1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ralph Lauren lines, and 'who makes what' - a definitive guide

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by apropos, Dec 27, 2008.

1. PiCcolocV

PiCcolocV Senior Member

Does anyone have any feedback on the blue label Garrison fit? Who makes it, and also how the cut compares to other blue label blazers/sport coats?

2. NickFR

NickFR Member

Great information! thanks

3. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Distinguished Member

While I have only a limited experience with the Garrison, the fit is really slim and the armholes are quite high. I can't compare it to anything from Blue Label, but the fit is closer to RLBL without the shoulder roping. Additionally, depending on your height, the gorge could be an issue for me; when I tried it on, the gorge made me feel stupid and I'm fairly tall (6'4", 1.95 M). The quality is top notch though, and IIRC, fully canvased and made by Corneliani.

Lastly, I was surprised at how big the lapels really are...they're Tom Ford big.

4. NORE

NORE Distinguished Member

Garrison models fit trim in the waist, have large 4" lapels and largely are 2 button models with side vents. They have more shoulder padding than the Polo I-IV models and higher armholes. The skirts flare out a bit more also. They generally come with flat front pants without belt loops and with side adjusters.

5. md2010

md2010 Distinguished Member

I have a Garrison fit suit in 36R. The fit is not slim at all. I swim inside the jacket. Also the jacket is quite long - I am 5'9" and the jacket is way too long for me. Its sitting in my closet for last 12 months. I need to do some major alteration before I can wear it. Its funny how 2 posters above said slim fit. In fact its far from it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013

6. jcep

jcep Senior Member

Confirmed by the SA that I think is best and highly recommend, Kelly Browning, who fwded me the response of Travis J. Blankenship the
    Ralph Lauren Made to Measure Coordinator at Madison Ave. His response also said that the silhouette for RLBL would remain the same as the factory would be "following their specs". Not sure if we can expect variance in the cut regardless of this but I plan on doing MTM soon and am happy to report (my experience, just one data poiny) back once I do assuming I don't find any reason to not go forward.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013

7. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Distinguished Member

We're likely differently proportioned than you. It's far from the slimmest fitting suit that I've tried, but swimming, at least for me, is pure hyperbole.

8. zippyh

zippyh Distinguished Member

I've had experience with a couple Garrison model SCs that fit markedly different.
    One was fairly trim in the waist. The other fit the same in the shoulders but was really big in the waist.

9. wrwhiteknight

wrwhiteknight Active Member

I have two unique Ralph Lauren items that don't fit neatly into any of the lines I'm familiar with.

One is the tie below, which is a Polo tie, but which has a Purple Label-esque label, and is made in USA from Italian cotton.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other is the camel hair sport coat below which is very high quality construction, and which has a label that looks exactly like Purple Label, but the label is a deep royal blue, and the jacket is made in USA.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

What's the deal with these items?

10. wrwhiteknight

wrwhiteknight Active Member

Here is another strange one:

vintage dress shirt by Polo, but the Polo tag is a deep royal purple. The shirt is top quality, with split yoke, mother of pearl buttons, and unfused collar and cuffs.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. SoHoJoejoe

SoHoJoejoe Well-Known Member

That tie is pretty amazing :slayer:

12. sagitar

sagitar Well-Known Member

Does anyone know who makes these shoes for Ralph Lauren?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. NORE

NORE Distinguished Member

Yes. A knockoff factory somewhere in the east. I would guess China. Or Taiwan.

14. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

Need resident RL experts to help me with something.

Which RL Polo suit models (the Made in Italy ones) are 3 roll 2?

The Polo I and Garrison are 2 buttons as far as I know.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

15. zippyh

zippyh Distinguished Member

Polo II.