• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Spring 2009

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
maybe it's just on me, but it seems like all RL pics look so great on their site and runway shows but the real garments don't fit like that the last couple years I've bought anything polo.com most everything was returned for that reason
They are notorious for supposedly altering their clothes for photo shoots (e.g., pinning extra fabric out of sight) and cramming models into smaller sizes. Every pair of pants I have bought from polo.com has bared no resemblance to the photos. I don't quite get the subterfuge. If they know people like the slimmer look on display in photos, why don't they sell clothing that matches the look? If the excuse is that the average man doesn't really want slimmer trousers, then at least be honest about what the clothing looks like in photos.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they do a lot of pinning, but doesn't everybody? They're going for a perfrect, static look and that doesn't allow for a whole lot of freedom of movement in some cases and even though people are comfortable looking at models wearing that stuff I would wager a great deal of American guys still sees very form-fitting clothing as effeminate. They're not going to look the same on most of the populace anyway who (amazingly!) don't have the physique of a 6' 2" model with an 10" drop, so in addition you're kind of working with apples and oranges on that level too.

Black Label looks very slim on the models and is still slim in person, IMO, so GS you should probably just stick with that knowing your tastes. Purple Label is still slim by American tailored clothing standards but it's not TaT slim. If you're buying Polo...well GS you should know better than that fit-wise.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that Black Label matches the photos better than other lines, but I don't quite get the logic of making all the lines look like Black Label in the web store photos. I see the desire to project a certain image in advertising, but when it comes to modeling a particular pair of paints for sale on a web store I think they would be served better by being upfront about what you can expect to take home. If you want a roomier cut you are going to be put off by the skinny model in tight pants and browse over to Brooks Borhters. If you want a slimmer cut you are going to be disappointed when your giant pants arrive in the mail.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
If you're buying Polo...well GS you should know better than that fit-wise.

I know, and I still get suckered in by the purty pitchures
frown.gif

tho one of my fave cardigans is a Polo that I bought at a store that fits and looks like how it would online, but I was able to see it and wear it before buying

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I, personally, would buy almost everything from that collection. I wasn't too impressed with what I saw from this season's shows, except for Polo and Bastian.

okdc

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone noticed, or already mentioned it, but if you look up the show now on men.style.com, it is runway show on models, no longer manequins. Also, it is now only (?) 72 slides instead of 176, which I am not sure that I understand, but whatever.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who cares if the fashion pictures have no resemblance to real life?

RL is selling a lifestyle concept. People buy stuff that may or may not actually fit them, trying to buy into illusion that the same clothes on them will make them look like the model on the fashion spread.

extempore

Reaction score
Is it just me, or are the photos on the site linked really too small to discern anything aside from colours and patterns - and not textures or finer details? Ugh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics