1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ralph Lauren Rugby Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by NAMOR, Jul 28, 2011.

1. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

haha yeah ... never been inside and never actually shopped at jwills before. i wonder whats going to happen to that rugby/cafe space. its pretty huge

2. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Jack Wills is closing its Aubin & Wills brand, supposed to be like a Rugby RL version of Jack Wills, thought that was kind of funny.

I don't think Rugby was particularly losing money, unless it was mainly overhead costs that caused it to lose money - which would be hard for me to calculate if it was, I'm really hoping they do like a blow out close out sale soon... still waiting for it.

3. PreppyJ

PreppyJ Active Member

I just spoke with a couple people and apparently the Short Hills store (and one other one that I can't remember) will be the last stores to close, and will constantly be receiving transfers from other stores that close before them. So, they have a decent stoke, and will probably continue to with the exception of accessories for some reason. Also, in regards to the sale, the current 40% off one ends tomorrow, so I would look out for a better one starting in a couple days.

4. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

^Good tip. Love that mall...

5. Amelorn

Amelorn Senior member

Depends on your perspective. Rugby is a younger version of RL. Aubin is an older version of JW.

In any case, JW takes lots of shit in the UK for being overpriced, not genuine (very similar to criticism against vineyard vines), poor quality, "middle class," etc etc. Truth is, they will be my "replacement" for rugby as I look for another purveyor of fitted, colourful, vaguely preppy stuff that isn't as stodgy as BB or J Press.

6. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Ah I see, im not too familiar with Jack Wills. Who makes their suiting? Is the quality actually pretty nice?

I would say my favorite thing about Rugby is the whackiness, skulls, chief, fake teams and etc... My second favorite thing was sizing, 36R for reasonable prices and great quality.

I'll end up sourcing from multiple places, BB, J Press, Norman Hilton/Nick HIlton, Ralph Lauren, RRL, Jack Wills, maybe J Crew.. maybe....

7. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

You just named my favorite brands.

8. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Come on saturdays jcrew that uses 3rd party materials isnt half bad...most of it isnt even made in china. Its everything else that is made in china that is meh.

9. HOPA

HOPA New Member

Hello All,

Any new student discounts... my .edu is down, I cant get a new code... thank you in advance!

10. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

I didn't completely rule it out. I don't doubt that the italian wool ludlow's are pretty decent, and like Rugby some things are half canvassed, some have no canvassing.

Sid Mashburn also makes great suiting, and for the price they are really nice. Another alternative is Suit Supply, which is considerably cheaper, and good quality.

EDIT: Also I hear GANT (Rugger and Michael Bastian) is great too, although i've never handled their stuff, I'm inclined to believe so, it does look appealing. I'll probably head there for some stuff too, eventually - seems more in line with Rugby than J Crew ever was.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  11. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Gant fit is stuffed. The offer us34r for blazers. The people claims gant fit is slim must be really fat. Plus gant is over priced made in china garbage. Tailoring is questionable. Fabric choice is also all over the place. I have one gant navy wool blazer. And will never waste my money on them.

12. albeindc

albeindc Senior member

I have a bunch of JCrew stuff, mainly shirts, which are actually quite nice if you get them on discount. They're good for casual and office wear at least. JCrew trends more towards "office prep" and "hipster" looks in my opinion.

I have two GANT shirts, one is a Rugger which I got at severe discount at an outlet, the other is the main line which I picked up (new!) for a song at a thrift shop. I agree with md2010 that the quality is all over the place, though, the Rugger shirt I have fits well. Definitely way overpriced if you're buying full retail.

13. EdwardB

EdwardB Senior member

Gant by MB/MB mainline is designed by an ex-Rugby designer, so that's probably your best bet in terms of that particular uber-prep aesthetic, even though it's decidedly more mature. Definitely some weird stuff here and there.

Also, +1 on SuitSupply. After alterations, my suit was like 600 and it could easily have retailed for 1K+ OTR.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  14. randomkoreandude

add club monaco to the list ... owned by RL so maybe some rugby creative guys can jump to CM

ive had VERY limited exp with gant. i think gant mainline is mostly oldschool boxy fit and not sf approved. you would want to stick with gant rugger and gant x mb. no idea on fit though. i had a size small gant rugger that i received as a gift and i since sold it since it fit big in the chest. i guess im an XS

15. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

True, Club Monaco has been stepping up its game lately. I still want that Cable Knit Notch Lapel Sport Coat from them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  16. Fitnesschrizzz

Fitnesschrizzz Active Member

Where can I get this piece!? Please post the link :)

17. randomkoreandude

that piece is long gone. i almost bought it last fall but waited for it to drop in price and missed it :(

18. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Haha, hence why I still want that piece, otherwise I wouldnt have mentioned wanting it, and would have mentioned how pleasurable it was to own it.

1 person likes this.
  19. giorgosaek21

giorgosaek21 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i m looking for this rr l sweat pants size medium
    can someone help me to find it

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  20. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]