raleigh denim

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by robbie, Sep 14, 2009.

1. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

I saw the brand mentioned ona continuous lean and was really intrigued. i like the idea of an operation that does things itself. I was dead set on a pair of crates for my next purchase, now i am torn. anyhow, they look and sound well worth the premium but does anyone have any experience w/ the brand? they are carried at Barneys and a few other places, check em out: raleigh denim

2. theom-

theom- Senior member

Eh, The back pockets look ugly to me and the denim looks kind of bad with the overdye. They only have one cut too.
    I'd say go with crates. They have much better detailing for FW09. Hidden rivets and the like.

3. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

I saw the brand mentioned ona continuous lean and was really intrigued. i like the idea of an operation that does things itself.

I was dead set on a pair of crates for my next purchase, now i am torn.

anyhow, they look and sound well worth the premium but does anyone have any experience w/ the brand?

they are carried at Barneys and a few other places, check em out:

raleigh denim

Yeah, I don't like the look of the back pockets, and they're possibly even impractical. The rise also looks higher than what I'd like-- I'd venture to say higher than a mid-West hipster like you should wear.

Incidentally, I took a drive around Cone Mills a few weeks ago, since it's close to my periodontist. I don't have much business that takes me to the northeast side of town. Cone Mills isn't much to look at-- just a massive factory complex in the middle of a run-down residential neighborhood, entirely fenced off with barbed wire. I'll check to see if they do any factory tours.

4. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

when i saw it on ACL all I thought was

another one!?>

5. theom-

theom- Senior member

Yeah jesus christ I mean really look:

Tellason
    Raleigh
    Crate
    Naked and Famous
    Nudie
    APC
    I could probably search around and list about five more.

Entry level raw denim is kind of shot to death now right?

6. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

i'm sure they realize people are only supposed to buy 1-2 pairs for every 6 months that's not a whole lot of market available

7. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

8. onion

onion Senior member

Yeah, I don't like the look of the back pockets, and they're possibly even impractical. The rise also looks higher than what I'd like-- I'd venture to say higher than a mid-West hipster like you should wear.

Incidentally, I took a drive around Cone Mills a few weeks ago, since it's close to my periodontist. I don't have much business that takes me to the northeast side of town. Cone Mills isn't much to look at-- just a massive factory complex in the middle of a run-down residential neighborhood, entirely fenced off with barbed wire. I'll check to see if they do any factory tours.

Let me know if they do tours. I want to go!

An SA at RL in Charlotte said when he was in college (his major I believe he said was textile something-or-another), he went on a guided tour of the plant with his class. He said they showed him all the natrual indigo baths, the dying process, the raw materials, the old looms, etc. He made it sound like it was a very interesting and worthwhile trip.

If they don't do tours to the public, we should get a group of people and pretend we are with a college and go. I can bring my friends. I'm sure they will all look super bored and uninterested, just like normal college students.

9. onion

onion Senior member

Also one thing that is cool about Raleigh denim is the fact that almost everything is made in NC. That makes me want to buy a pair by itself... Then again I'm from NC. I'm sure not many others would have the same outlook on them.

I liked this as well:
    I'll post how they are if I ever get around to buying a pair. The fit isn't what I usually wear (I like tapered leg), plus I have a ton of other jeans stockpiled already, but I really do plan to get a pair at some point, if for nothing else just to support a local, quality denim company.

And FWIW, their pockets are the shit.

[​IMG]

10. sincerity

sincerity Well-Known Member

cool concept cool company considering I went to school in raleigh.

wonder if they sell direct.

11. sincerity

sincerity Well-Known Member

12. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

Let me know if they do tours. I want to go!

The website says something about making appointments for the showroom. It doesn't say anything about a factory tour.

I think the ten-foot tall barbed wire fence around the complex says alot about their openness to the public.

Well I can certainly look bored and uninterested. I'll dreadlock my hair and wear one of those "Obey" shirts if it will help our cause.

13. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Eh, The back pockets look ugly to me and the denim looks kind of bad with the overdye. They only have one cut too.
    I'd say go with crates. They have much better detailing for FW09. Hidden rivets and the like.

Agreed on the Crates. Excellent for the price point. And I'll totally believe their quality and detailing have gotten better.

TigerFormula - PM to you.

14. joel_954

joel_954 Senior member

15. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

what distinguishes entry level jeans from better jeans besides how cool the wash is? thats the only "detail" that ive ever noticed...