Ralph Lauren lines, and 'who makes what' - a definitive guide

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by apropos, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

Also the Polo IV, which has a ticket pocket. The "Hacking" has the same button stance, and I think there's a similar peak lapel model.

2. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Thanks for the help guys!

3. AdamWill

AdamWill Senior member

Hey, this looks like the thread for me! Just idle curiosity really, as I'm happy with the jacket no matter the backstory, but I just bought an RL item that seems rather hard to pin down. It's a dark blue sport coat in a 62% silk / 38% linen blend, with white plastic buttons. It's semi-lined and a very light, open weave - clearly a summer item. It came from the menswear department of a reputable department store (The Bay), so it shouldn't be a knock-off. It only cost $350 and it's made in China, so it's pretty obviously not one of the prestige labels. But I can't figure out what the hell it is, and it's not on the RL website anywhere I can find.

The label is pretty simple, white serif font on black label, reads:

LAUREN
    RALPH LAUREN
    SLIM

and that's it. It's not Polo, it's not black label, it doesn't look like it's "Lauren by Ralph Lauren" mentioned on the front page. The RL website does show a "Lauren Ralph Lauren" label, but exclusively for women. This definitely isn't a woman's jacket. So what the hell is it? :) Thanks!

[​IMG]

4. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  5. AdamWill

AdamWill Senior member

aha, thanks. from the stuff I could find on that line it didn't sound right, but it's hard to find information. The label's black not green, but otherwise it looks the same indeed. Welp, I'm still okay with it for the price.

6. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

So on the subject of low end lines, or hopefully not. I found this shirt last week, looking on eBay, the other shirts labeled "BLAIRE" are all the standard cotton, selling for $0.99. This one is wool, the label looks different, and the shirt feels way awesome, it had no tags on it, but the fabric was perfect, crisp, no way it has been worn. It's way too big for me and I intend to sell it, but I would like to know the best way to get this item to rise above the chaff. Which brings me to another point, this thing wears like a tent on me, but it's labelled "L" how do you market stuff that wears much larger/smaller than labelled? Any strategy?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Seriously washed out by the flash, that embroidered logo is bigger than normal too. I'll have to re-take this before I try to put on ebay.

7. AdamWill

AdamWill Senior member

txwoodworker: you just include measurements - there's a thread around somewhere which has instructions for measuring various different types of clothing for sale. just say it's 'tagged L, seems more like XL' (or whatever) and list all the measurements you took.

8. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I'm curious if there is anything special about this shirt.

9. othertravel

10. domino123

domino123 Member

I've tried the new "Austin" model at the Mansion about 3 weeks ago. Same roping as the Anthony but generally slimmer all around. Shorter, as well. The pants are slimmer too and are more tapered than the Anthony.

11. cgo

cgo Senior member

So they have the same "rigidness" of the shoulder as the Anthony? It is not like the soft natural shoulders of the Daniel sports coat?

12. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

wow that glen plaid suit is NICE! I wonder if i can get it on sale for super cheap. :foo:

13. othertravel

I'm hoping it has a softer shoulder than the Anthony.

14. longwalker

longwalker Senior member

can any one answer my question? I have a suede loafer from RL, inscribed" POLO "on the sole and tagged "made in England". I just wanna know who made it?

15. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Probably Crockett & Jones.