• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Rugby Thread

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any thoughts on the Rugby duffle coat offerings?
http://www.rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?productId=11807466&categoryId=3138718&cp=3138868
They have a gray one too but it looks shorter. I'm torn between this vs. hunting eBay for a Gloverall. Unfortunately no Rugby stores near me so fit is another concern. I have a couple of their shetlands and oxford shirts and M seems to work pretty well. I'm curious if the duffle "M" is sized up though to allow for a sweater or a blazer underneath.

I would say they run just a tincy bit bigger for sweater/jackets to be worn underneath. I say go for the grey one - looks nicer than the camel one.

Finally got my order. It arrived at my home in NY, and I then waited for my father to forward it to me at my UK address. The sweater is nice and surprisingly warm for its weight. The slim miner jeans are the godsend I've been waiting for. All in all, I'm very happy.

You do know there is a UK Store.. but i'm not sure if the prices are the same - but you should check it out, I hear good things.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on Rugby's peacoat fit? It looks as if the body length is shorter than the sleeve length on the model. Is this the case in real life? Furthermore, how does the 100% wool compare to RRL's peacoat? I really do hope its just as dense and wind repellent.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone comment on Rugby's peacoat fit? It looks as if the body length is shorter than the sleeve length on the model. Is this the case in real life? Furthermore, how does the 100% wool compare to RRL's peacoat? I really do hope its just as dense and wind repellent.

The RRL is kersey wool, no way the Rugby one is

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The RRL is kersey wool, no way the Rugby one is

Yeah RRL Quality > Rugby Quality - all day, every day. Is the price justified between the two.. well if you spend $350 at Rugby you are getting ripped. But if you spend $690 on RRLs - well then the increase in price is exponential to quality - as opposed to being linear. You are not getting the most bang for your buck.

Personally I think the RRL Melton PeaCoat is much better styled and non-objectively the wool is much higher quality - than that of the University PeaCoat that Rugby sells - and frankly Ralph Lauren intends it to be that way.

Go for the RRL.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if u get those dope, drop on those rrl peacoat, they r amazing in anyway compare to rugby peacoat.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight.

I would love to get the RRL peacoat but its kinda cost prohibitive for me. Which kinda goes to Saturday's point, whether the RRL's peacoat is twice as good as the Rugby that it justifies twice the cost.

I just wish the Rugby Peacoat is cheaper still to reflect the lower level of quality. Perhaps with the student discount it ain't so bad.

Either way, I would like to think that the Rugby peacoat is still better than the Polo RL one in terms of fit a quality

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the insight.
I would love to get the RRL peacoat but its kinda cost prohibitive for me. Which kinda goes to Saturday's point, whether the RRL's peacoat is twice as good as the Rugby that it justifies twice the cost.
I just wish the Rugby Peacoat is cheaper still to reflect the lower level of quality. Perhaps with the student discount it ain't so bad.
Either way, I would like to think that the Rugby peacoat is still better than the Polo RL one in terms of fit a quality

Do you need the coat now? They may go on sale in a month and a half...

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would like to think that the Rugby peacoat is still better than the Polo RL one in terms of fit a quality

More than likely they are the same quality.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are heavy but not super heavy, if you compare to the RRL peacoat, but again they are in a different ball park to start with.

It is slim fitted. I think the sleeve isn't all that short and its just about right I guess, I am usually 15.5/32 or 33 in polo dress shirts.

This is size S and i tried hard to get them buttoned all the way up, so the arms, chest, shoulders are real tight. I was wearing this with only one polo shirt.

for reference, I usually take M in all Rugby stuff.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interesting that you had to size down for the peacoat. i typically take everythign in the same size from rugby but havent handled that peacoat in particular

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

interesting that you had to size down for the peacoat. i typically take everythign in the same size from rugby but havent handled that peacoat in particular

na, i was looking for a M but they sold out in the store i went to so I thot I tried on a S that they had. that's why i mentioned it's tight all around. if this goes on sale and got my size it's a must kop for me. But RKD, seriously, your RRL peacoat rocks!!!!!:slayer:

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh ok that makes more sense. thanks bro

when it goes on sale eventually, they should be able to find you one either online or at another store and ship it to you ... unless everyone whos a M buys it in the meanwhile haha

Amelorn

Reaction score
Any thoughts on the Rugby duffle coat offerings?
http://www.rugby.com/shop/item.aspx?productId=11807466&categoryId=3138718&cp=3138868
They have a gray one too but it looks shorter. I'm torn between this vs. hunting eBay for a Gloverall. Unfortunately no Rugby stores near me so fit is another concern. I have a couple of their shetlands and oxford shirts and M seems to work pretty well. I'm curious if the duffle "M" is sized up though to allow for a sweater or a blazer underneath.

I would say they run just a tincy bit bigger for sweater/jackets to be worn underneath. I say go for the grey one - looks nicer than the camel one.

Finally got my order. It arrived at my home in NY, and I then waited for my father to forward it to me at my UK address. The sweater is nice and surprisingly warm for its weight. The slim miner jeans are the godsend I've been waiting for. All in all, I'm very happy.

You do know there is a UK Store.. but i'm not sure if the prices are the same - but you should check it out, I hear good things.

Problem the 1st: I am in St Andrews, Scotland. The rugby store is in Covent Garden, London.
Problem the 2nd: No online shopping for the uk.
Problem the 3rd: Ralph Lauren's pricing structure in the UK is different than in the US. In the US, it's basically affordable. In the UK, it's a luxury brand. For example, a flannel sport shirt that I could get in Lord and Taylor for $75-100 cost my friend £140, or $215. I <3 RL stuff, but not at that mark-up.

That said, if I'm in London for another reason, I'll swing by and see.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads