• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Rugby Thread

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few items from them and I felt the quality has gone down from a few years ago. I have a University oxford from 4 years ago and it is much better than the same ones they had in store when I went last year. The newer one is much thinner and cheaper feeling. Also I think they started cutting their shirts a little more generously.

But I do agree, value wise, it is better than polo and RRL.

This is very true, I've gotten items since when the store first opened and there is a huge drop in quality. The initial line was also priced a lot lower. Real MOP, very well cut. Got their cotton peacoat for $50 and it's lasted me 5+ years of heavy use. Only really started fraying/fading this past spring. As you said, it's not as nice anymore (but still decent and I'd say better than blue label in terms of quality and fading). The cut has changed quick a bit, I used to wear larges and the mediums fit me better now (I have lost some weight but not to the point where I changed sizes).

Edit: Just remembered when some of the rugbys had leather patches on elbows as well as the choice of a few more patches for $5 each. I remember thinking damn $98 for this? Now it's at least $150 and nowhere close to as nice.

Rugby has great clothing and great prices, especially if you are a college student. All college students that can show proof of where they go to school (school ID or school email address) gets a 15% discount on everything in the store, whether it's a sale item or not.

This is false. It worked in stores until last winter and online until March or so. And when you combined, the student went down to 10% off the final sale price. It's only regular priced now. (at least for Northern California stores)

uniqlo does it better at cheaper prices.

Rugby is better quality without question.

another company that makes decent shirting and basics options with no xs...sigh.

their polos are available in xs, and are the best damn polos i've ever had. thick sturdy collars, longer tail in the back, nice slim cut. they go on sale every year, and if you can get past the douchey skull/crossbones logo they're a great buy.

i'm 5'7, 130 lbs and xs fits me spot on.

The smaller skulls are not douchy, especially when it's subtle. The striping on the edge of collars / shirts is a nice touch.

Can anyone comment on the sleeve length of their button up shirts?

I'm looking to go as small as possible, but I need the sleeves to be at least 26" long. Judging by the size chart, that would put me in the XL range. The problem is, I have a 40" chest with a 32" waist. Even if I get a shirt tailored, it would probably look odd and the shoulders would probably be way too wide.

I used to get large, now I get medium, sleeves are around 35 by dress shirt measurements, slightly longer than normal. The cut of the shirts were a slightly slimmer custom fit before, now it's something different a bit wider cut.

Last edited:

Amelorn

Reaction score
I orderer a button-down from the recent Rue La La flash sale for $50. I'll report back. The website is worth a laugh occasionally, as the models are at times an overblown caricature of the preppy look.

preposterous

Reaction score
I recently discovered rugby online. In Australia we don't get rugby or rrl.
So much cheaper than buying in aus.

Were you able to get them to ship to Aus? I'm in NZ and didn't think that the rugby.com site shipped outside the US...

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I orderer a button-down from the recent Rue La La flash sale for $50. I'll report back. The website is worth a laugh occasionally, as the models are at times an overblown caricature of the preppy look.

Why would you pay $50 plus shipping from Rue La La when the item is cheaper directly from Rugby?

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll give them a try. What size should I order-- Small in JCrew/LEC, medium uniqlo

jt2gt

Reaction score
Anyone know how the belts run size wise. They are sized -- Small, medium and large, but can't pull up what those sizes translate too. Thanks...JT

osadolor619

Reaction score
NAMIZZLE, I looked at the striped jeans on the website and they look fuckin sick, they don't have my size though and neither does San Francisco. Gonna call east coast mañana.

WFU_guy

Reaction score

I'll give them a try. What size should I order-- Small in JCrew/LEC, medium uniqlo

When I was a small in J. Crew, Rugby small fitted pretty well. The stuff I got are a bit slimmer than J. Crew from my experience.

But ditto to it being a good value...I scored a wool pea coat for $40.00 at the outlet this past winter, and flannels for $8.00. If you live by an a Polo outlet, I would check there first, they usually have a decent supply of rugby clothing along with any discounted mainline retail stuff.

Amelorn

Reaction score

Why would you pay $50 plus shipping from Rue La La when the item is cheaper directly from Rugby?

Rugby.com didn't stock the shirt I ordered at the time. (sun washed oxford, pink with subtle yellow stripes) The shirt came and I am very pleased with the ft and quality. I ordered a medium (normally what I wear). The fabric is great. It's thick, yet is soft and breathes. The fit is quite tailored, but not excessively so. I also received a 20% coupon.

malcolm4819

Reaction score

I've been looking for button down shirts... what do you guys think of http://www.rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?pid=11535747&catid=3138868.3372180&tempid=rugbyColor?

Should small fit a guy around 5 11, 135lbs?
Yes I wear a small, I'm 5 10 145lbs broad shoulders and they fit me perfect. You should be fine. Unrelated note, I own a couple of buttonups and sweaters from them I think they are good for the price. Especially after the student discount. I consider them on the same par as JCrew, BBros and etc...just another place you can get your basics for cheap and better quality then most (or other) mall brands (around the same price).

Last edited:

WFU_guy

Reaction score
Personally, I find certain items from Rugby better than J. Crew (and this is coming from a former J. Crew employee). For example, the Rugby flannels are thicker, made with better buttons, and usually priced equally or cheaper than J. Crew. I also prefer the fit of the Rugby's, but that's subjective. I got a pea coat from the Polo outlet for $50.00 and I will say that it was made with heavier and higher quality wool than J. Crew's pea coats. I also notice Rugby's outerwear went on a deeper discount than J. Crew last year.

I like J. Crew's secret wash shirt though and broken-in shorts though. I buy their shorts whenever I find them on some discount.

My biggest gripe about J. Crew is their horrible return policy on sale items. They final sale the heck out of anything on discount.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So they fit slimmer than say Polo Custom Fit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads