• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren lines, and 'who makes what' - a definitive guide

TheodoreJulians

Reaction score
Oh noes! I have 2 LRL sportcoats and I thought I was AWESOME SAUCE! I've been duped! I'm glad I read this. I'll not be taken advantage of again!

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by awxg
I think I've read somewhere in SF that Altea makes RLPL ties. Is this correct?

I think so. Are they worth $50 (sale)?

heavyd

Reaction score
so what is the story on the PRL suits made for US vs EU with the pleats vs slim fit (those on YOOX.com).

Same Cornelliani make? Just different markets/cuts?

Why is the quality on these suits so much lesser than the other makers specifically?

Taken Aback

Reaction score
Call it enlightenment, or just a review, but I just noticed an interesting aspect of the American Living (PRL for JCP) vs actual PRL line similarities... Yesterday, I was in a JCP and noticed that they had American Living shoes. Now, I generally don't buy PRL shoes, but I have looked at their styles. One AL style called "Callum" looked very familiar to me, but I couldn't say it was a PRL copy or not. Still, I tried them on, and they were pretty comfortable, and for less than $30, I thought "what the hell", and bought them. When I came home I tried to see if the insole was removable, and although I can tell it wasn't meant to be (some glue, but very little) I was able to pull it out, and saw this: I immediately thought "Counterfeits at JCP???", but then why even have PRL insoles on AL styles in the first place if they're glued in? I guessed the insoles could be PRL seconds they use for AL, but I still wonder where that "e" went.
confused.gif
I then looked at RL.com shoes, and saw the Keswick: It's the same sole, and even the upper is similar. It seems Callum is a Keswick variant made by the same manufacturer, not just designed by RL's design team. I haven't yet looked at a pair of Keswicks in-store (assuming they're available in stores), but I want to see that insole.
smile.gif
All in all, my respect for AL just went up a bit.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea who in Italy is making the Bridle Hide accessories?

fusQer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl
Where does Polo University Club fit in?

I just came across a Polo University Club navy blazer at a thrift store and bought it. It is made in the USA (has the union made label inside the pocket), feels like it has alot of "heavy" good quality inner material in it. It is a narrow fitting pattern I believe. Inside it has a label from Marshall Fields New Traditions.

negusnegas

Reaction score
Does anyone know who makes the Purple Lable leather goods. I.e. bags, wallets, etc.

S. Able

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian
Does anyone know if the Caruso for Purple Label stuff (I recently bought two jackets) is made to a higher or equal standard compared to the Black label stuff. Also how does the quality compare to the Saints Andrews for RLPL line?

Caruso has about 18 workers who make all of the PL suits and jackets. These workers also do some hand work for the Caruso label garments (and thus presumably BL). I was told last week by folks at Caruso that they have doubled their production for RL over the last year. This 18 person "handmade" (for lack of a better word) department/facotry is a function of its increased PL contract with RL.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by S. Able
Caruso has about 18 workers who make all of the PL suits and jackets. These workers also do some hand work for the Caruso label garments (and thus presumably BL). I was told last week by folks at Caruso that they have doubled their production for RL over the last year. This 18 person "handmade" (for lack of a better word) department/facotry is a function of its increased PL contract with RL.

Thanks for this info, as I just purchased a BL suit. Love it by the way.

EZ

why18

Reaction score
I would really appreciate some help to identify the maker for these 2 PRL suits I just acquired today. Some help in teaching how to read the label will be greatly appreciated too!! Thanks in advance.

(1)

(2)

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why18
I would really appreciate some help to identify the maker for these 2 PRL suits I just acquired today. Some help in teaching how to read the label will be greatly appreciated too!! Thanks in advance.

Here's what you need to read; however, those are made by Corneliani.

why18

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply and the link. Really appreciate that.
smile.gif

mrchapel

Reaction score
Isn't American Living as sold in JCPenney a RL product?

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Seems like you guys know quite well who makes suits and shoes for Ralph Lauren, but what about sweaters and polos? Specifically I'm curious who in Italy made my RLPL polos (two similar short sleeved polos as well as one long sleeve polo) and 1 ply cashmere cardigan.

freeride1

Reaction score
The Purple label made in Italy shoes are produced in a factory that Ralph bought in Italy. This was done apparently because his contract with EG was ending and was not to be renewed due to EG's insistence that shoes be produced only from existing lasts. I do not recall the name or location of this factory. This comes from talking to several sales associates at Polo locations around Washington DC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads