ralph feinnes wardrobe in skyfall!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ThinkDerm, Nov 9, 2012.

1. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Watch the movie "the avengers" not the superhero one the one with ralph feinnes and uma thurman. Terrible movie but the suits were great

2. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

I distinctly remember the umbrella.

3. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

What about the sword fight at the tailors, with all the other customers acting like its nothing out of the ordinary? lol

4. Alvinbmx

Alvinbmx Senior member

Would love to find out more about the new M's suit, especially the one with blue stripes.

Anyone has more details?

5. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

Movie sucked, girls were blah but Ralph's suits :slayer:

6. OffTheRack

OffTheRack Senior member

The three piece that the MI6 psychologist who analyzed Bond wore was very nice too.

7. duggyald

duggyald Senior member

Fiennes just wore it better in my opinion, Craig gets all the attention because he is Bond but Fiennes fared well in the movie too..he's older now still carries himself well.

8. TomTom

TomTom Well-Known Member

The movie was great but Daniel Craig's suits looked like he bought them in Topman...and a size to small. Nothing against Tom Ford but James Bond should be wearing English tailoring end off!! And that means no Brioni or Zegna either.

9. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I agree, but the suits in Skyfall were double bad. The suits in QoS, while also TF, actually fit pretty well. CR was still Brioni, and again, they fit pretty well. All the self-striped shirts in that movie were dreadful, but the suits fit. Skyfall... Disaster for suits.

But yeah, Ralph Fiennes' suits were excellent. First time we saw him on screen, he wasnt wearing a coat, and I leaned over to my wife and said "That's how a pair of trousers are supposed to fit."

10. otacon

otacon Senior member

There are some technical details that are "wrong" with Bond's suits--the collar gap is one of them already mentioned. I think they took that as a trade off, though, for the fit of the suit they were going for. I really got the impression it was meant more as a uniform than anything else--like he was supposed to look like a superhero in it. The cut, while short, is aggressive. No, it doesn't look relaxed and necessarily refined, but it's not supposed to. Rather, I felt like it was supposed to look like he was coming at you, ready to tear your face off, while he was standing still.

Fiennes's suits were wonderful, and exactly what you would want from someone in his position in government in the film. The contrast between the two was what, for me, made it acceptable that Bond's suits looked so....different. We know someone understands suiting when we see Ralph's suits, so there must be something they're going for with Craig's.

11. Panzeraxe II

Panzeraxe II Senior member

There is no way this is A&S

12. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

I see what you mean, but even the look you're describing was not executed well with the cut of Bond's suits. That look can be made much better, especially without the ridiculous tightness. It's true that slim suits look modern, but there's two types of slim: Slim in the correct places with purpose, and just tight from sizing down too much. The costume designer either didn't do enough research, or had no idea how to achieve the look she wanted...or both.

Here's an example to illustrate what I mean:
    1. Slim, but still fitting well:
    [​IMG]

2. Bond's suits in the movie:
    [​IMG]

Now, one might argue that Craig's shape is very different that the guys above, but that's no reason to make suits tight. He should look even better in a well-fitting, slim suit.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

13. fassbinder

fassbinder Senior member

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

14. E TF

E TF Senior member

Well that says the dinner suit he wore to the premiere was made by Timothy Everest, but makes no mention of the suits in the film itself. It's possible whoever did make Fiennes' suits is bound by a confidentially clause; whoever it is they are not making the song and dance about it that you might expect.

15. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Wish we had more pics of his suits! I've been looking for a pic with his jacket off so I can see what type of braces he's wearing?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012