• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Peacoat w/ Red Stripe Across Bottom?

poodlerock

Reaction score
I was just grabbing dinner and ran into a guy wearing a fantastic peacoat. It was navy wool with an eight-inch (or so) red stripe near the bottom of the coat. He told me he bought it at "Ralph Lauren's New York store" (the encounter occurred in Minneapolis). Has anyone ever seen this coat in person? I ran some web searches, but came up empty. The store is closed for the night. I'm suddenly obsessed with this coat! I'd greatly appreciate any leads. Thanks.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was part of there winter collection which is probably long gone by now, they've already had a number of large sales on this seasons merch. BTW that coat was hideous so there is actually a pretty good chance that its available somewhere? Call around to the flagship stores and ask, I'm sure the sales people can't miss it if they stock it.

poodlerock

Reaction score
Jumping balls -- it WAS the women's coat. Yikes. That explains my inability to locate it. Thanks all.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was an RL men's jacket.

It was inspired by the older stripped blanket coats (Hudson Bay blanket coats being the most famous).

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
It was an RL men's jacket.

It was inspired by the older stripped blanket coats (Hudson Bay blanket coats being the most famous).

Not a fan!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw the coat at RL. It didn't look too bad IRL compared to the pic.

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
There is a very slight chance that a few are still scattered at random Marshalls, forgot the price but less than RL.com. Yeah, surprised me too. Only saw one, can't be more specific. Evidently a very late Fall/justbeforeChristmas shipment.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
call the online customer service and give them the item number, they can track it down for you... definitely cheaper in store if one is still around

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin

Bought one at Marshalls in late January. The PRL price tag was $795 and the original Marshalls price was $249 before end of season markdown. Although it's constructed as a coat (most seams are top-sewn 'lap' seams) the fabric is actually tightly knitted rather than woven - two way stretch. It's 100% Merino wool made in China of Italian yarn - softer than traditional pea coat woven Melton cloth. Runs small and it's unlined. The cuff strap adjustments button toward the inside of the sleeves rather than as pictured. That may be the reason they were at Marshalls.

As stated by Mr. Robin, the fabric was inspired by 18th? century Hudson's Bay Company trader blankets. The blankets were traded to Indigenous Americans and trappers for pelts. The blankets had marks to indicate their size and trade value. Adjacent to this coat's right rear seam are relatively small marks in red to indicate the trade value of the original blankets from which Mackinaw coats, or anything else, were home-made:
_

__

___

____ (thus a 4 point designation)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads