• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Made to Measure

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh so it’s the old RLBL tier I assume (I thought they have another pricier tier). If you like it why not, personally would stick to RTW on discount... or pay up for bespoke (but then the like of Cifonelli is like 5 to 6k euro?)

You're probably right.

Looking at their Italian site, prices start at 4500 euros for the cheapest 'handmade' suit.

Assuming MTM is 10% more, you're looking at 5,000 euros.

That said, they do have discounts for special events.

So $5000 - 10% MTM discount - VAT = just under 4k.

And you get to fly to Italy as part of the experience.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or you can skip the middle man and go directly to St. Andrews in Milan. They offer MTM in their showroom:

The decor is less Ralph Lauren mansion, and more some guy's condo.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The purple label line gobbled up the old Black Label line so the price points reflect that. The same holds true for their made to measure program.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The purple label line gobbled up the old Black Label line so the price points reflect that. The same holds true for their made to measure program.

Right. So now there's hand tailored purple label, and hand made purple label.

The hand tailored line is essentially old black label.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right. So now there's hand tailored purple label, and hand made purple label.

The hand tailored line is essentially old black label.

I haven’t a clue as to what they are calling each vis a vie their tailored and made to measure line.

to confuse things even further, some of the sportier and technical garments under the old RLX line are now rolled into purple label, though those are better identified.

For tailored, I just look at the price point. Around $2k for a suit, probably commensurate with the old black label. Around $5k, purple label.

fwedo

Reaction score
I haven’t a clue as to what they are calling each vis a vie their tailored and made to measure line.

I think it works the same for their MTM program :

- you can choose from "classic MTM : machine made" and it's probably near BL old schema in terms of quality and price (but with nicer PL fabrics and some improvements on suits and jackets : few handmade parts)

- or you can choose the full handmade MTM and prices are far higher, like good old PL. I don't know about the process of this last category. but i am not sure it's very different from the classic MTM : a choice of house cut, made to measure for you where you can choose fabric and few details. So, it's just an assumption, but not sure it's real bespoke process. I have no info on this last process for suits and jackets and it's maybe different when in Milan and when in store.

I have an experience with MTM handmade trousers and MTM trousers, and the process is exactly the same. No need to go to Milan....(the same for shirts)

This is probably a very different thing at Cifonelli where it's real bespoke. Ralph knows it...

Huntsman and Cifo have also a MTM process same as RL since last year (Italian made, choice of fabric and details).

Price tag aside, it's not the same approach than full bespoke. To me, MTM is easier for the buyer

if there is too much mistakes in this post, I'll edit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads