• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rainy weather Clothing. (Thats classic menswear right!?)

Thearkly

Reaction score
Hi,

So I am trying to build up a wardrobe to move to Boston. So I am not from Boston so I have no idea how Boston weather gets.
Any good staples to prepare me for the weather?

Shoes/boots? Maybe Timb desert boots, or some cheap Redwings? Would suede boots get ruined?

Waterproof jacket ideas? I realized I have been looking at wool coats but I don't believe they are water-proof. So any stylish ideas for a good waterproof jacket. I have been looking at UNIQLO's 4way coat. Or maybe a trench coat so I can wear it while I walk between classrooms? You guys don't use umbrellas in the east coast right?

Does weather during the times ill be up and about actually get too cold between 7am-10pm? Should I take that into account on the jacket.

Any help would be appreciated. I am on a tight budget, and was hoping to do all my shopping this holiday season for the upcoming winter and what remains of the cold weather from Feb-may.

Last edited:

SomethingsFishy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judging by your comment on classes, you're a university student.

Well, you're in luck, because I happen to be one from Seattle. While it doesn't rain quite as hard out west, it certainly does stay wet!

If you're going to keep it truly classic, and you want something that will perform irrespective of weather conditions, the ideal would be a pair of shell cordovan boots with either Norwegian or Veldtschoen construction and a lug sole. A captoe boot would be extremely classy.

Sadly, such boots are astronomically expensive -- expect to pay around a thousand dollars minimum for something that checks all of those boxes. Of course, a boot constructed like that would be nigh unkillable if you took care of it. It'd stand a decent chance of outliving you.

I'm going to assume that you, like me, simply can't throw a thousand dollars at a pair of boots, so you're probably going to want a cheaper option. Regular leather can still perform reasonably well if it's given proper treatment, treed after wear, and given a rest period, but, being from Maryland, I know that east coast weather has a tendency to sometimes go to three or four days of miserable pouring rain, which means no rest period...

As such, my best recommendation would actually be yours- a pair of old red wings or timberland boots. Not because they're especially classic, stylish (usually) or high quality, but because they're durable enough to get the job done, and cheap enough to replace when they finally kick the bucket.

Welcome to Styleforum. I joined up just as I started school as well. Expect a roughish ride from the start -- people here dress to extreme standards. But the crowd is generally friendly, and you'll learn tons.

EDIT: Coats and umbrellas:

Trenches are good, but you need to keep the rest of your outfit reasonably formal. If you wear sneakers, faded / ripped jeans, or non-collared shirts with a trench, you're very likely to look like a neckbeard. That applies to almost all military-inspired garments. I'd suggest having something more dressy (like a trench) as well as something less so, for days when you simply don't give a ****.

When I went out west, people said you guys didn't use umbrellas either! Well, no matter where you go, that's a giant load of crap. Pick up a good one. Fox makes a very high quality option for a reasonable price. I got mine (very) preowned, and the frame and canopy are both still kicking!

Last edited:

Thearkly

Reaction score
Is your formal and classic wording because this is in the classic menswear section? :3 If i made one in streetwear would I get different responses?

Well, I did post here because I wanted the classic staples for the east coast weather.
If you have any opinion on streetwear I would take that as well, or if it is not against forum rules I can make a duplicate post on the street fashion.

Thanks for you response!

Edit:

"If you wear sneakers, faded / ripped jeans, or non-collared shirts with a trench, you're very likely to look like a neckbeard. That applies to almost all military-inspired garments." Well I urban dictionaried neckbeard. Great advice, thanks I never thought about it. I'll keep it in mind as I transition from my daily usage of cargo shorts into more presentable clothing.

So you studied out of state... Were you able to make it with 1 suitcase or 2?

Last edited:

SomethingsFishy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is your formal and classic wording because this is in the classic menswear section? :3 If i made one in streetwear would I get different responses?

Well, I did post here because I wanted the classic staples for the east coast weather.
If you have any opinion on streetwear I would take that as well, or if it is not against forum rules I can make a duplicate post on the street fashion.

Thanks for you response!

Edit:

"If you wear sneakers, faded / ripped jeans, or non-collared shirts with a trench, you're very likely to look like a neckbeard. That applies to almost all military-inspired garments." Well I urban dictionaried neckbeard. Great advice, thanks I never thought about it. I'll keep it in mind as I transition from my daily usage of cargo shorts into more presentable clothing.

So you studied out of state... Were you able to make it with 1 suitcase or 2?

Definitely two. One good carry-on, one good checked. I'd suggest a rolling garment bag for the latter. I suggest you go thrifting and pick yourself up something from Travelpro, Tumi, or Briggs & Riley. They pop up all the time.

You'd probably get a very different response in SW&D. I've gotta be honest, I don't venture on there much, my first couple experiences there kind of made me want to curl up in a corner in the fetal position. In a few words? Elitism and drop-crotch pants. I'm just a tiny data point, but that doesn't mean I have to go back :p

Anyways, I like classic because it's very likely I'll still like the pieces I have in 15 years, and, if I don't, they'll still be worth something. The same cannot necessarily be said of all streetwear.

Thearkly

Reaction score
Is a heavy duffel coat practical like this coat http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78521?feat=6723-GN2&page=heritage-wool-duffel-coat. It says its warm to -35 degrees will that be to hot? Does it get that cold?

BTW. Can a duffel coat be taken in? I have this one that looks big. I think it would overall look nicer, and fit me better if i had it taken in.

[/IMG]

Last edited:

styleguy9934

Reaction score
Is a heavy duffel coat practical like this coat http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78521?feat=6723-GN2&page=heritage-wool-duffel-coat. It says its warm to -35 degrees will that be to hot? Does it get that cold?

BTW. Can a duffel coat be taken in? I have this one that looks big. I think it would overall look nicer, and fit me better if i had it taken in.

[/IMG]

Duffel coat is really more of a winter overcoat although it does have a lot of swag. I would take it for the cold days. I would also pick up a nice double breasted 3/4 length trench for the rainy days and some nice boots if you can afford it. I like Red Wing's although the timberlands aren't bad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads