• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Camelhair Polo Coat

partenopean

Reaction score
This is the photo on the RLPL website I was referring to. The webpage claims this model is 6'1".

s7-1223741_alternate10

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you weigh the coat on a regular scale, you will capture the coat with all its weight, including buttons and lining.

Fabrics are typically weighed by square meter. So cut a square meter from the back of the coat, grind it into a fine powder using your coffee grinder, and then weigh it on a coffee scale. This is the weight per square meter, which will give you an approximation of how warm it will wear.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you weigh the coat on a regular scale, you will capture the coat with all its weight, including buttons and lining.

Fabrics are typically weighed by square meter. So cut a square meter from the back of the coat, grind it into a fine powder using your coffee grinder, and then weigh it on a coffee scale. This is the weight per square meter, which will give you an approximation of how warm it will wear.
I’ll get right on it! Brb

edit: I have this coffee scale and an orphan espresso hand grinder. How fine of a grind should I go, and how precise do we want? My scale only goes +/- 3g from 500-2000g, is that enough precision?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shout out to @Krish the Fish for actually buying this item instead of just posting about it!!

Looks great - wear it in good health ?

corpseposeur

Reaction score
View attachment 1548547

Coat came today. Size 42R. It goes an inch below my knees at 6'1" for reference on length for anyone. Fit is roomy, I tried it on with a jacket underneath and had enough space to button the coat comfortably. I love the color and it is the exact fit I wanted.

Came with a RL garment bag and unvarnished flared shoulder hanger; I have it on a @kirbya hanger, as I do all of my clothes.

Any other questions I can answer for anyone?

That looks great. Sounds like a proper US-made, tailored coat. I assume it's a full canvas and everything? Could you share some measurements on your 42? Like shoulder to shoulder, pit to pit, sleeve? The Ralph Lauren website doesn't seem to have these available. I am always baffled as to why this remains to be the case with retail websites that sell tailored garments.

I'm tempted to get one for myself, but I already have a single breasted camelhair coat. I find that dark colors work better for city wear in the subway and around town. This could also just be an idea that lives in my own head.

I wonder if they'll make this a regular offering. It's a very classic piece.

partenopean

Reaction score
@Krishthefish, Dieworkwear

Was it too amiss to ask the coat length measurement for 42R? Didn't realize it would be such an inconvenience.

The Ralph Lauren website shows a 6'11" model with normal, average physical porportions and a 40R is very clearly above the knee on him.

You say you are 6'1" and that it goes an inch below the knee on you? so, I am like, what?!?

I know brands constantly update styles and many brands have shortened their classic overcoats but don't update stock photos.

Also, without using coffee grinders or other paraphernalia to gram-level error, just the simple weight of the coat would be helpful.

you say the package was 10lb....did it come in a wooden box or something?!?!

I know camelhair quality is all over the place. The RL website says "English fabric", nothing else. Was curious about the coat weight. No other offense implied, intentional or otherwise.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Krishthefish, Dieworkwear

Was it too amiss to ask the coat length measurement for 42R? Didn't realize it would be such an inconvenience.

The Ralph Lauren website shows a 6'11" model with normal, average physical porportions and a 40R is very clearly above the knee on him.

You say you are 6'1" and that it goes an inch below the knee on you? so, I am like, what?!?

I know brands constantly update styles and many brands have shortened their classic overcoats but don't update stock photos.

Also, without using coffee grinders or other paraphernalia to gram-level error, just the simple weight of the coat would be helpful.

you say the package was 10lb....did it come in a wooden box or something?!?!

I know camelhair quality is all over the place. The RL website says "English fabric", nothing else. Was curious about the coat weight. No other offense implied, intentional or otherwise.
What are you trying to accomplish? If the coat falls at the knee or an inch over or under, what does it matter?
You should order one for yourself and get all the information you need - they have a generous return policy if it doesn’t work out.
Also, have you contacted RL with your questions? If so, please post their replies here so other members can also get the benefit of the info.

partenopean

Reaction score
What are you trying to accomplish? If the coat falls at the knee or an inch over or under, what does it matter?

Also, have you contacted RL with your questions? If so, please post their replies here so other members can also get the benefit of the info.

I am trying to get the length of the 40R coat, and the 42R coat.

If it is below the knee, I am interested in getting one.
IF it is above the knee, the design has been changed to reflect current tastes, and I am not interested in this.

I contacted customer assistance for ralphlauren.com last Dec. I got a polite, generic reply that all available info is on the product listing website.

I tried to call a few RL stores to get this info. They were useless. another poster in this thread (or another RL thread maybe) also mentioned how useless the stores are.

I hope this clarifies why I asked for the coat length. again, apologies if it was construed as offensive.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should order one for yourself and get all the information you need - they have a generous return policy if it doesn’t work out.
If someone buys a coat, it's a reasonable request to ask for weight and collar-to-hem length.

Way easier than dropping $2000+ to figure it out.

I agree, contacting RL would be another alternative.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was eating dinner last night when I responded and had no time to get any measurements done.

BOC to hem - 46”
Shoulders across - 19”
Sleeve (from shoulder head) - roughly 26”
P2P - hard to measure on a coat like this, roughly 22-23”
weight - roughly 4.2 lbs

I have never had a great time telling if a jacket is fully or half canvassed. I believe I feel a layer of canvas following the procedure from a 2019 PTO article by @dieworkwear but I don’t have enough confidence to say definitively full canvas

partenopean

Reaction score
Was eating dinner last night when I responded and had no time to get any measurements done.

BOC to hem - 46”
Shoulders across - 19”
Sleeve (from shoulder head) - roughly 26”
P2P - hard to measure on a coat like this, roughly 22-23”
weight - roughly 4.2 lbs

I have never had a great time telling if a jacket is fully or half canvassed. I believe I feel a layer of canvas following the procedure from a 2019 PTO article by @dieworkwear but I don’t have enough confidence to say definitively full canvas

could you also share the weight of the coat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads