1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Rally under your flag- War is upon us! The Great Drape/No Drape Poll!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by yachtie, Feb 3, 2009.

1. robin

robin Well-Known Member

The clean front crowd finds this approbation perplexing, even annoying.
    It's infuriating.

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

My theory is thus: in the peculiar world of the interwebs, men who post bespoke clothes from the drape school often get an enthusiastic response that eludes the clean front crowd. The clean front crowd finds this approbation perplexing, even annoying.

- B

I can answer your question and Jeffrey's comment about your girth:

[​IMG]

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

It's infuriating.

Maddening, even.

- B

4. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

vox - I'm worried. From your tone, it sounds like you may actually believe that there is such a thing as these two enemy clans. In reality, whatever rivalry you think exist probably is confined to less than half a dozen people. Most of us just like what looks good and couldn't care less whether you call it piccolo drape or clean-o.

5. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Sorry to sound like a noob here, but I'm looking to learn... Could someone simply explain to me what you guys are refering to about "Drape". I see slightly different silouettes but I'm not quite clear what I should be looking for...

I always thought by drape you guys meant how the suit falls and rolls along the body. So fused suits sort of just hold stiff and square while canvassed ones flow along the body lines and fold/crease with the body movements.

6. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

If vox is fat, I am in a lot of trouble. Say it ain't so, V!

7. voxsartoria

I can answer your question and Jeffrey's comment about your girth:

Worry not. Posting on SF is a hindbrain activity.

- B

8. yachtie

yachtie Well-Known Member

Clean-O

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike just needs to expand his horizons.

9. voxsartoria

If vox is fat, I am in a lot of trouble. Say it ain't so, V!

First sumo match is tomorrow. Wish me 幸運.

- B

10. voxsartoria

[​IMG] Way to bring it, Y.

-B

11. yachtie

[​IMG] Way to bring it, Y.

-B

[​IMG]

12. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

The blue DB is pretty awesome. I wonder if gdl doesn't like that one.

13. yachtie

[​IMG]

14. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I actually really like both jackets yachtie just posted [​IMG]

That was a nice counter to your twisted strategery

15. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

vox - I'm worried. From your tone, it sounds like you may actually believe that there is such a thing as these two enemy clans. In reality, whatever rivalry you think exist probably is confined to less than half a dozen people. Most of us just like what looks good and couldn't care less whether you call it piccolo drape or clean-o.

+1. I liked specimens in both, but tend to prefer clean overall. I don't get the extremely drapey stuff, but if someone likes it, great. To each his own.

It's fairly academic, anyway. It's not like many people these days understand the basics of fit, much less the nuance of drape v. clean.

16. jefferyd

jefferyd Well-Known Member

To my knowledge, we Drapists never say that a clean front makes for a necessarily good or bad looking jacket. Some look good. Most look bad, because most things in general look bad. In contrast, there are a few arch-devotees of clean jackets who uniformly do not like a draped chest, not just on themselves, but even on others.

Why is that?

- B

Drape as a stylistic choice is one thing. I don't think drape looks bad, but I don't think it is particularly flattering, either. I have never had a client ask me to make him look ten pounds heavier, which is what drape tends to do.

The silhouette, styling choices aside, should flatter, conceal, enhance..... I have super-wide hips which the strong shoulders help to conceal. I would put someone who had overly strong shoulders in a very soft shoulder. Every jacket should be cut differently according to the client's taste and build. Unfortunately for me, drape has become a hot button because of the "ideal bespoke silhouette" thing, as if any one silhouette could be ideal for everyone, especially one which adds bulk to the frame.

17. jefferyd

jefferyd Well-Known Member

Those are great, yachtie!

18. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

GDL, I suggest you re-read this:

Perhaps you are saying that what you like has nothing to do with whether a jacket is draped or not. Your primary cues are from other elements of style.

If so, you might be guessing why I chose those particular photographs.

To my knowledge, we Drapists never say that a clean front makes for a necessarily good or bad looking jacket. Some look good. Most look bad, because most things in general look bad. In contrast, there are a few arch-devotees of clean jackets who uniformly do not like a draped chest, not just on themselves, but even on others.

Which I think should put your worries to rest.

But anyway, which way should I vote? txbai.

19. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

GDL, I suggest you re-read this

I did. That's what made me worried. Especially the use of capitalized clan names.

20. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

I did. That's what made me worried. Especially the use of capitalized clan names.

I read it differently.