• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Stanton shoes. NOT Purple Label???

RayRay

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a pair of Ralph Lauren shoes on eBay thinking they were Purple Label but upon receiving them the model on the box was Stanton (item code on box reads 8019756921DM) which to my understanding (after doing a search on SF) is NOT purple label.

I emailed the seller requesting a refund due to the misleading title and this is what he replied:

Greetings,
Glad to hear the shoes arrived safely. I can see where your confusion originates from, the name. The shoes are indeed from the purple label line (fall '08), they are Blake welted with a hidden channel sole and hand made commissioned by Stefano Branchini. The subsequent Stanton model that is part of the polo line is commissioned by Sesto Meucci. The main differential is that the Purple label line is hand made from Edward Green, Crockett & Jones or Branchini. If you would like further confirmation you can contact the RL Madison Ave. Flagship.
Thanks and let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Can anyone assist and provide me with concrete info (anything that i can send over to the seller) justifying that the Stanton shoes are NOT purple label so i can claim a refund?

Thanks

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The listing is incorrect in the msrp by about 700 ish dollars!! The shoes have the RLPL script but if u have the box the color will likely say 'Polo Chestnut' or similar. They are mainline polo shoes in the eBay listing and not true RLPL shoes.
I would not pay anywhere close to the amount u paid for the shoes.

Regards.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So the seller is saying that just the box says Stanton and the shoes in them were something else?

Just post some pics of the shoes you got.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet you the seller is an SF member.

RayRay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
So the seller is saying that just the box says Stanton and the shoes in them were something else?

Just post some pics of the shoes you got.

I'm posting on my iPhone so I'll post pics when I get home.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
lol hopefully for the op's sake it wasn't. Those are def the Stantons.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sheesh I hope you didn't pay $600 for them. I mean, they're nice shoes, but not worth $600, which is more than MSRP if I remember correctly.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Sheesh I hope you didn't pay $600 for them.
Agreed. I recently sold a pair of them here for $60 shipped. Nice shoes but definitely Polo RL if they are Stantons. My pair looked identical and came in a blue Ralph Lauren box Edit: come to think of it... They didn't have that Ralph Lauren writing in the heel. I believe it said Polo Ralph Lauren. Maybe there's some truth to this? What were they originally a better quality RLPL shoe then sourced out somewhere else the following season and sold as Polo?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
Agreed. I recently sold a pair of them here for $60 shipped. Nice shoes but definitely Polo RL if they are Stantons. My pair looked identical and came in a blue Ralph Lauren box

Edit: come to think of it... They didn't have that Ralph Lauren writing in the heel. I believe it said Polo Ralph Lauren. Maybe there's some truth to this?

What were they originally a better quality RLPL shoe then sourced out somewhere else the following season and sold as Polo?

I bought mine new for $70 on yoox.com. I wouldn't pay more than around $200 for them. Quality is somewhat on par with AE.

Mine came in a RLPL box with RLPL shoe bags. I don't really care what they are, but all the markings hint at RLPL. Anyway, I like mine. I've received tons of complements from them and they look good.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hidden channel welt, tapered waist, combination heel with brads in the toe and heel. That and many other features are not present on any AEs.

Nice to know that someone out there thinks that the shoes i'm wearing today were worth $1360.
devil.gif

RayRay

Reaction score
So the general consensus is that they're not rlpl.

Anyone have any proof or concrete info which can validate it?

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You'll see in about 3 months. Leather doesn't age particularly well, which despite all the nice features on the shoe that skinnygoomba just listed, is why I'd agree they're worth around 200-300.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics