Ralph Lauren lines, and 'who makes what' - a definitive guide

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by apropos, Dec 27, 2008.

1. clemente21

clemente21 Senior member

2. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Corneliani and half canvassed. This applies to all blue label suits.

3. clemente21

clemente21 Senior member

$1.5K for half-canvassed? Yikes

4. PiCcolocV

PiCcolocV Senior member

How long ago did they switch to blue label being half-canvas - thought it was full as of a few years ago?

5. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

more than I could remember, at least 6+, IE since I start buying Polo Ralph Lauren suit, the more than 20 years ago made in USA stuff was fully canvassed so was signature label 10? years ago

6. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Most stuff at retail is overpriced. That's why there's SF and ebay!

7. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

or just wait until their own sale, RL's sale is decent, especially for PRL, unless you're hard to find size like myself (36...)

8. clemente21

clemente21 Senior member

Yeah but even at 50% off that's a lot to pay for half-canvas

9. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

I personally care more about the fit, and I know which PRL works well for me, I usually try to buy it when they're sub 450

10. clemente21

clemente21 Senior member

Ah - didn't realize they got that low - that's a different story.

11. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

rarely, but it does happen

12. billbro

billbro Active Member

I've gone through the thread and Google and couldn't quite find the answer.

I was wondering whether Black Label Denim is manufactured in Italy or China? According to the label it is the latter.

I actually went from 0 cashmere sweaters to 4 today (2 PRL, 1 RLBLD, 1 RLBL). I am slightly disappointed, as I didn't realise one of the Black Label sweaters was from the denim line. As far as look and feel are concerned they both seem the same, the pricing was also identical - however, how does the BLD line fare in general? Looking at the Ralph Lauren site it looks like BLD is a slightly cheaper/lower end version of the standard Black Label.

13. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Who cares? If you like it and you think you paid a fair price for it what does it matter if there is a higher line out there? As for your first question you already stated that the label says "made in china" what would make you ask that question? You think they made the item in italy then decided to put "made in china" for shits and giggles? I have a few polos from RLBL and they are made in china as well so its not exclusive to the denim line either.

14. billbro

billbro Active Member

Agreed, if I like it then it doesn't really matter if there is a better line.

However, to establish whether it is a fair price understanding the pecking order does help - given I paid the same price for both though the manufacturing for one is in a country with arguably lower quality and cost.

The first question is a bit silly, but I had read a couple of times that RLBL was only made in Italy. I also asked the the sales person whether the premium for the black label was worth it seeing as I already picked up some PRL earlier in the day and one of the things she mentioned was that RLBL was made in Italy.

Basically, was just curious to understand what I was buying and ultimately figuring out whether it was worth the purchase. You might ask whether that matters since I've already committed to the purchase, but the answer to that would be "yes". I'm considering whether I should return one of the sweaters, since I had originally intended to purchase one or two. I would have just returned one of the PRL (black), but was considering returning the RLBL Denim after noticing it wasn't the standard RLBL.

Long ramble short, thanks for the response - just wanted to clarify my understanding of the labeling since I couldn't find it for RLBLD on-line presumably as it is a new line.

15. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

some black label is made in china while some black label is made in Italy, it is what the label says.

some of the best cashmere is from inner Mongolia which is china. A lot made in Italy (except maybe the absolute high end) means Chinese (first generation immigrants) made them in Italy. Stuff came out from China can have any quality the customer wants, it's what Ralph Lauren ask them to do (and RL pays it, Jcrew made in china is a lot worse than RLBL made in China) and to the extent they can be consistent.