• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Black Label

rah120

Reaction score
Hey,

I am considering purchasing a RLBL suit but when I went to the store to try it on, the breast of the jacket (where the lapels are) stick out (there is space between my chest and the lapels). It happened on both a 38 and 40 (and I wear a 38). Is something that a tailor can fix or is my body just weird and not right for that kind of suit? This hasn't happened on other suits before.

Thanks

spence

Reaction score
BL is a slim cut, it sounds like the chest is too tight.

-spence

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to imagine what you are describing, and, if it it was I think it is, it's happening because Black Label suits have rolled lapels. When unbuttoned it's a 2 button rolled to about 1.5.

If you are new to suits this might be hard to imagine but it's common on 3 button suits. The suit has three buttons but the way the lapels are made the lapel "rolls" into almost a 2 button suit, and in some cases a full roll into the 2. what this looks like when its undone is the button almost being turned over and facing the front of the jacket.

I hope I have hit on what your talking about. If not just disregard, I'm trying to relate your experience to my own with Black Label, as I also typtically wear a 38 but decided to go 40. I also went for a 40S when I usually wear an R. It is definitely my most "trendy" suit.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spence
BL is a slim cut, it sounds like the chest is too tight.

-spence

yea i think thats right

rah120

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. With resepct to the first post, if the chest is too tight, what should I do? The 40 did it too, and I definitely can't go higher than a 40. Can the tailor let it out a little?

With respect to the second response, sorry I am not really following what you're saying (I am new to suits). I'll try to describe it a little bitter if I can: When the suit is buttoned, there is consierable space between my chest and the jacket (where the lapels are) I would say about two inches. In other words, instead of the jacket laying flush against my skin, there is space there. I'm sorry I don't know how else to describe it. Thanks

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rah120
Thanks for your help. With resepct to the first post, if the chest is too tight, what should I do? The 40 did it too, and I definitely can't go higher than a 40. Can the tailor let it out a little?

With respect to the second response, sorry I am not really following what you're saying (I am new to suits). I'll try to describe it a little bitter if I can: When the suit is buttoned, there is consierable space between my chest and the jacket (where the lapels are) I would say about two inches. In other words, instead of the jacket laying flush against my skin, there is space there. I'm sorry I don't know how else to describe it. Thanks

Thanks for clarifying. What I mentioned would only occur when the suit is unbuttoned, the lapels "stick out" a bit because of the roll. Leave it unbuttoned and you'll see what I mean.

What your describing sounds like a serious fit issue and I wouldn't pay BL money for a suit that doesn't fit properly at all off-the-rack. The great thing about BL for me is that I can wear the jackets OTR with nothing more than sewing the cuffs. If you need serious alterations to the jacket then try something else off the rack, unless Ralph Lauren will alter it for free because once you buy it your stuck with it and if a tailor hacks it up your out of luck.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am considering purchasing a RLBL suit but when I went to the store to try it on, the breast of the jacket (where the lapels are) stick out (there is space between my chest and the lapels). It happened on both a 38 and 40 (and I wear a 38). Is something that a tailor can fix or is my body just weird and not right for that kind of suit? This hasn't happened on other suits before.

Thanks

Unfortunately, I don't think the cut is right for you. Buttons can be moved, seems can be adjusted, but this, for me at least, is a definite deal breaker when trying on OTR.

HermesGuy

Reaction score
And for those really into RLBL...a little heads-up:
"The next big RL initiative is to turn Black Label into a lifestyle brand. It's the new Purple Label. It's David Lauren's baby."

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where is that quote from? That is quite unfortunate. I like that Black Label is a small niche product that focuses on quality tailored items with a great cut.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
Where is that quote from? That is quite unfortunate. I like that Black Label is a small niche product that focuses on quality tailored items with a great cut.

I agree. And unfortunately I've seen some new Black Label stuff and its a lot of stupid shirts and sweaters with weird designs. I think their suits are great, but the sporty and casual BL is just ugly. Although I did notice that the suits were still only available at the Holt Renfrew flagship store on Bloor, whereas the casual stuff was available at the Yorkdale location.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if you really want the black label cut, go for 42 and have tailor taken in shoulders, trim sides and hem skirts. any competent tailor should be able to do this.

but otherwise the jacket isn't really cut for you. black label is cut with a pronounced shoulder, slim and long silhouette.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
I agree. And unfortunately I've seen some new Black Label stuff and its a lot of stupid shirts and sweaters with weird designs. I think their suits are great, but the sporty and casual BL is just ugly. Although I did notice that the suits were still only available at the Holt Renfrew flagship store on Bloor, whereas the casual stuff was available at the Yorkdale location.

u mean those ed hardy inspired modern militaristic t-shirts/jackets? agree those r pretty crazy...

rah120

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Unfortunately, I don't think the cut is right for you. Buttons can be moved, seems can be adjusted, but this, for me at least, is a definite deal breaker when trying on OTR.

well that sucks. There is no way that can be tailored? Couldnt the jacket be let out a little?

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the sides can be let out a little. yes. make sure the shoulders fit.

well that sucks. There is no way that can be tailored? Couldnt the jacket be let out a little?

r_fine

Reaction score

Don't sweat it. Black Label IS very nice but in my (limited) experience it has a rather extreme cut and is not suitable for everyone. Not fitting that mould does not make you a bad person.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads