• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren lines, and 'who makes what' - a definitive guide

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sasseti makes the low and high end models. Price difference a result of different specs (better leather, closed channel sole, etc...).

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sasetti can make lower and higher grade just saying I think Sasetti only make the RLPL stuff for RL not the lower tier

NoNameNecessary

Reaction score
Anyone know what size is size 8? I found a purple label blazer on eBay with size tag on the neck states 8, 70% wool, 30% cashmere

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, is the low-end Purple Label tailoring now half canvassed?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You mean the old RLBL, don’t think so if it’s proper tailoring. if it’s more “theme piece” then RLPL always had some completely unconstructed jacket anyway (so canvass isn’t even a thing)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like all the Anthony/Gregory/Nigel (i.e. old RLBL) were still fully canvassed the last time I checked it (last year?)

The RLPL proper, like Drakes/Saville Row/Douglas (new ish?) are also full canvassed

Though there’re are bunch other not as often seen model that i’m not sure (Wesley/Kent?, though some of those might be fully unconstructed)

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right.

If you go here, there's a description of some of the purple label models:

https://www.ralphlauren.com/brands-purple-label-men-suiting-blp-feat

I tried on a Hadley, and it was half canvassed. The jacket only had partial lining, so I could see canvassing at the top, and fusing on the bottom half.

I also checked out a Douglas suit, and it again felt like a half canvass. I think the purple label suits at the very low end in terms of pricing are now half canvassed.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
douglas is not low end though?, the douglas I tried was definitely full canvassed

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
douglas is not low end though?, the douglas I tried was definitely full canvassed

I think (and I'm not positive), that maybe RL suits at the $2k range (i.e. entry level) are half. On the RL website, they specify for some of the suits that they have a full canvass. For the cheaper ones, they don't include that information.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads