• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren...What Happened???

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
imageWIS - You hardly have the physique of their target market (gentelmen above 12 years old).

It's not my fault the target American audience is full of overweight men. The 1st through 3rd seasons of RLPL used to be very trimly cut, i.e. made in Europe and cut for the European market, whereas over time the items got bigger and bigger to accommodate fatter and fatter Americans.

When I was in Europe and the ME this summer the clothes were a lot slimmer than what is found in the US.

How old are you and what's your physical exercise routine like?

Jon.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
It’s not my fault the target American audience is full of overweight men. The 1st through 3rd seasons of RLPL used to be very trimly cut, i.e. made in Europe and cut for the European market, whereas over time the items got bigger and bigger to accommodate fatter and fatter Americans.
My experience with RLPL is the exact oposite. My CB-made RLPL suits are more roomy and cut fuller (at the same size) than the current offering of SA-made RLPL (which are now cut very slim). Are you talking from experience or just throwing a theory out there, hoping that it will stick?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
My experience with RLPL is the exact oposite. My CB-made RLPL suits are more roomy and cut fuller (at the same size) than the current offering of SA-made RLPL (which are now cut very slim). Are you talking from experience or just throwing a theory out there, hoping that it will stick?

Experience. Asshole.

Jon.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Experience. Asshole.
I doubt it. Your only experience is spending hours locked in your room posting on internet forums about all sorts of topics you know nothing about and for which no-one takes your opinion seriously. Has Mom made lunch for you yet? You sure love your baloney sandwiches, the ones with the funny face

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I doubt it. Your only experience is spending hours locked in your room posting on internet forums about all sorts of topics you know nothing about and for which no-one takes your opinion seriously. Has Mom made lunch for you yet? You sure love your baloney sandwiches, the ones with the funny face

nevermind.

Jon .

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with this. I can wear an older CB 4 RLPL in 38R but I cannot fit into a 38R from the current Italian made RLPL jackets.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
I agree with this. I can wear an older CB 4 RLPL in 38R but I cannot fit into a 38R from the current Italian made RLPL jackets.

My experience is directly opposite. Maybe the jackets I bought happened to be cut a certain way...? The waist on the CB items were distinctly more shaped and formed more of a pronounced hour glass shape than the SA's stuff I have tired on.

Jon.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 1st through 3rd seasons of RLPL used to be very trimly cut, i.e. made in Europe and cut for the European market, whereas over time the items got bigger and bigger to accommodate fatter and fatter Americans.

RLPL has never been made anywhere but Europe. The only thing that's changed is that manufacture switched from Chester Barrie (UK) to St Andrews (Italy.)

Also, I'm not absolutely certain, but I believe that RLPL started out, and has always been, primarily targeted at the American market. It seems unlikely to me that Lauren would try to market what is essentially English styling interpreted for America to Europe before the U.S. Now, they may have different cuts for the same sizes depending on whether the item is destined for the American or European market.

What I do know, and numerous other posters in the RLPL fit thread in MC will confirm this, is that Purple Label runs slim and small compared to the vast majority of other brands out there. I can't imagine what you could be using as a yardstick to consider RLPL anything but slim.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
RLPL has never been made anywhere but Europe. The only thing that's changed is that manufacture switched from Chester Barrie (UK) to St Andrews (Italy.)

Also, I'm not absolutely certain, but I believe that RLPL started out, and has always been, primarily targeted at the American market. It seems unlikely to me that Lauren would try to market what is essentially English styling interpreted for America to Europe before the U.S. Now, they may have different cuts for the same sizes depending on whether the item is destined for the American or European market.

What I do know, and numerous other posters in the RLPL fit thread in MC will confirm this, is that Purple Label runs slim and small compared to the vast majority of other brands out there. I can't imagine what you could be using as a yardstick to consider RLPL anything but slim.

My point was that it was made in Europe and cut for that market (even though it was not sold there), i.e. there was no variation between the cut of a CB jacket sold in the US as RLPL and a CB jacket sold in the UK as a CB jacket.

In the world of RL, RRL is the ‘slim’ brand.

Jon.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My point was that it was made in Europe and cut for that market (even though it was not sold there), i.e. there was no variation between the cut of a CB jacket sold in the US as RLPL and a CB jacket sold in the UK as a CB jacket.
I have some older Chester Barrie stuff and it doesn't strike me as fitting as small as current (i.e., St Andrews) RLPL.

In the world of RL, RRL is the "˜slim' brand.

Jon.

? RRL is like the premium sportswear brand. Does RRL even make suits and sportcoats?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience is directly opposite. Maybe the jackets I bought happened to be cut a certain way...? The waist on the CB items were distinctly more shaped and formed more of a pronounced hour glass shape than the SA's stuff I have tired on.

Jon.

I agree that the CB stuff is wasp waisted but they are cut large for the tagged size. I bought a 46L (my size) jacket and it was pretty large. I had the waist taken a good bit more.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
I have some older Chester Barrie stuff and it doesn't strike me as fitting as small as current (i.e., St Andrews) RLPL.

I have no explanation, all I know is that my CB RLPL stuff was off the rack, sans alterations slimmer (especially at the waist) than the current SA RLPL stuff I tried on.

On a side note, I have been less than impressed with RL's newer offerings, they lack that certain something found 5 years ago. Maybe the Florida stores get less than stellar merchandise as of late?

? RRL is like the premium sportswear brand. Does RRL even make suits and sportcoats?

No. I'm just saying that in the world of RL, the truly slim items come from RRL. RLBL is the "˜slim' version of RLPL, of sorts. As per your previous question "˜slim' means that slim people can wear the clothing with minor alterations; as an example, the RL website states that when purchasing a "˜custom fit' polo, people who want a "˜standard fit' (i.e. people that aren't slim) should buy one size larger. The same principal should be true for RLBL, but it's not.

Jon.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. I'm just saying that in the world of RL, the truly slim items come from RRL. RLBL is the "˜slim' version of RLPL, of sorts. As per your previous question "˜slim' means that slim people can wear the clothing with minor alterations; as an example, the RL website states that when purchasing a "˜custom fit' polo, people who want a "˜standard fit' (i.e. people that aren't slim) should buy one size larger. The same principal should be true for RLBL, but it's not.

Jon.

Alright dude I don't even understand what you're saying anymore so I'm gonna just bow out.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
You can argue that RLBL isn't "slim"'; but, it certainly is "trim."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads