1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ralph Lauren Private Sale

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, May 16, 2006.

1. thinman

thinman Senior member

lawyerdad, when I was in the Beverly Hills RL store several weeks ago, I saw Mackays in dark oak and what the salesman told me was Edwardian antique.

2. tbabes

tbabes Senior member

they are true D fitting.

So these EG purple label shoes on polo.com would have 10.5 / 11 D written on the inside?

3. Morris

Morris Senior member

they are true D fitting.

I think that is correct. I historically have worn a 12D in American made shoes. With the Mackays I went down .5 to account for the last.

4. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

So these EG purple label shoes on polo.com would have 10.5 / 11 D written on the inside?

Yup.

5. fassbinder

fassbinder Senior member

You are freakin' kidding me. I called there repeatedly yesterday, and had two different people swear to me there were no Mackays in anything but black. Did you have them on hold or something?

Sorry doc, not kidding. I didn't have them on hold either, just a walked in. Maybe someone returned them, but I doubt it. The sales girl did mention to me that people had been calling up for shoes, maybe they weren't looking.

6. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Takes a bit of wear to break in, but it's a great shoe. Worth the sale price and more.

There are some comments elsewhere on this thread about the Darltons - I think we were talking about the wingtips, but these have the same double soles. They have significant weight.

They are indeed heavy shoes.

7. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

Are the Darlton Penny Loafers in Dark Brown...Cordovan color or made from the behind of a horse??

The description says calfskin. And forget the sale but over $300 for calfskin is crazy. Not for Cordo however IMHO.

The 1-888 number help person says she has no info that is not on the website so expects they are calfskin but she readily admits she didn't know that shoes were ever made from horse parts.

Perry

8. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Horse's rear (not you, the shoes).

9. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

Horse's rear (not you, the shoes).

Thank you, sir! And I just bought a pair.

Perry

10. moon unit

moon unit Member

Is the Darlton blutcher formal enough in appearance to be worn with a sport coat/suit or is it better suited to informal wear?

11. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

so, i think i'm going to pass on the polo sale. the only thing i wanted was the brown mackay, and they're out. i've already got my brown cordo wingtip - and don't really need the plaintoe brown cordo.

the black mackay kind of bores me. and it isn't 50% off, more like 40% (greedy, yes, but whatever)...

as for the edwardian monkstrap with the weird buckle, i've already got the double buckle captoe polo monkstrap (C&J made?, bought from GVH). it occupies the same conceptual "shoe" space, if you will. seems kind of pointless to double up with two tan monkstraps...

and i paid for the weymouths last night, so that'll be my fix for the summer.

so i guess i'm passing on the sale. kind of a bummer. i really wanted that brown mackay (especially since i've been beating the hell out of my brown wingtips, and if i got the mackay, it would be the replacement).

12. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Is the Darlton blutcher formal enough in appearance to be worn with a sport coat/suit or is it better suited to informal wear?

you could definitely wear it with a sport coat. i think you could wear it with a heavyweight suit (flannel, tweed, something substantial in weight, etc). i wouldn't wear it with a lightweight 150's in light grey, though....

13. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

NoVaguy, did you think of exchanging a black pair for brown in a store?

Out of curiosity, how many guys passed on Camden monks?

14. thinman

thinman Senior member

you could definitely wear it with a sport coat. i think you could wear it with a heavyweight suit (flannel, tweed, something substantial in weight, etc). i wouldn't wear it with a lightweight 150's in light grey, though....

I own the corresponding wingtip and if the blucher is identical, except without the broguing, I disagree. I think the shape plus the storm welt disqualify the blucher from wear with suits and all but very informal sports coats such as tweeds. Even then, I probably wouldn't do it.

BTW, I'm also sitting out the Polo sale for similar reasons as you, NoVaguy. The Mackay is not a good fit for me, I already own the Polo shell cordovan wingtips so I don't need the plain blucher, and I have a Ferragamo Tramezza monkstrap. I also just special-ordered a pair of the RL equivalent to the Dover, so my credit card is tapped out.

15. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

What's the return policy for the website? I didn't have time to run to BH and get sized, so I can only guess what my size is. If I order a black Mackay from polo.com and they don't fit can I exchange them at the BH store? If not can I exchange them with the website's warehouse? Thanks, HS.

16. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

too much of a hassle. the D.C. polo store doesn't carry the EG's, and I don't want to make too much of a production about it.

17. thinman

thinman Senior member

too much of a hassle. the D.C. polo store doesn't carry the EG's, and I don't want to make too much of a production about it.

Have you checked the newer RL store near the Mazza Gallerie? IIRC, they had some RLPL shoes last time I visited, last August.

18. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

What's the return policy for the website? I didn't have time to run to BH and get sized, so I can only guess what my size is. If I order a black Mackay from polo.com and they don't fit can I exchange them at the BH store? If not can I exchange them with the website's warehouse? Thanks, HS.

You can exchange at the store, or exchange by mail. I bought Mackays during the last outbreak of Mackay Fever and had to go up a half size, which I did by mail exchange. I find the 888 last to be a bit narrower than the 89. 10.5 US in the 89 last is a bit too big for me, but in the 888 last it fits just right.

19. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Have you checked the newer RL store near the Mazza Gallerie? IIRC, they had some RLPL shoes last time I visited, last August.

not yet. it's on my to do list, especially when i finally break down next month and get a car....

20. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

I passed and bought Cordovan Penny loafers instead.

Perry