• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren

ac106

Reaction score
Lauren Ralph Lauren and Polo has distinct different label and are carried at different store. I never look at the Macy stuff think they actually say Lauren Ralph Lauren on the label for the Macy/Lord Taylor type of stuff.

Macy’s definitely sells Polo. So does Marshalls. are you saying that this is different Polo than from the Polo store/ RL website? how would one know the difference?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You mean Polo shirt or the Polo brand, pretty sure all Macy says Lauren Ralph Lauren instead of Polo

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Macy’s definitely sells Polo. So does Marshalls. are you saying that this is different Polo than from the Polo store/ RL website? how would one know the difference?

my questions as well
How does one know if the polo at Macy’s or the Macy’s overstock store is the real one or not? Do you look at the tag for country of origin or other identifier?
Or how about the outlet (like how Brooks brothers has 346 on their outlet produced goods)

I beleive for suits the label says Lauren.
but for casual wear they have a lot of Polo goods, and I don’t know how this would be differentiated from their mainline offerings?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some of the best-dressed people I know buy RL overstock and outlet stuff. Back in the day, people I knew got their stuff from Marshalls, warehouses, or mainline department stores.

If you focus just on buying whatever is "good quality" and "internet approved," you will likely end up looking like a nerd, whether in RL or some other brand.

If you develop an eye for style, then you will be able to mix and match things however you want, regardless of where they came from. I think you will also wear clothes in a way that looks cooler.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Some of the best-dressed people I know buy RL overstock and outlet stuff. Back in the day, people I knew got their stuff from Marshalls, warehouses, or mainline department stores.

If you focus just on buying whatever is "good quality" and "internet approved," you will likely end up looking like a nerd, whether in RL or some other brand.

If you develop an eye for style, then you will be able to mix and match things however you want, regardless of where they came from. I think you will also wear clothes in a way that looks cooler.

I think, at least with me, the issue is being burned too many times where I don’t trust the brand. I don’t know if it’s one of the products I liked or one that just didn’t feel well made.

I don’t view myself as a product quality snob, always insisting in paying for handmade over factory produced or whatever. I’m more about comfort, longevity and style/appearance. So that’s not my concern.
but with Ralph Lauren (and again, I have not really explored the brand in a decade or more), I just don’t trust the brand.

looking at the website they do have some nice styles though, I wouldn’t be against re-introducing myself. I’m not a hater.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The selection of overstock/seasonal items available at the RL outlets is dwindling. Most of what they offer is made specifically for and sold at the outlets.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Also, for what it’s worth, I’m really not trying to be negative towards this topic. I know on message boards posts can seem to be going one direction rather than what is intended.

I appreciate the info provided here. I am asking these questions to learn, rather than argue or speak as an authority.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A lot of the stuff at RL depends on what kind of look you're trying to create. Many of the things that would be considered "garish" or "low quality" here can and have been worn in ways that I think look quite stylish. A lot of Polo guys I know gravitate towards the loud, block-colored pieces with big logos.

But that type of look is outside of what we normally talk about on this board. So for the stuff that we discuss on this board, I think these pieces are good.

s7-1397039_alternate10.jpeg

Polo fishing jacket: Inspired by classic American pieces. Can be worn with jeans and a Shetland sweater. Wear it with the collar popped at the back like the model, but maybe not the pre-distressed jeans. Super cool, classic, and much more interesting than a lot of CM casualwear (especially that boring Italian stuff). On sale right now for $375.

s7-1303172_alternate10.jpeg

Polo flag sweater: An iconic RL piece. Wear it with literally anything -- under Barbour jackets, the fishing jacket posted above, denim trucker jackets, etc. Basically anything that can be described as Ameicana. Wear it on Fourth of Julys and election days.

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 1.26.29 PM.png
P0.jpeg

Polo field jacket: Unfortunately, sometimes they kill this design with too many fake patches. But it's a perennial and when they do it right, it's among the best. So many good details -- the way they make the zipper, the drawstring waist, the enzyme washing, and the faded "removed patch" details. Wear it with chinos or jeans, and then a sweatshirt underneath. Can be found on eBay and Grailed. IMO, better than most field jackets from niche and coveted Japanese labels.

s7-1249517_lifestyle.jpeg

RRL cargo pants: A good silhouette. The drawstring hem and big pockets can add an interesting silhouette to your outfit. Also available on RL's website in black, navy, and camo. Pair them with work boots, a flannel shirt, and any kind of workwear-styled outerwear. Can also be worn with cool sneakers. Would wear this with vintage Polo Sportsman or Polo Country outerwear on eBay, if you can find some that fits.

s7-1326322_lifestyle.jpeg

RRL chambray shirt: Not much to say about this. It's a staple. The workwear equivalent of an oxford button-down. This is a great version of it.

s7-1064514_lifestyle.jpeg

RRL jeans: RRL has a ton of different jeans in various cuts and made from different fabrics. Most CM guys are going to want the slim-straight.

s7-1135541_lifestyle.jpeg

RRL officer chinos: Another staple in the RRL range. Just a good, workhorse chino with a more rugged sensibility than what you'd get from, like, Bonobos.

174166010_168089658513883_8010685209880625957_n.jpg

RRL cardigan: RRL makes some really incredible shawl collar cardigans. They have shawl collars and Cowichans (or versions of Cowichans). They also have machine knit vs. handknit versions. IMO, no one does a better version of this in this category. Just an incredibly beautiful garment.

Lots of other stuff, but the above is just a handful.

Last edited:

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
The site right now is just the spring/summer collection, so I would just comb through that and see what you like.

just ordered a pair of chinos from the polo line.
I guess I will test them and find out.
interested to see:
Weight of the fabric, will it be the heavy stiff stuff I sometimes have had with their shorts, or will it be a nice softer material that breaths a bit better.
size. Will it run 2 inches larger in the waist with a long rise like a lot of American brands run compared to say Italian suit makers. (I have a recent purchase pair of j crew chinos that I are so understated in their actual size, can’t even get away with them casually as oversized comfort clothes)

thanks for the info.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no. I mean “Polo Ralph Lauren”. Macy’s definitely sells it

times definitely have changed then, guess that’s not checking Macy since 2007 will do... though I still think you can just skip Macy all together just buy from RL directly, you more less hit same sale on the stuff you actually want, same thing with Bloomingdales etc

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just ordered a pair of chinos from the polo line.
I guess I will test them and find out.
interested to see:
Weight of the fabric, will it be the heavy stiff stuff I sometimes have had with their shorts, or will it be a nice softer material that breaths a bit better.
size. Will it run 2 inches larger in the waist with a long rise like a lot of American brands run compared to say Italian suit makers. (I have a recent purchase pair of j crew chinos that I are so understated in their actual size, can’t even get away with them casually as oversized comfort clothes)

thanks for the info.

polo chino is usually TTS, the only oddball in RL is RRL it can be TTS or vanity based on the fits. Which jcrew chino they got quite a few fits, some of them are ridiculous slim in leg, so are you saying just the waist is too big (my only jcrew is w&b white jeans that I downsize 1)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh and I really like RL various derivative of m65 jacket even if it’s not the “accurate type”.

for example this RLBL escape jacket, it’s more city sleek than “proper” but I like it a lot and I wear it from fall to early winter, by itself, or over suits

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads