Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ralph Lauren cashmere

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Pink22m, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

I was at the Nordstrom Rack today and I found some Ralph Lauren 100% cashmere sweaters for $149. They seemed to have a variety of styles, and they even had some extra smalls, which I have not seen before. Does anyone know how those sweaters are cut? I didn't try on the extra small they had there, but I will be going back to do so. Compared to their retail prices of $400 and up, I would say that $149 is a good deal, however, I am debating whether I should wait to see if they go down more. What does everyone think?

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Based on what I've seen at my local Rack they will not last long, though the XS may outlast the more average sizes. I have a M lambswool sweater and it runs pretty true to size, probably 42-44" or so chest which is relatively close cut. Though that one is probably a different design than the cashmere ones you're looking at.

3. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

I wear a 36 jacket, so I am quite skinny...Do you think XS would suit me? My concern isn't the chest but the arms and the length of the body. Perhaps a small would do me better. I will get down there as soon as I get the time again so I can try on the XS.

4. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

No, I think you'd be a small. I have a 36 inch chest and have a bunch of the Polo Lambswool sweaters in medium. And they fit pretty well... XS would be too small I think.

5. Sevcom

Sevcom Senior member

Try on the XS. I'm about a 38 chest, and the XS Polo cashmere sweater (a black V-neck, no cabling) I have fits my perfectly. A small would have been too baggy for my taste.

6. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

I second the XS decision. I am also a size 36, and a Ralph Lauren small is just too big. Ralph Lauren cuts larger than most European designers, because that's what fat Americans need. Definitely try it on, but I would say the XS would be better. I find that the sleeves and length are pretty consistent with a S and just the width (chest) is affected.

Dan

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

What colors did they have in XS? and which Nordstroms Rack store was it?

Jon.

8. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

Thanks for your input gentleman.  I went back there today and tried on a couple XS: an orange cable knit turtleneck, and a black polo style cable knit (both 100% cashmere).  The turtleneck was just a tad bit short for me in the torso, but the polo fit me perfectly.  I purchased the polo, and I am fully happy with my decision.  It was the only polo they had there, all the others were turtlenecks, v-necks and crew necks.  

The rack I saw these at was in Chicago, off of North State Street.  They had a wide range of colors, including black, grey, brown, tan, lavender, orange, navy, aqua, teal and white.  Most all of them were 100% cashmere, with the exception of a couple that were a 90/10 blend.  As I said earlier, there was just a single polo there, which I bought.  The others were mostly crew necks and v-necks.  I also recommend checking out the Filenes just across the street, as they have a fairly decent selection (albeit dwindling) of Avon Celli cashmere sweaters, priced from around $200-250.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

What colors did they have in XS? and which Nordstroms Rack store was it?
    The rack I saw these at was in Chicago, off of North State Street. They had a wide range of colors, including black, grey, brown, tan, lavender, orange, navy, aqua, teal and white. Most all of them were 100% cashmere, with the exception of a couple that were a 90/10 blend. As I said earlier, there was just a single polo there, which I bought. The others were mostly crew necks and v-necks. I also recommend checking out the Filenes just across the street, as they have a fairly decent selection (albeit dwindling) of Avon Celli cashmere sweaters, priced from around $200-250.
    Cool, will give them a call in the morning. Thanks. Jon.