• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph lauren cashmere sport coat

JuniorJetSet

Reaction score
What do you think of this: Real, Fake? Fair Price? And what would one wear with a creme colored sport coat? Pastel colored polo shirt? Mock turtleneck? Finally, has anyone ever dealt with that seller before? thank you RL Sport coat

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
heh heh...i believe it was an expression of general disapproval...LA Guy is such a cad.

it does sortof look like something the help might wear for an afternoon party. but i'm sure there must be some occasion for which it would be appropriate. (for some reason the love boat theme is playing in my mind...)

can't help you with the authenticity though.

/andrew

DandySF

Reaction score
It looks more like linen than 100% cashmere. The four buttons on the coat give it the appearance of something picked up off a mall clearance rack. And those patch pockets...

JuniorJetSet

Reaction score
Ouch. Well, not wanting to be mistaken for a waiter, I think I'll avoid. And I was kind of questiong the cashmere claim, thanks for confirming my suspicions.
confused.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Patch pockets on a DB are definitely a no-no. And Mr. Lauren knows that... kind of makes me chuckle that somewhere in the world in one of the numerous RL stores, stands a mannequin adorned with the jacket shown and next to it is a glass display with a few copies of Allan Flusser's book, Dressing the Man, in which Mr. Flusser distinctly states that patch pockets do not go with DB suits.

Jon.

cuffthis

Reaction score
Um, I am wearing an Alan Flusser db jacket today that has patch pockets. And it's freaking beautiful. 4 button, side vents, functional buttonholes on the sleeves, boutineire loop, 100% cashmere tan with subtle herringbone.

Don't have digital camera here at work to take pic, but it is stunning, and the patch pockets add style, not take away.

Patch pockets DO work on db jackets. Watch an old Cary Grant movie. I can think of two of his movies, In Name Only (with Carole Lombard) and Holiday (with Katherine Hepburn) where he is shown wearing db jackets with patch pockets.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Um, I am wearing an Alan Flusser db jacket today that has patch pockets. And it's freaking beautiful. 4 button, side vents, functional buttonholes on the sleeves, boutineire loop, 100% cashmere tan with subtle herringbone.

Don't have digital camera here at work to take pic, but it is stunning, and the patch pockets add style, not take away.

Patch pockets DO work on db jackets. Watch an old Cary Grant movie. I can think of two of his movies, In Name Only (with Carole Lombard) and Holiday (with Katherine Hepburn) where he is shown wearing db jackets with patch pockets.
Well, then lets congratulate Mr. Flusser on his hypocrisy, shall we?

Just because Cary Grant wore the particular style in some movies (it's not like he choose the wardrobe, whatever the wardrobe designer dressed him in is what he wore {yes, I'm sure at some point in his carrier he had input...lets not try that argument}) does not mean it is proper or particularly attractive.

Jon.

cuffthis

Reaction score
Just to clarify, my jacket is not part of a suit.

Very similar in cut to the one worn my Michael Douglass as Gordon Gekko in the scene at GG's beach house, when Terrence Scott comes by to discuss Anacot Steel.

AND, it's still a wonderful coat. PERIOD.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just to clarify, my jacket is not part of a suit. Very similar in cut to the one worn my Michael Douglass as Gordon Gekko in the scene at GG's beach house, when Terrence Scott comes by to discuss Anacot Steel. AND, it's still a wonderful coat. PERIOD.
We'll just agree to disagree. Jon. P.S. Forget about Anacot Steel; Bluestar Airlines is the hot stock right now.
biggrin.gif

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because Cary Grant wore the particular style in some movies (it's not like he choose the wardrobe, whatever the wardrobe designer dressed him in is what he wore {yes, I'm sure at some point in his carrier he had input...lets not try that argument})
Just as a point of interest, I read a Cary Grant biography a while back, and discovered that 'back in the day', Grant - along with most other movie stars of the time - simply wore clothing from their own wardrobes when filming a movie. (With the exception of period dramas and the like, of course.) The studios had a degree of control over their stars' images, of course, but Grant was fastidious beyond even that - there's an anecdote wherein Grant sends a batch of custom shirts back to his tailor, requiring their collars to be replaced with ones whose points are 1/8" longer... I believe it was North by Northwest which ruined the greatest number of his suits... I personally don't mind a patch-pocket DB, albeit in a casual fabric. If it works, it works. I don't know if I care for this one, though... maybe if it was 6X2...

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket is fine. The material and drape are casual enough for the patch pockets. I don't see what the fuss is all about.

kidkim2

Reaction score
It seems to me a devil of good looking jacket. And if those lapels aren't cashmere I'll eat my fedora.

JuniorJetSet

Reaction score
The jacket is fine. The material and drape are casual enough for the patch pockets. I don't see what the fuss is all about.
Thanks. But I think I'll be passing on this one. The waiter thing notwithstanding, as DandySF mentioned, looking at the close-up photos it does seem that the jacket is linen and not cashmere, and I have no desire to deal with a potentially dishonest seller.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads