Ralph Lauren Polo, Authentic or Fake?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sesner, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Sesner

Sesner Member

Hello all, I usually buy my RL polos at the official stores but at times I also like visiting the consignment stores in San Francisco. I recently bought a green polo at one of these stores and now I am doubting its authenticity... The tags on this one are different than on my authentic polos and I was wondering if these tags are an older version or variant...thanks

2. pdial

pdial Senior member

I think the tags vary slightly depending on which country they are made in.

3. Reapthenightmare

Reapthenightmare Member

Looks ligit to me i have one like that.

4. Sesner

Sesner Member

thanks for the quick replies guys, i feel a bit more comfortable not having to return it now ha, any other opinions?

5. Material Boy

Material Boy Senior member

How much did you get this polo shirt for?

The best place for you to purchase RL polo shirts is SF Union Square Macys! On July 10 & 11, Macys will have a "one" day sale, some of these Polo might go down to $19.99. If I have to guess, you paid more for your polo shirt.

6. Sesner

Sesner Member

I bought it at a consignment store for 20 bucks thats why its kinda sketch :/, the "custom fit" tag is defintely different but the quality of the shirt is on point.

7. Material Boy

Material Boy Senior member

Stick with Macys, then you won't have to wonder whether the shirt is authentic or fake. Go to Macys on Friday and you should like what you see in terms of price.

I have my doubts on the "CUSTOM FIT" label, but then again, that can be attributed to the way the picture was taken.

8. Sesner

Sesner Member

well this is what my authentic looks like link: http://tinypic.com/r/xasxgj/5 notice the horizontal S as opposed to the vertical and the custom fit tag, hopefully somebody can give me confirmation that its either an authentic variant or a fake lol

9. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

eh whats the big deal you paid $20 for a polo shirt who cares if its real or fake

10. ZON_JR

ZON_JR Senior member

I guess the OP does. He might not enjoy wearing a fake regardless of how cheap it was.

11. TomW

TomW Senior member

it's an early custom fit... and before that they were called slim fit with the same 'locker loop' label. I have a half dozen or so, sourced from Polo, Bloomingdale's and Macy's

12. Taken Aback

Taken Aback Senior member

I looked for a thread about RL fakes, and so here we go...

I got this in a thrift shop bag sale once. It doesn't have a blue label, but the smaller tag has a RN number (RN 22776):

[​IMG][​IMG]

I wondered if the blue label were removed (not impossible when looking at this particular design), and/or if the smaller label is easily identifiable as fake.

13. Taken Aback

Taken Aback Senior member

14. GiltEdge

GiltEdge Senior member

I looked for a thread about RL fakes, and so here we go...

I got this in a thrift shop bag sale once. It doesn't have a blue label, but the smaller tag has a RN number (RN 22776):

[​IMG][​IMG]

I wondered if the blue label were removed (not impossible when looking at this particular design), and/or if the smaller label is easily identifiable as fake.

How do you know it was even a RL once?