• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren button up?

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
what do you all think? I'm looking to pick up some high quality button ups for the office...

I've heard BoO is good.. but they're prices seem really, really high.

Is RL a good choice? Any other suggestions...

I like classic style with modern bend and a slim fit.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From here on I am only buying RL shirts. For custom fit I wear a medium and for a classic fit I wear a small. I just ordered 6 of their button downs on ebay yesterday to match the several I already have. I honestly feel like they've got everything I could need, and as you said, they are classics and last ages.

Plus, you can usually find Polo Ralph Lauren on decent sale, or used at thrift shops or on eBay. Check TJMaxx for sure.

Last thing I'll point out is I don't really like the RL pants line. I am going to try some of J. Crew's new slim chinos and see how those go.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are a fan of Polo button ups but are on a budget, definitely need to check out thirft shops. Seems like mine has 30-40 polo shirts at any one time

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tarmac, are you in a nicer part of town or a rather upscale area? I live in the suburbs and rarely find Polo stuff (okay so I never find it) in the thrift stores around here. I plan on making a day trip down to Atlanta on day in the next six months for some thrift shopping, either that or just occasional trips to the Polo Ralph Lauren outlet.

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
what's the consensus on Steven Alan shirts?

Note: I work in a creative environment and usually wear jeans (nudie, KMW, 5EP)... so I need casual button ups that can transition from that to biz casual when I see clients. Usually move from jeans to chinos and boots for such a meeting.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my limited experience with Steven Alan I haven't been impressed. It was not all that slim

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well BoO is a rather particular aesthetic... What are you going to be wearing the shirts with? (Jeans? Chinos? Wool trousers? Under a jacket?)

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
Tarmac, are you in a nicer part of town or a rather upscale area? I live in the suburbs and rarely find Polo stuff (okay so I never find it) in the thrift stores around here. I plan on making a day trip down to Atlanta on day in the next six months for some thrift shopping, either that or just occasional trips to the Polo Ralph Lauren outlet.

I wouldn't say my thrift store is very upscale, I've never seen an ebay whore like myself in there. But it is pretty large. When I say Polo shirts i mean the Ralph Lauren button up long sleeves with the horse logo, shirts like "custom fit" or "regent fit" or what have you.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like Ralph Lauren 'custom fit' but they're not that easy to find. Plus, I'm not sure what you mean by a 'classic style with a modern bend', but I don't think the RL stuff is all that modern, especially when you're also looking at something like Band of Outsiders. Steven Alan does nothing for me, but I guess they fit your description of biz casual. I just think you can do better for $150 or whatever they charge retail.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steven Alan has some details (visible seams, inside pockets, etc.) that might seem out of place with chinos, but it depends on how "creative" your environment might be. If you're OK with those details, you may also want to look at Trovata, whose fabrics are more "modern" and whose shirts are often discounted--steven alan is on sale a lot these days too; they're on bluefly now.

I would think most RL shirts would be out because of the logo. If you're a boots/nudies kind of guy, a polo player shirt might be a little off. Honestly, next time I buy an oxford cloth, button down collar shirt, it'll be Black Fleece or Land's End slim fit.

I would recommend J Crew, honestly. They have a pretty good variety of fabrics, are often on sale, and fit OK (certainly not BoO slim).

These are pretty standard SF recommendations, sorry I don't have much new to add
blush.gif

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
better for $150 retail.... Idler, what do you suggest.

My classic with modern bend... I mean the way a company like 5EP takes a classic item like a 5-Pocket Jean and turns it into something that looks quite acceptable even progressive in 2007 without losing what makes jeans classic.

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Steven Alan has some details (visible seams, inside pockets, etc.) that might seem out of place with chinos, but it depends on how "creative" your environment might be.

It's ad agency creative

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I wouldn't say my thrift store is very upscale, I've never seen an ebay whore like myself in there. But it is pretty large. When I say Polo shirts i mean the Ralph Lauren button up long sleeves with the horse logo, shirts like "custom fit" or "regent fit" or what have you.

Yeah, those are the shirts I was talking about as well. I prefer the oxford collars that button to the shirt, but none of the thrift stores around here have vast quantities of these. I like mesh polos as well but the dress shirts are my favorite. Ordered a whole bunch on eBay on Monday. Six altogether and I can't wait till they come.

bsyde82

Reaction score
I like steven alan a lot, and i think they work pretty well w/ a casual business outfit...

and they are pretty slim on me. I am 5'8, 150, fairly lean build....and i've never had to alter the shirts...they pretty much fit spot on

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads