked RLBL Anthony then (still do, but would probably do as a tuxedo or dinner jacket rather than suit) and scored some on cheap here, looked at RRL when I want to buy some jeans, officer chino, just because I trusted RL, and a lot deal then. Always like RL's catalog, though have definitely end up with less CM from RL over the years...
Thank you! What do you reckon drew you to Ralph Lauren to begin with?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t think I thought much about RL until I start my first real job and move to NYC in 2007, think back then the Mansion and Bergdorf Goodman all are “magical” place if you want to look at CM stuff as a beginner (and if you want to take inspiration). BB was more like “oh 3 shirts for $169”, didn’t know much about Paul Stuart until later

Marcus1999

Reaction score
I don’t think I thought much about RL until I start my first real job and move to NYC in 2007, think back then the Mansion and Bergdorf Goodman all are “magical” place if you want to look at CM stuff as a beginner (and if you want to take inspiration). BB was more like “oh 3 shirts for $169”, didn’t know much about Paul Stuart until later
Thanks for input!

Marcus1999

Reaction score

This has been a wealth of information for my University-essay, would truly appreciate any further input, on how you view RL in relation to preppy or just general reflections on the topic. Writing from a part of Europe which doesn't have a very prominent "Preppy-scene", it's cool to get input and hear what everyone thinks, especially since you all seem very knowledgeable and have interesting points to make.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw Ralph Lauren in person in the late 60s arranging his Wide Ties
at Bloomingdales in Manhattan. Fast forward 25-30 years, I saw him at the Pebble
Beach Concours wearing a double breasted /button one blue blazer and canary yellow
slacks. In the intervening years he had become one of the major US collectors and
restorers of classic autos. His 1938 Bugatti Type 57sc Atlantic coupe:
HNWT6DgoBc14riaEeLCzGYopkqYBKxpGKqfNWfgr368M9Wj7QkYSzGpCMqHLcDFMqBVQwDq9c5zghbNmbT6BpLohv2Cfy...jpeg

Last edited:

Marcus1999

Reaction score
I saw Ralph Lauren in person in the late 60s arranging his Wide Ties
at Bloomingdales in Manhattan. Fast forward 25-30 years, I saw him at the Pebble
Beach Concours wearing a double breasted /button one blue blazer and canary yellow
slacks. In the intervening years he had become one of the major US collectors and
restorers of classic autos. His 1938 Bugatti Type 57sc Atlantic coupe:
View attachment 1608793
That's very cool, thanks a lot for sharing. You a "fan" of the brand otherwise?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's very cool, thanks a lot for sharing. You a "fan" of the brand otherwise?
No really. I bought some Polo in the 80s and I never liked the fit, especially the
trousers. At the time, and through the 90s, I mostly wore Chipp RTW and MTM
and Norman Hilton. I also found some Polo too "theatrical" for me. I haven't tried it on
in years at least since the Polo Shops closed in the San Francisco and Palo Alto, CA.

Marcus1999

Reaction score
No really. I bought some Polo in the 80s and I never liked the fit, especially the
trousers. At the time, and through the 90s, I mostly wore Chipp RTW and MTM
and Norman Hilton. I also found some Polo too "theatrical" for me. I haven't tried it on
in years at least since the Polo Shops closed in the San Francisco and Palo Alto, CA.
Thanks!

adrianvo

Reaction score

I'm really only a fan of the Purple Label line, I think the fabrics used are very interesting and unexpected - as well as great details like sharp shoulders and massive lapels. I also love how they incorporate Fair Isle knitwear and other early 20th century details into their suiting. I also think they are able to pull of combinations that you wouldn't expect to work.

I think every other line has declined hard in quality and is not really worth it anymore.

Some examples:

07eb33168e20039ea6aa0ed14aed6fa7.jpg

30a800d76e2776d102806adaf2394a6e.jpg

66bee14845962dcd984e23b65489da0f.jpg

Yes, I've posted this before. Sue me!
7125f89a3043a79d6ceeca9861701b87.jpg

fdeea25e64ff1a403968686147c1d507.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads