• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Fall 2009

harry2quinn

Reaction score
I like a lot of the BL stuff, especially the coats. Purple label's nice, I like the color coordinations a lot. However - really not feeling #55.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool. I really like these two:
00100m.jpg
00110m.jpg

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like this.
No. 23 makes me think about getting an overcoat with straight pockets.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am as big an RL fan as they come and have the wardrobe to prove it but I was somewhat disappointed with the Fall 09 showing. I think the Polo stuff is bold to say the least. I would not be comfortable sporting those lapels. I understand the tendency to move away from the skinny lapel phenomenon but they jumped the shark to 70s wide. Purple Label takes the cake and it is almost by default (even though it was pretty good). Black Label was just too monotone. When are they going to do something for the f/w in olive or brown? I know Black Label has stayed consistent (Anthony cut and only Anthony cut in every collection) which is something to be admired as it gives the line some staying power and helps to not date the clothes from any collection. However, when they do stray (with the details) it makes it all the more noticeable. And when they repeat, even more so. Black Label Fall 2009 Black Label 2006 The breast flap pocket should have stayed in 06. It was a bad idea the first time. I admire the consistency outside the examples above, but I wish RL would expand the color palette with Black Label.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
i agree i've never cared much for the black label stuff...seems like "future" fashion rlbl seems like xmen uniforms...but i really really like the blue label stuff. still can't afford purple label
frown.gif

SwedishFish

Reaction score
I love silhouette of the RLBL suits, but i never cared for the short jacket length. Add 3/4-1" and they would look so much better imo. I get the idea behind a more urban, monochrome look, but I agree with everyone who said that the BL line would benefit from more color choices.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite what they show in fashion shows, I have found a lot of color options re: BL in their ties and shirts. They had all sorts of crazy bright shirts the last couple seasons. As for the suits, I think the exclusively black/navy/grey/brown options are pretty cool. Perhaps in odd jackets they could afford to get a little less monochrome. I disagree about the jacket length- I think it's a necessary part of the look. If anything, I wish they would tone down the shoulders, or at least offer a model with less prominent structuring.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SwedishFish
I love silhouette of the RLBL suits, but i never cared for the short jacket length. Add 3/4-1" and they would look so much better imo. I get the idea behind a more urban, monochrome look, but I agree with everyone who said that the BL line would benefit from more color choices.
Then... just get stuff in 'L' length?

I like what I see, save scattered outerwear pieces here and there. The lapels could be 1/2" slimmer though...
wink.gif

Khnelben

Reaction score
All very nice . A Black Label suit is the next thing for me. I like their side tabs on trousers.

BUT

looks like last Autumn )) it's all the same.

Andrey

Modernist

Reaction score
I like these wide plaids:

Polo RL #10:
00100m.jpg

RLPL #48:
00490m.jpg

And of course the combination of brown with purple in the second picture.

But I too don't get the wide lapels and low gorge of the Polo stuff. A bit late 70s early 80s look. RLPL on the other hand looks great.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So is this the wider-lapel of the new cut? Looks very Tom Ford-esque. It's a shame that the actual RL clothe rarely fit like they do on the models.

sfo423

Reaction score
Last week in the local RL store I looked at some work boots. I believe they were called railroad boots or something. They were brown and distressed. I have not seen them on the RL website; any RL gurus have the low down on these?

MustangQB11

Reaction score
Also worthy of note: in the RLPL collection Keaton collars are entirely absent. This is interesting given that nearly all of the Spring '09 RLPL looks included Keaton collars.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads