• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Black Label MTM worth it?

starbuk

Reaction score
I went shopping down Michigan Ave here in Chicago looking for my wedding tuxedo. Zegna tuxedo was $3k+ ready to wear. Ralph Lauren BL is now apparently merged with Purple Label,had the hand made tux for 5k (old purple label) and the MTM for 2.5k (old BL).

I'm a 42r and 34 waist. My chest isn't huge but I exercise and it's larger than normal, so the Zegna and RL tux both had the lapels flaring out a bit. Salesman is saying that MTM is best bet since they can fix that and a tailor cannot. If I can buy a 42r from SF or eBay and have the chest tailored, that would save me 2k. If it can't be fixed I'm stuck with MTM and need to decide if 2.5k plus tax is a good deal for Ralph Lauren. Material is the same as traditional purple label, fully canvased, etc.

Could really use some help, I hardly know what shoulders, chest, etc should look like and I feel like I'm in the dark spending $3k.

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by lapels flaring out? Do you mean it doesn't sit cleanly across the chest?

Regarding whether or not you need made to measure, I don't think you do - it's not like you have a 10 or 12 inch drop. Make sure it fits in the shoulder. You can take in the wait in both the jacket and the trousers.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An 8 inch drop is fairly standard. Mine's around 9 or 10 depending on how well I'm eating, and good tailoring makes RTW feasible.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went shopping down Michigan Ave here in Chicago looking for my wedding tuxedo. Zegna tuxedo was $3k+ ready to wear. Ralph Lauren BL is now apparently merged with Purple Label,had the hand made tux for 5k (old purple label) and the MTM for 2.5k (old BL).

I'm a 42r and 34 waist. My chest isn't huge but I exercise and it's larger than normal, so the Zegna and RL tux both had the lapels flaring out a bit. Salesman is saying that MTM is best bet since they can fix that and a tailor cannot. If I can buy a 42r from SF or eBay and have the chest tailored, that would save me 2k. If it can't be fixed I'm stuck with MTM and need to decide if 2.5k plus tax is a good deal for Ralph Lauren. Material is the same as traditional purple label, fully canvased, etc.

Could really use some help, I hardly know what shoulders, chest, etc should look like and I feel like I'm in the dark spending $3k.
Hi,

I'm going to move your thread to Menswear advice, where basic questions like this can be easier to find for users who want to find this type of information.

Cheers,

Fok.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just from your description, it seems that you have been trying on suits that are too small. That the lapels on 2 separate tuxedos from 2 different companies flare suggests you may want to try on a size larger. As long as the shoulders fit, as someone has already pointed out, and the chest sits flat, the waist, back etc... can all be altered fairly easily, and there are plenty of good alterations tailors in Chicago.

As for the fit, I like the way that this jacket fits:

(https://www.paulstuart.com/men-s/formal-wear/black-italian-wool-tuxedo-7.html)
A traditional tuxedo fits a little slimmer than a traditional business suit, skimming the body, but on constricting it.

starbuk

Reaction score
Hi all, the shoulders fit, I am a 42 but the chest does not lay flat. If the chest cannot be altered, I have to get MTM. That was my question. The follow up was whether or not rl bl is worth the cost or if there are better options. If the chest can be let out I can get a suit online for less.

Alpha11

Reaction score
If what your are experiencing is the jacket puckering at the breast then it is common among men that work out and have a pronounced chest but small waist. I have the same problem. If that is the case then go MTM as most off the rack suit rarely are able to address or minimize that from happening. The type of tailoring that can address that is call crook or V the chest. If that is not your issue then you have it easy.

Last edited:

starbuk

Reaction score

If what your are experiencing is the jacket puckering at the breast then it iw common among men that work out and have a pronounced chest but small waist. I have the same problem. If that is the case then go MTM as most off the rack suit rarely are able to address or minimize that from happening. The type of tailoring that can address that is call crook or V the chest. If that is not your issues then you have it easy.

That is my issue, unfortunately. It's not extremely pronounced but is happening. I suppose I have to decide if it's worth the premium to get rid of the problem. I don't own many suits so could hardly see the problem at the stores.

Alpha11

Reaction score

sizing up & taking in the waist might help you solve the problem. So instead of 42 get 44 or 54 eu (it's less than 44 but more than 42 actually)

Not sure going up a jacket size will help with the chest issue. The only way I was able to get it to work for me is to have the chest " V" or crook. Which they add more material to the garment and adjusted the canvas within the suit. From my understanding the cost to have a clothing tailor try and add that to the suit is not only costly but, gives no guarantee the work would be done correctly. As stated before his best bet is to go MTM that way they can do it during the construction of the garment rather than after. At least that has worked for me. My SA Jeff has been selling suits for all most 35yrs and my tailor Gino has 50 yrs and at one time supervised 20 others clothing tailors so I trust them and have had no problems thus far.

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another alternative is to try a fuller cut suit. You are likely getting the lapel problem because the suits are not the right cut for your frame (Anthony is slim with high arm holes). Go with a more traditional cut suit and forget the trendy labels. In BB language, stop trying to fit into a Milano if the Madison will fit you well. As stated, waist and sleeves can be taken in later. Those alterations will also be minimal in price.

For the price of RLPL/RLBL MTM, you can get a tuxedo bespoken. This would be my route.

Alpha11

Reaction score

Another alternative is to try a fuller cut suit. You are likely getting the lapel problem because the suits are not the right cut for your frame (Anthony is slim with high arm holes). Go with a more traditional cut suit and forget the trendy labels. In BB language, stop trying to fit into a Milano if the Madison will fit you well. As stated, waist and sleeves can be taken in later. Those alterations will also be minimal in price.

For the price of RLPL/RLBL MTM, you can get a tuxedo bespoken. This would be my route.

I did not think of that but maybe changing the suit silhouette may actually help. The funny thing is I was told that exact thing by a Brooks Brothers rep as far as Milano and as such I went with the Regent and Fitzgerald fit..lol!

starbuk

Reaction score
The Zegna mainline didn't seem to be a modern cut and I had a similar issue. That was a 52 which perhaps was a bit below 54. But I don't want to spend 3k on an off the rack suit from Zegna.

I can't find a good shop that will sell me a bespoke suit for 2k. Mr. Ned is the best option so far in NYC, and I can be there once for work but the second fitting I'd need to pay to fly and stay out there. Will end up costing me 2k+ anyway.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I did not think of that but maybe changing the suit silhouette may actually help. The funny thing is I was told that exact thing by a Brooks Brothers rep as far as Milano and as such I went with the Regent and Fitzgerald fit..lol!

I freaked out when I first heard RLBL was being D/C but glad to hear they're keeping the fit for RLPL. Haven't bought a suit under the new brand but maybe in the next year or two.

The Zegna mainline didn't seem to be a modern cut and I had a similar issue. That was a 52 which perhaps was a bit below 54. But I don't want to spend 3k on an off the rack suit from Zegna.
I can't find a good shop that will sell me a bespoke suit for 2k. Mr. Ned is the best option so far in NYC, and I can be there once for work but the second fitting I'd need to pay to fly and stay out there. Will end up costing me 2k+ anyway.

I'm not familiar with Chi-town but I assume there are some good tailors there. I think there is a Chicago thread somewhere on SF...

Have you tried Paul Stuart or Brooks Brothers? They have varying cuts although they won't have as much "wow" factor when you talk about where you got your tux. I personally haven't worn Zegna in a LONG time so I'm unfamiliar with their cuts. It has been said, go for the shoulder fit and don't worry about the sizes. It takes more leg work to try other makers but you might find better a fit. If you want to stick to RLBL/PL, Zegna, or other Italian houses maybe the cut just isn't right for you. TF and Brioni are awesome but they just don't hang well on me so I pass on them. Same goes with shoes... StC and JL are trendy now but they just don't fit right so I go with other makers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads