• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ralph Lauren

pasadena man

Reaction score
He’s sort of like the Steve Jobs of fashion, minus the nuttiness.

He had and still has a clear vision and is obsessed with every aspect of how his clothing is branded. He basically opened the RL stores because the retail partners just didn’t get it.

For anyone who has yet to go into an RL flagship store, do yourself a favor and go.
Apt comparison. As a career marketer, I have often thought that I would pay money (let’s say $500-$1000) to be an invisible fly on the wall in a meeting with any of three guys: Warren Buffet on business strategy, and Steve Jobs and/or Ralph Lauren in product development team work sessions.

As it happens, I had the opportunity to be that fly on the wall with Warren Buffet (bucket list item, for sure). Steve Jobs now impossible, Ralph Lauren extremely unlikely.

What intrigues me about Lauren in this context are the consistent awed and stunned accounts of his apparently infinite fashion bandwidth. He consistently sees things that no one else in the room does (As did Steve Jobs). And America, and the world, are better and more beautiful because of that vision.

I agree with DWW that, on the basis of breadth and duration of achievement and influence, he may be the top contender for men’s fashion GOAT.

Marcus1999

Reaction score
Apt comparison. As a career marketer, I have often thought that I would pay money (let’s say $500-$1000) to be an invisible fly on the wall in a meeting with any of three guys: Warren Buffet on business strategy, and Steve Jobs and/or Ralph Lauren in product development team work sessions.

As it happens, I had the opportunity to be that fly on the wall with Warren Buffet (bucket list item, for sure). Steve Jobs now impossible, Ralph Lauren extremely unlikely.

What intrigues me about Lauren in this context are the consistent awed and stunned accounts of his apparently infinite fashion bandwidth. He consistently sees things that no one else in the room does (As did Steve Jobs). And America, and the world, are better and more beautiful because of that vision.

I agree with DWW that, on the basis of breadth and duration of achievement and influence, he may be the top contender for men’s fashion GOAT.
Thanks! Also very true, in regard to his vision. Plus, he seems to have had such a drive and determination to see it through, a kind of clarity which is always admirable when people start their own companies and so forth.
As a career marketer (cool sounding job btw), would you mind sharing if you have any thoughts in regard to how RL have positioned himself, in line (though this is a simplification) with "the Ivy leauge set" in a way?

pasadena man

Reaction score
Thanks! Also very true, in regard to his vision. Plus, he seems to have had such a drive and determination to see it through, a kind of clarity which is always admirable when people start their own companies and so forth.
As a career marketer (cool sounding job btw), would you mind sharing if you have any thoughts in regard to how RL have positioned himself, in line (though this is a simplification) with "the Ivy leauge set" in a way?
There is a long SF thread on Brooks Brothers: The New Brooks Brothers. The last couple of months have had some good discussions on the BB/RL relationship.

I am a marketing pro but haven’t worked brand side in men’s fashion. There are a lot of industry pros on the board who can address that question. Notably, in the thread above, DWW expands on the excellent summary that he provided earlier in response to your question.

Marcus1999

Reaction score
There is a long SF thread on Brooks Brothers: The New Brooks Brothers. The last couple of months have had some good discussions on the BB/RL relationship.

I am a marketing pro but haven’t worked brand side in men’s fashion. There are a lot of industry pros on the board who can address that question. Notably, in the thread above, DWW expands on the excellent summary that he provided earlier in response to your question.
Yes, loved reading DWW's post earlier, very insightful and informative! Thanks for tip on the Brooks Brothers thread.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.