• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Rugby Thread

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

didnt that just come out last month?

ya i mean i've been checking it out since it came out with the tweed run. lol.

i've been looking for a nice cardigan for a while now.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
University oxfords are good and come in some nice colors. I have seen the white, green, and blue. Green is a little too bright for me personally. Would love to try the purple/lavender.

Tail is short enough imo to wear untuck (I stand at 5'10). After many washes, the fit is pretty good, size small. I wish the collar was a bit more beefier/longer points and collar to sit higher up like some TB oxfords.

I did notice a little that the sleeve length may have shortened due to washes over time, but in general, I consider these shirts for casual wear and not to be mixed in use with more MC attire.

dogatemyhw

Reaction score
Apparently, "the tweed run" or whatever is somewhat limited edition. The knickers I ordered are almost gone (no size 32 hehe) so if you want them, I'd hop on it real quick!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Apparently, "the tweed run" or whatever is somewhat limited edition. The knickers I ordered are almost gone (no size 32 hehe) so if you want them, I'd hop on it real quick!
well, if you're in NYC, just go to the University and 12th, I am sure they would have most in stock

renn

Reaction score
On Rugby's website, a lot of sport coats and suits don't fit the models, the sleeves are too long. You can see how the sleeves are rolled up in order to fit in those shots. It's like someone grabbed his Dad's coat for school....

Is the too-long-sleeve an accurate property of Ivy/Prep style?

Last edited:

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

While I hesitate (and don't) pay full retail for their stuff (as mentioned above, enough product is left during their sales that it's keen to wait), I love the athletic cut of their tops. I've had my eye on their cricket sweater from this season - soon as it goes on sale...
You talking about the black one ? You may want to pull the trigger because it's reduced $38 to $90 - it's sharp, but I can't wrap my noggin' around a cricket sweater in black. Can anyone report on these pants, Straight Relaxed Chino and Vintage Chino University Pant ? Fit, rise, and vanity sized? The first doesn't look too relaxed, but someone here earlier mentioned "relaxed" are huge. Thanks and best regards.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You talking about the black one ? You may want to pull the trigger because it's reduced $38 to $90 - it's sharp, but I can't wrap my noggin' around a cricket sweater in black.

Can anyone report on these pants, Straight Relaxed Chino and Vintage Chino University Pant ? Fit, rise, and vanity sized? The first doesn't look too relaxed, but someone here earlier mentioned "relaxed" are huge.

Thanks and best regards.

Relaxed fit from what i've seen is huge. I wouldn't get it. As for their standard pant (at least from 2 seasons ago) fits slightly slimmer than the J. Crew classic, but not as slim as Urban Slim fit.

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know about Rugby selvedge jeans?
I copped some, they were Made In USA, and had same wash tag as RRL.

Any info would be appreciated.

Nizza

Reaction score

Would love to learn more about it as well

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been digging a bunch of Rugby's F/W '11 gear, including Tweed Run, too. But the sportcoats and suits seem overpriced for the construction, don't they?

I paid full retail for the tab collar chambray shirt, because I really like the juxtaposition of the chambray fabric with an otherwise refined shirt (straight yoke, no pocket, tab! collar!). I've only gotten to wear it once so far since it's been too warm.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've been digging a bunch of Rugby's F/W '11 gear, including Tweed Run, too. But the sportcoats and suits seem overpriced for the construction, don't they?

I paid full retail for the tab collar chambray shirt, because I really like the juxtaposition of the chambray fabric with an otherwise refined shirt (straight yoke, no pocket, tab! collar!). I've only gotten to wear it once so far since it's been too warm.
what did you wear it with? i have a similar shirt from rugby and Its been relatively difficult matching it with pants/jeans all while not looking like a cowboy

Last edited:

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what did you wear it with? i have a similar shirt from rugby and Its been relatively difficult matching it with pants/jeans all while not looking like a cowboy

I don't think this shirt says, "cowboy," because it has absolutely no Western details, like I described above (straight yoke instead of curved, no pockets instead of two with snaps, tab collar instead of point collar). Maybe if you wore it with jeans or other chambray... I wouldn't do that. Though I don't remember what I wore it with (chinos or gray trousers most likely), I could see it looking good with (at least) khaki chinos, brown corduroys, or gray trousers. I'm sure I wore a tie, since that's the whole point of the tab collar. I'll probably be wearing it a lot this fall/winter under cardigans with various chinos, corduroys, and flannel trousers, so I'll try to remember to take some fit pictures when I do.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a pair from a while back (2007 maybe) and they were pretty nice. The fit was a bit strange though. Was told it was White Oak Cone at the time not sure what it is not. Got it for $36 I think on sale!

Edit: They did have the limited edition box pair that was White Oak Cone for sure and made in the USA. So I wouldn't be surprised if all their selvedge is White Oak Cone.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads