• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Experts?...

jamiebryant

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between "Polo Ralph Lauren" and "Ralph Lauren" with the pony logo between Ralph and Lauren?
Im on their website and they seem to be selling both under the Polo section. I was under the impression that the "Ralph Lauren" blue label with the pony was some cheap line.

anyway, any thoughts?

jamiebryant

Reaction score
...Wait a minute, think im seeing a pattern here, all the Button-Down Collared shirts have that label.
I dont get it though, is it still a part of the "Polo" line even though it doesnt say so on the label

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Lauren_Corporation

High quality:

RL Purple Label, RLPL (highest pricepoint, forum favorite, luxury items, more conservative than RLBL)

RL Black Label, RLBL (modern slim cuts, forum favorite, high price but below RLPL)

RRL (casual wear and denim, priced high, very well constructed items)

Average quality:

Polo Ralph Lauren (i.e. RL Blue Label), PRL (the "pony" line since the horse is a polo player; this is the most widely found line, and cheaper than RLBL, but not "cheap" by any means --- priced higher than most high street brands i.e. banana, j crew, etc.; from my experience quality runs all over the place for PRL with average to high quality, never had anything too crappy though)

RLX is their athletic apparel line and quality is decent, but most items are overpriced imo

Ralph Lauren Rugby (aimed at the college crowd to compete with Abercrombie basically, cheaper than PRL, quality is decent, for a while their made in Italy suits were a great bargain)

Below average-average quality:

RL Denim & Supply (basically their version of gap with cheaper priced goods, most stuff is average quality, I only own a few T-shirts from this line)

Club Monaco (this is also owned by the RL parent company, not sure if RL produces anything for CM directly)

Below crappy quality:

Lauren for men (green label) (this is not even made by RL and is crap)

Other lines that I don't know much about:

RL also has a golf line and a tennis line, but I have no experience with these goods

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
meh, LRL is cheap and the quality is not great, but for first suits at a bargain price, they are very serviceable.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

meh, LRL is cheap and the quality is not great, but for first suits at a bargain price, they are very serviceable.

And i think their women's line LRL is suppose to be pretty good. But tbh they have so many dam lines i have a hard time keeping up with which is suppose to be high quality and which is crap

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RL also has a golf line and a tennis line, but I have no experience with these goods

There's also an RL Olympic line...

Probably made in China.

Last edited:

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

High quality:
RL Purple Label, RLPL (highest pricepoint, forum favorite, luxury items, more conservative than RLBL)
RL Black Label, RLBL (modern slim cuts, forum favorite, high price but below RLPL)
Average quality:
Polo Ralph Lauren (i.e. RL Blue Label), PRL (the "pony" line since the horse is a polo player; this is the most widely found line, and cheaper than RLBL, but not "cheap" by any means --- priced higher than most high street brands i.e. banana, j crew, etc.; from my experience quality runs all over the place for PRL with average to high quality, never had anything too crappy though)
RLX is their athletic apparel line and quality is decent, but most items are overpriced imo
Ralph Lauren Rugby (aimed at the college crowd to compete with Abercrombie basically, cheaper than PRL, quality is decent, for a while their made in Italy suits were a great bargain)
RL Denim & Supply (basically their version of gap with cheaper priced goods, most stuff is average quality, I only own a few T-shirts from this line)
Club Monaco (this is also owned by the RL parent company, not sure if RL produces anything for CM directly)
Below crappy quality:

This is pretty accurate...RL employee for 4 years.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that PRL shoes and tailored clothes have been given short thrift in this thread...unless of course, we no longer consider C&J and Corneliani quality manufacturers.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polo Ralph Lauren is the 'cheap' line. Within itself there are very nice clothes and high quality items - but the range is HUGE. I'm talking horrible cotton sweaters to cashmere sweaters that fell from heaven.

Rugby RL - falls similarly as PRL - but i would say the gap in quality is smaller

RRL - is all trad/heritage Americana - from workers wear to Jesse James' outfits. All done very very very well. Best denim you can buy.

Black Label is gearing to more medium-high quality - specifically italian cuts.

Purple Label has a small range of just high quality.

Now what does Ralph Lauren vs Polo Ralph Lauren mean?

It really depends on the item. If its shoes/boots Ralph Lauren > Polo Ralph Lauren. Usually PRL is bad-okay and sometimes very very good. Ralph Lauren on the other hand makes some very nice shoes and the best is from RLPL.

If its something else, a picture of the item will clear it up.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno, $1200 for a PRL blazer makes it not all that "cheap" in my mind. Sure, the RLPL one is probably $2200, but still

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dunno, $1200 for a PRL blazer makes it not all that "cheap" in my mind. Sure, the RLPL one is probably $2200, but still

Maybe I should clarify that the 'range' i mentioned includes quality and price - PRL does make 'cheap' blazers as well as 'quality' blazers. RLPL only makes 'quality' - it has no vision for anything below a very high line.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
While the experts are all hanging out here...

Can anyone tell me some other makers that fit similar to RLPL but aren't necessarily so conservative and come in at a lower price point?

The RLPL suits I have tried on are about the only RTW suits I have seen that are close to fitting me well off the rack (RLBL is basically impossible and blue label needs a size up to fit my chest which then makes it fit poorly everywhere else).

Would be nice if someone made a similar shape jacket that didn't cost 4 grand....

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

High quality:
Average quality:
Below crappy quality:

I can speak to RLPL LRL & Polo:

You can find items labeled "Polo" ranging from very high quality to very low quality. You just have to know what to look for.
Generally they hold their purple label high up so quality is usually high as well.
The (licensed) Lauren line of goods can be crappy or good, depending on what you're buying. I've owned several suits and flannel trousers that aside from the label were almost indistinguishable from similar items of the higher branded goods. People here will tell you the green label stuff is crap with most of them not having owned or even handled one item. The key is to check for yourself.

GodAtum

Reaction score
How much would be a RLPL suit in the UK be? Thinking of getting a new suit from them or cad & dandy.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics