1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Ralph Lauren Darlton Wingtips

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dreamtripper, Mar 19, 2011.

1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I assure you, he is not.
    Nope. There's someone around here that could verify that tale. interlockingny, I think.
    [​IMG] paging interlockingny, paging..

2. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

These shoes are beautiful, and they are an SF favorite. But, in the four years I've owned mine, I've worn them half a dozen times.

3. dreamtripper

dreamtripper Senior member

I did a quick search and it seems like cordovan shoes as well as a handful of other items are excluded form the private sales events??? So, it seems like retail price or monitoring ebay, SF etc are the only options.

4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I love mine.
    Can we see some pics from members who own a pair? I am hearing mixed reviews on the actual appearance of the shell. I have seen some beautiful pairs (Moo) and some that dont look so pretty [​IMG].. (FStyles) FStyles, did you ever get your pair "re-tanned"
    I did a quick search and it seems like cordovan shoes as well as a handful of other items are excluded form the private sales events??? So, it seems like retail price or monitoring ebay, SF etc are the only options.
    yeah it figures..

6. malat

malat Senior member

This is definitely NOT true. I bought mine from RL.com during the private sale. I called the RL customer service and asked nicely for a working private sale redemption serial num and then bought them online by using it. That same weekend, I went into the local RL store and inquired about the cordovan Darlton's inclusion in the sale, and I got an emphatic "yep".

7. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Can we see some pics from members who own a pair? I am hearing mixed reviews on the actual appearance of the shell. I have seen some beautiful pairs (Moo) and some that dont look so pretty [​IMG].. (FStyles)

FStyles, did you ever get your pair "re-tanned"

yeah it figures..

I don't have any pictures, but I've found that C&J shells tend to be extremely caked with polish. This is my observation from 3 different pairs. I rubbed them down with a damp cloth about 50 times. Eventually the actual shell appeared. They are very nice now.

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

9. dreamtripper

dreamtripper Senior member

When was the last private sale?

This is definitely NOT true. I bought mine from RL.com during the private sale. I called the RL customer service and asked nicely for a working private sale redemption serial num and then bought them online by using it. That same weekend, I went into the local RL store and inquired about the cordovan Darlton's inclusion in the sale, and I got an emphatic "yep".

10. Eustace

Eustace Senior member

11. xudisco07

xudisco07 Senior member

When was the last private sale?

I was incorrect with my previous statement, the sale was last November (not January) and they were 40%+15% off. They had one last May that was 30%+15% off.

12. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

haaa, you are kidding right?

I've bought the plain toe version in shell new in box for $67

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I've bought the plain toe version in shell new in box for $67
    Wow, I think you got rebel222 beat. Was this through eBay too?

14. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

15. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

Nope. There's someone around here that could verify that tale. interlockingny, I think.

After I graduated, and mostly gave up the eBay biz, I thought about writing a book or manual on how to make money on eBay. It would be a ton of work, so not free. Also, I would probably get a ton of flack from the existing eBay sellers.

My apologies for not responding sooner. Yes, I can verify that rebel did indeed pick up a pair of Darltons for $90 on ebay. I remember the title of the listing was not very descriptive so it wouldn't have been something that many would have picked up on. Although I have had some decent pickups along the way, this sub-$100 Darlton pickup has me beat.