• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Black Tux on ebay - pull trigger?

Tano

Reaction score
Hi
Im looking for a nice tux for my wedding and wanted your opinions on this tux i found on ebay. I have not found my size on the B&S forum and this ebay guy sounds legit.

The jacket has a notched lapel and the pants have a black satin stripe but its a 2 button jacket (not 1). Also are satin lapels a neccessity?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-RALPH-LAU.../350274193660?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like it.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer lapels of grosgrain. I also prefer a peaked lapel ... and definitely one button.

It's not your best option ... there has got to be a better one that will come along. I'm a 40R ... and I've noticed decent dinner coats in that size from time to time.

Tano

Reaction score
For a traditional look the Tux should incorporate ALL these features?

Black Colour
Single breasted ,single button ventless jacket
Notched Lapel (or shawl?)
Grosgrain/Silk Lapel
Pants with 'Cashmere' stripes
White Tux Shirt
Black Bowtie

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tano

I'd say midnight blue trumps black. And a notch lapel is definitely NOT traditional.

Matt S

Reaction score
That's just a black business suit with satin trim. The jacket and waistcoat (vest_ are both cut like a business suit, not dinner suit. If you look harder you can find something better. Look on eBay for Polo Ralph Lauren, not the cheap Lauren brand (which has nothing to do with Ralph Lauren other than his name). A single breasted dinner jacket must have only 1 button. The waistcoat should be low-cut with only 3 or 4 buttons. A cummerbund (or even no waistcovering) is better than a high-cut waistcoat. A Polo dinner suit will also come with trousers with a flat front or forward pleats, both of which are better than this dinner suit's reverse pleats.

Matt S

Reaction score

Black Colour
Single breasted ,single button ventless jacket
Notched Lapel (or shawl?)
Grosgrain/Silk Lapel
Pants with 'Cashmere' stripes
White Tux Shirt
Black Bowtie

Cashmere stripes are trousers for morning wear. Proper black tie trousers have a grosgrain stripe or braid down the side.

The shirt should have double cuffs and a turn-down collar, not wing.

I agree that midnight blue is preferable over black, and Polo Ralph Lauren does make them OTR. A midnight dinner jacket still have black facings. But a black dinner suit is perfectly fine still.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got mine MTM from Thick as Thieves with all the features I desired for something like $500-600.

Tano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I got mine MTM from Thick as Thieves with all the features I desired for something like $500-600.

Thanks for the tip, its impossible to find a Polo Ralph Lauren tux with peak lapels on ebay. Im also going to check online at Jos A Banks and Brooks Brothers.

Johnny24

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
Cashmere stripes are trousers for morning wear. Proper black tie trousers have a grosgrain stripe or braid down the side.

The shirt should have double cuffs and a turn-down collar, not wing.

I agree that midnight blue is preferable over black, and Polo Ralph Lauren does make them OTR. A midnight dinner jacket still have black facings. But a black dinner suit is perfectly fine still.

The only OTR RL midnight tuxedo I have seen this year is this http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

Note the two buttons and notch lapel, this takes it out of the running IMO. They may have something on offer for 2011 though, a few very high end designers are making midnight blue models at the moment, so they may become en vogue on a wider scale soon. I saw a shawl collar Brunello Cucinelli model in his SoHo store for around 6K, and when I was in Bergdorf Goodman there were a couple in peak lapels, but I don't remember the brands off hand. I do know the Tom Ford rep in there told me one could be made at around 8k-ish. The Parker model from Paul Stuart is about the best looking midnight BD I have seen on the market at the moment. http://www.paulstuart.com/product_in...SUBPRODCATID=0

If you bespeak one you can get midnight facings on the jacket and pants but I would highly suggest that if you that is the case that you have the tailor cut you two or three bow ties, and two or three forms of waist coverings of from the exact same fabrics used on the dinner suit because you will never find matching wool or silk to the facings if you go blue with them.

Johnny24

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I ordered some onxy cuff links from you today to be overnight shipped to MD for my NYE black tie event, not really on topic but I thought it was worth a mention being that you are here and we are talking formal wear.
Thanks for the tip, its impossible to find a Polo Ralph Lauren tux with peak lapels on ebay. Im also going to check online at Jos A Banks and Brooks Brothers.
In common size it is hard on ebay, but it does happen. I saw one for about $500 recently and I highly considered pulling the trigger but I held off too long and lost out. I would say the JAB look is worth it if you can get one of the Signature peak lapels on sale. They are pretty despised on here, but their peak Signature is more visually correct than Brooks Bros. even on the Golden Fleece model. JAB's Sig peak has grosgrain peaks, one button, besom pockets (BB has flaps), single pelted trousers with a grosgrain stripe and they can add working button cuffs for you if you like. The wool is a Super 120, which is light enough to be comfortable but looks and feels solid. I think the Sig line is half canvased as well. I bought one a month ago for about $210 before alterations because I am going to a pretty lively black tie event for NYE and I would not risky my mint vintage midnight navy blue rig at a place where drinks will be spilling and bottles popping. It is not top of the line by any means but it is very passable for what it is and totally correct on the details. I would not be happy if it got ruined but I would not be ready to murder someone either, I would consider stabbing with a butter knife if they trashed my vintage number or a $1k+ Paul Stuart or RL model. I dressed it up with working cuffs, a grosgrain fixed length point end tie from Maine bows, and a Ben Silver burgundy English dot cummerbund (it is a "creative black tie" event, but this is my limit beyond velvet jackets and tartan trousers). Linda at Maine bows also does custom cummerbunds, I am having her make me pleat-less grosgrain and black satin ones and a satin point end tie.

Johnny24

Reaction score
LIke this?
http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop...1_10050_101786

Do i opt for traveller crease?

That is the exact one, it is slightly more expensive than when I picked it up but that is still not a bad price for a tuxedo that ticks the boxes visually. I opted for the crease, I am not sure if it is a gimmick but for $8 and not having to worry about a dry cleaner messing up a crease I figured "why not". The line in the pants is razor sharp now and I kind of remember is being loose and draping when I first tried the pants on.

Tano

Reaction score
Im also getting an additional pair of 32" trousers since the 34" will be too big.

Does anyone know where to find the exact measurements for the suits? Im not sure if im a 40R or 40S. I have big shoulders/chest and small waist. I need a jacket with ~30" BOC and 25" sleeves

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads