• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Camelhair Polo Coat

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then there's O'Connell's
Full cut, not skimpy.

I wonder if any of us have actually bought from O'Connell's. Most of us like to post their links, including me, but I haven't heard of any firsthand experiences.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if any of us have actually bought from O'Connell's. Most of us like to post their links, including me, but I haven't heard of any firsthand experiences.

I generally like to touch and feel the merchandise and try it on before buying. And I don’t have the patience to buy it only to have to go through the trouble of returning.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally like to touch and feel the merchandise and try it on before buying. And I don’t have the patience to buy it only to have to go through the trouble of returning.
Amen. First-hand accounts help a lot in that sense.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm a fan of all things RL. I wish the buttoning point on that specific coat was lower and I'm ambivalent about the flapped chest pocket. But if it were me, I would try the RL one first, just because I think RL usually does things really well. They often have the design team, experience, and control over the supply chain to get all the details right.

Regarding camelhair, pure camelhair wears out a little faster than camel-wool blends. But it's a really nice material. I prefer that slightly darker shade on a polo coat, rather than the pale tan, which I think is harder to wear.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting this:

View attachment 1541655
View attachment 1541656

Anyone have this and can let me know how it is? Also, how is camelhair? I have never owned camelhair. I was thinking of getting a camel polo coat made in Zegna 100% cashmere. How does camelhair compare to cashmere? I want something that will keep me warm, is durable, and has a presence.

Get it while it’s still on sale!

Or as Arnie would say, ‘Get your ass to Mars’.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Amen. However, where I live, the San Francisco Bay area, there
is little to buy that conforms to my taste. So for the past 15 years or
so I have bought online. Fortunately, I had a brilliant tailor- who just
retired, who could do major alterations with great skill. One of these
months I will stop in Buffalo on my way to NYC and visit O'Connells.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is it in terms of fabric quality, weight, shoulder padding, and roping?
Oh, I don't know. As others have mentioned, RL quality is usually pretty reliable. My comment was based purely on the photo. In my opinion, a Polo Coat ought to come well below the knee. That was also my criticism of the Anthology coat, too. I thought the overall design was really well thought out, but the too-short length let the design down. To their credit, they offered to make me a version of their coat to the length I prefer.

driving glove

Reaction score
I completely agree with Andy about length and with Derek about the buttoning point. As someone who has made more than my share of impulse-driven wardrobe mistakes (cost of "education" I guess!) and does a lot of internet-based purchasing based on poor local selection, I am now a bit more disciplined. Reassessment has often caused me not to wear things that were "mostly" right, because they turned out to be wrong in important ways. For instance, having a little extra length to play with can help you correct poor front-back balance if your posture isn't ideal, like mine
Derek has demonstrated with effective photos why a lower buttoning point and longer lapel line really define the polo coat look, as opposed to another ordinary camel double-breasted coat.
I haven't found the right one and am not in a travel position, or, honestly, cash position now to commission one, despite really wanting one.
I have found a substitute just this week "that gives me joy" to wear, as Marie Kondo might put it. I bought the GrandDad coat from De Bonne Facture, which as far as I can tell, is based on the wrap coat that preceded the polo coat. Great length, lower buttoning point, lapped sleeves, no breast pocket flap (no breast pocket, period). Appealing grey-taupe shade, easy to wear. No turn-back cuffs, nor set-in sleeves, nor martingale half belt, so not a polo coat but has the right look that sets it apart from the current RTW versions others have posted, according to my very personal taste.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Regarding the PRL polo coat, it bears mentioning that the model is 6'1" and is wearing a size 40. The coat is knee-length on him. The average American man is 3 inches shorter than that, so on the average man the coat would be slightly below the knee. Same with the Anthology coat. Simon is 6 feet tall and wearing a 48. Just thought I'd point this out. Both these coats are slightly below the knee. Now, some might want longer than that, but this is a reasonable length IMO.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding the PRL polo coat, it bears mentioning that the model is 6'1" and is wearing a size 40. The coat is knee-length on him. The average American man is 3 inches shorter than that, so on the average man the coat would be slightly below the knee. Same with the Anthology coat. Simon is 6 feet tall and wearing a 48. Just thought I'd point this out. Both these coats are slightly below the knee. Now, some might want longer than that, but this is a reasonable length IMO.
That's perfectly reasonable, but I prefer my coats longer, by about 10cm.

stifler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone should snag this:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads