• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren $$$$ Shoes - Worth it?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The c&j shell cordovan Giffords at RL are sweet, sweet boots. At discount, they are far less expensive than Alden's cigar shell. And they will last forever, or nearly so.

Bellum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
There are no more RTW EG RLPL* shoes.

*Double word score makes 144 points.

Is this true? I was hoping to buy some RLPL Grants damnit.

fence28

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bellum
Is this true? I was hoping to buy some RLPL Grants damnit.
I don't know if they stopped making them, but I saw a pair of RLPL Grants here in Lenox RL store that there selling.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
The c&j shell cordovan Giffords at RL are sweet, sweet boots. At discount, they are far less expensive than Alden's cigar shell. And they will last forever, or nearly so.

Did you pick up a pair?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fence28
I don't know if they stopped making them, but I saw a pair of RLPL Grants here in Lenox RL store that there selling.

And I'm pretty certain the Chicago store had them last month.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
And I'm pretty certain the Chicago store had them last month.

Yes, I recall seeing them there.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laxinthe303
You couldn't sound more nouveau riche if you tried. MOST rich people wear inexpensive, sensible clothes and spend their money on things that have no worth once they are acquired. I am in court every day in one of the wealthiest cities in the world, around people with seven figure incomes, and none of them dress lavishly.

Only fools dress lavishly in court.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
There were definitely some EGs for sale at the $600 mark - a black shoe though

Also, the SA couldn't tell me who is making the newer models that are made in Italy

So that G&G call is probably right in line

He couldn't tell you or didn't want to you? The PL shoes from Italy are made by Silvano Sassetti.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
He couldn't tell you or didn't want to you? The PL shoes from Italy are made by Silvano Sassetti.

He said RL wants to get away from distinguishing their shoes by the makers, and wants them known as "Ralph Lauren" shoes ... which is silly to me because if I'm spending that much on a shoe I want to know who made it

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
He said RL wants to get away from distinguishing their shoes by the makers, and wants them known as "Ralph Lauren" shoes ... which is silly to me because if I'm spending that much on a shoe I want to know who made it

But it makes good sense from a brand perspective as the vast majority of the public, especially those shopping at RL, are drawn to Polo, not Green, G&G, Sasetti etc.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They want to be able to change suppliers when ever they want.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
I went to the Ralph Lauren Mansion on Madison Avenue in New York City today. A great store, especially if you like their things.

I picked up a very nice pair of shoes... and flipped them over to find the marked-down 40% off price to be about $600. Full price was $1,100.

I put the shoes back down.

Do they not get holes in them? Do they last forever?

What am I missing that makes people put down this kind of money on these shoes?

fail-24.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When buying good shoes in that price range ... why not go directly to the source ... many of which have already been mentioned. Why pay Ralph's editing fees.

But in answer to your questions ... they can be reconditioned. And while they won't last forever, if you have a decent number of shoes ... and rotate your wearing of them ... they can last an amazingly long time.

As for the reason to spend that kind of money ... just look at the beauty of the shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads