1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ralph Lauren Purple Label cashmere jacket - FAKE?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Torch, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Torch

Torch Member

Today, I received my latest ebay.com purchase. A Ralph Lauren Purple Label houndstooth cashmere sports jacket. However, I am not sure it's whether its fake or real. The overall quality of the fabric and the finishing seems decent, but I don't have other RL Purple Label to compare with. I seem to remember that RL Purple Label is Made in Italy (Corneliani?), but the label clearly states "Made in England".

Could you gentlemen shed some sartorial light on this? BTW: Seller did have OK feedback, but was not selling much menswear.

Link

Thank you.

2. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

Older RLPL made by Chester Barrie

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

+1. When RL first started the Purple Label line, it was made in the UK by Chester Barrie, but it then switched to Italy - primarily St Andrews/SantAndrea - some years back.

The two cuts are a bit different - in my experience, the Chester Barrie-made RLPL jackets have wider shoulders with more padding and a more generous chest, although the waists are fairly slim. The made-in-Italy RLPL has a slimmer cut, with narrower shoulders and chest.

The Chester Barrie-made clothing is very well-made. I've got a couple of suits and jackets and they are very nice.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  4. Torch

Torch Member

Thank you very much. I understand that Chester Barrie stopped making suits etc. for RL in 2008. It shows no signs of wear and it's (almost) a perfect fit, so I am quite happy with my purchase.