• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raj on the apprentice

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think this guy is just too over the top. The cane really made me scratch my head.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He seems to attempt dandyism. I mean attempt as to when he went casual, and wore shorts.

That is not something a true dandy who wears bow ties, and carries a walking stick does.

That Bradford was rather ill-dressed in my opinion.

Phil

Reaction score
I thought he looked pretty good. Yes, a bit over the top at times. I loved the black and white spectators. Whether you loved it or hated it, it was a welcome change from the other 8 men. Some were just color blind, others still thought it was 1999, wearing that now infamous regis ensemble of dark shirt, dark tie. On a tangent, i still dont understand how that look ever became popular.

anyway, Raj looked unique, and I think thats his point. He stood out, which will probably help him on the show.

Boulevardier

Reaction score
I rather liked Raj's look, but then I always award points for individuality 'cause there's so little of it.
And the bow ties too .

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
He seems to attempt dandyism. I mean attempt as to when he went casual, and wore shorts.

That is not something a true dandy who wears bow ties, and carries a walking stick does.

That Bradford was rather ill-dressed in my opinion.
There's someone named Bradford?

I watched the football game.

Bradford

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Brad:

I did too. Great game. Even if Indy beat themselves...

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I speak as a bow tie wearer and an appreciater of spectators, but I've decided Raj is proof of the need to be more conservative in business presentation.

The old maxim is don't hire someone wearing a bow tie. Yes, he stood out, but I don't think in a positive way. A more proper course of action would be to show up for the first meeting dressed conservatively, but well--long tie, but with a pocket square. Go with braces. Perhaps some monk straps instead of wingtips. Maybe on the trip to Toys R Us wear the bow tie or spectators. Work it in, but don't make it your exclusive look. Ditch the cane for wearing with your ascot in off hours, not at work.

Raj won't last on The Apprentice because his image is that he's more focused on being different than on being good.

[Editorial note: I think a discussion focused on Raj's clothing is a very legitimate discussion for the "Clothing" forum. I'm puzzled why this was moved.]

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I don't agree with most of you guys. What you call individuality, I call looking like a jackass. If he were auditioning for a job singing satirical political show tunes (The Flat Tax Rag), maybe. But just maybe.

The other guys looked sharp, albeit a bit conservative. Remember fellas, the clothes are supposed to make you look good, not the other way around.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Raj obviously lacks an "appropriateness meter." He clearly turned off Trump early, especially with the wacky cane. Too bad, because he was smart enough to realize Trump would think the "Mosaic" name was weak and suggest some decent alternatives instead.

You can never go wrong dressing conservatively for a job interview.

Now that this thread was inappropriately moved to this section, I suppose I can also comment that the wrong person got fired last night. That woman should be gone.

Montecristo

fareau

Reaction score
the wrong person got fired last night. That woman should be gone.
I don't agree. While I found her remark about the child's haircut to be a bit crass, she struck me as a pretty up-front type that won't try to play up the fact that she's a woman. Last season, it was difficult watching the women constantly depend upon their sexuality to promote themselves (to the point of self-exploitation) and I sense that much of the current group are similarly inclined. I don't think that this particular woman will play those games (although I admit that she is probably as ruthless as any).

I should add that it is a little surprising that, after Omarossa's debacle last season, the only black woman they would choose for this season should turn out to be a total fruitcake (magic 8 ball notwithstanding).

As far as Raj is concerned, I think that having a gimmick on a show like this helps. I honestly believe that the Donald's selection process is strongly governed by ratings vis-a-vis the viewer appeal of some of the "characters". Volatile or dislikeable personalities are kept on the show because it gives the viewing audience someone to root against. Likewise, eccentric types also attract viewers by creating a little bit of carnival spectacle with their strange behavior. The guy who got voted off (Rob?) was just a little too insipid to maintain the average viewer's attention.

RatPacker

Reaction score
The women and the guy were both wrong. She didn't do enough to produce the right product and get the most out of the team. He didn't make his opinion heard. In the business world, like we all know, if you don't make your case in a situation and stay silent, that's the way you will always be: to the side and silent.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fareau, I agree with you on WHY he made his choice--the woman will be more interesting going forward than the man. But she didn't do a whole lot of anything right as far as I could see. Right down to her dubious selection of the debate kid as the third boardroom selection, she made mistakes the entire time. There is no way she can be a winner.

fareau

Reaction score
Fareau, I agree with you on WHY he made his choice--the woman will be more interesting going forward than the man. But she didn't do a whole lot of anything right as far as I could see. Right down to her dubious selection of the debate kid as the third boardroom selection, she made mistakes the entire time. There is no way she can be a winner.
She will not win, nor is it likely that she will even make it to the final four, but I suspect that this has little to do with her judgement or ability. More to the point, I don't really believe that this is a true "15 week job interview". Rather, it is a transparent effort at comercial exposure of the Trump name: the bottom line is not about finding and hiring superlative workers for the company, but rather about amassing the largest possible viewing audience, promoting his brand name, and increasing his consumer base.

The contestants or interviewees (or whatever we choose to call them) can engage in all of the in-fighting, negotiating, strategizing, and posturing that they want. I strongly suspect that what will keep them in the game the longest is their "watchability". If the Donald thinks that an individual has (or can) develop a fan base and will attract viewers, he will be less inclinced to fire that person.

Still, it is a very entertaining show and certainly makes for some addictive viewing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads