1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ralph Lauren lines, and 'who makes what' - a definitive guide

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by apropos, Dec 27, 2008.

1. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

2. Cid

Cid Senior member

I just got an RRL sportcoat and am wondering who the maker is. None of the funky western styling details that another member posted. 3 roll 2, surgeon's cuffs... single rear vent. From the Fall 2006 Bowery Collection. Photos below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thoughts?

3. polar-lemon

polar-lemon Senior member

I just got an RRL sportcoat and am wondering who the maker is. None of the funky western styling details that another member posted. 3 roll 2, surgeon's cuffs... single rear vent. From the Fall 2006 Bowery Collection. Photos below.

Thoughts?

Caruso.

4. Cid

Cid Senior member

Thanks for the confirmation.

5. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

So Caruso for RR would be (generally) of lower quality than Corneliani for Polo, correct?

6. forex

forex Senior member

The model name is written on the inside chest pocket tag, in the form of coat/pants

<MODEL NAME> <EXTRA DESCRIPTION> <# OF BUTTONS> <STYLE> / <EXTRA DES> <MODEL NAME> <???>

So far I have seen
    SAVLR, MADISIN, DRAKE, JONATHAN for model name,
    2BT, 3BT, 4BT for number of buttons
    SB, DB, HK (hacking), PK (peak lapel) for style

For the extra descriptions, I've seen TUX and FRML

for pants models, I have seen MDN, JRD

Great,thanks.So I have SAVLR and DRAKE.MADISIN probably has a fuller cut and drake is probably the slimmest cut.
    I tried couple of PL suits the other day at RL store and they didn't have any inside tags although SAs claimed that they were St. Andrews made so go figure.

7. drducky

drducky Senior member

So Caruso for RR would be (generally) of lower quality than Corneliani for Polo, correct?

probably not
    while both Caruso and corneliani have various lines and will make to spec for RL, most of the caruso made jackets/suits I've seen (under multiple labels) are superior to Corneliani, but it's a matter of what fits you better IMO

8. apropos

apropos Senior member

probably not while both Caruso and corneliani have various lines and will make to spec for RL, most of the caruso made jackets/suits I've seen (under multiple labels) are superior to Corneliani, but it's a matter of what fits you better IMO
    I'll go out on a limb here and say that Caruso coats (both those made for the Caruso label and those OEM'ed for other labels) are in general, of slightly better construction than Corneliani coats (both those made for the higher end Corneliani label and those OEM'ed for other labels) as determined by the fineness and subtleness of the handwork on the lapels and around pockets, pattern matching, and variation between jackets of the same model/size. I know Corneliani makes some fused coats, but am not sure about Caruso. Both house cuts are also definitely quite a bit different - I've found Caruso to be cut slimmer in general than Corneliani. Caruso does however, at times, use odd fabric of questionable quality - there are a few suits/coats out there with wool/synthetic blends that have an odd feel (to me). That said, IMO both labels are definitely in the 'higher tiers' of Italian sartoria.

9. manouche

manouche Senior member

I bought from RL :

1) a cashmere cords VERY thick jumper, purple label for 99,99 euros
    2) a cashmere thin jumper, purple label for 59,99 euros
    3) 3 pairs or corduroy pants in olive, purple label for 39,00 each

Are these good prices or I have been scamed by RL ?

10. hitokiri8

hitokiri8 Senior member

This is a fantastic post! I was wondering, (and I haven't seen it anywhere) if anyone has information on the origins of RLBL and RLPL shirts and whether or not there is a fit guide for the different cuts on RLPL shirts. I've noticed that some are slimmer and some are fuller cut and it would be helpful to identify (maybe via the cut number on the tag?) which ones are which.

11. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior member

Does anyone know if the Caruso for Purple Label stuff (I recently bought two jackets) is made to a higher or equal standard compared to the Black label stuff. Also how does the quality compare to the Saints Andrews for RLPL line?

12. apropos

apropos Senior member

I have added the following details to my original post after a thorough examination of my RLBL suit. RLBL 'Anthony' model: - Hand-ticked lapels & pockets - Hand-padded collars - Machine-made buttonholes - Full canvas construction - Moderate-strong shoulder padding - Slight-moderate rope - Strongly tapered fit (drop 7) - No faux buttonhole stitching on cuffs, no surgeon's cuff - Dyed horn buttons It would be fantastic if someone else could examine their RLPL, PRL, etc suits so that we can come up with a baseline for comparison. Instructions on how to do so can be found on member jeffereyd's blog.

13. yerrow

yerrow Well-Known Member

may as well take of the lauren and chaps info, because they really aren't considered real RL product. its not sold in the retail stores and barely registers a blip on the internal corporate level

14. zenga

zenga Well-Known Member

Please also include information on who makes the shirts. As far as I am aware RLPL is made by Lorenzini. Who makes the RLBL shirts?

15. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

Instructions on how to do so can be found on member jeffereyd's blog.

The link doesnt work.

16. apropos

apropos Senior member

The link doesnt work.
    Fixed it, try again.

17. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

The cashmere blend Green Label suits on STP are a great value.

18. hitokiri8

hitokiri8 Senior member

Please also include information on who makes the shirts. As far as I am aware RLPL is made by Lorenzini. Who makes the RLBL shirts?

I've been looking for this info as well if anyone has it...I can provide tag pictures if that would help anyone identify the maker

19. apropos

apropos Senior member

For completion's sake and in response to numerous PMs (and since I cannot edit the OP), the (now discontinued) Ralph Lauren Signature Line (made by Corneliani) had blue labels with 'RALPH LAUREN' (all capital letters). No sign of the word 'Polo' on it.

That's how you differentiate it from PRL, as both have blue labels.

20. apropos

apropos Senior member

Does anyone know if the Caruso for Purple Label stuff (I recently bought two jackets) is made to a higher or equal standard compared to the Black label stuff. Also how does the quality compare to the Saints Andrews for RLPL line?
    Bit late, but: 1. I cannot distinguish any difference from RLBL, but the pieces I've seen/compared are quite dissimilar (RLPL cashmere odd jackets + DBs vs RLBL SB jackets/suits) 2. I'd venture a tad lower than St. Andrews for RLPL. Handwork on SA made RLPL is finer, and a little better done IMO.