• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rainy Weather Boots

light94

Reaction score
I'm a college student looking for some inexpensive (<$150) boots to wear with slim-boot/slim-straight (not skinny) jeans in california rain. I'm about 5'8" 150lbs.

I've done a search and it seems like these LLbeans are highly recommended but they are at the top end of my budget. I would really like to spend <$80 if possible...

dsc2124az8.jpg

Are there any other boots that are similar in style to these but are cheaper?

How do Clark's desert boots fare in the rain? Maybe non-suedes or coated suedes?

Thanks!

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by light94
How do Clark's desert boots fare in the rain? Maybe non-suedes or coated suedes? Thanks!
The crepe sole isn't recommended to be used in the rain

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the ll bean katahidins are your best bet for a cheaper price range ... just wait till bean comes out with a coupon. you can also get bean duck boots but might not fit your aesthetic

i love clarks db's but yeah terrible in wet weather

light94

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I'm not really feelin the duck boots atm... I don't look too great with shoes that have too rounded of a toebox

Anything else out there that's similar in style to katahidins / DB's? I'm willing to sacrifice a little in quality considering I normally wear chucks/vans which are pretty poorly built imo.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by S-Town
Yeah, what a loser for being in college and having a budget.

well he says $150 (kinda reasonable) and then $80 (not really reasonable)

yeah yeah i know, he's on a budget, most of us here aren't ballin' like sq or jet. but this is a forum for discussing luxury consumer goods, so there has to be a point where we say, "you need to spend more to get something worthwhile"

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bean boots.

They're ugly as **** but they're $80, reasonably well made, and will keep you dry in the rain. Plus you'll probably get compliments from all the "Americana" types.

*#..

Reaction score
The only other boots I can think of in that range would be a pair of doc martens on sale. They go for $120 retail, but search around and you can find them for cheaper.

light94

Reaction score
Found some Timberland 6 inches for cheap... anybody around my height (5'8&quot;) have experience with these?

Am I too short to rock these properly?

S-Town

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
well he says $150 (kinda reasonable) and then $80 (not really reasonable)

yeah yeah i know, he's on a budget, most of us here aren't ballin' like sq or jet. but this is a forum for discussing luxury consumer goods, so there has to be a point where we say, "you need to spend more to get something worthwhile"

Yeah, you're probably right. But I do remember a time when I would save for 2 months for a $100 pair of shoes.

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by light94
Found some Timberland 6 inches for cheap... anybody around my height (5'8") have experience with these?

Am I too short to rock these properly?

facepalm.gif

S-Town

Reaction score
Those LL Beans look to be 6&quot; too, so they should wear the same.

light94

Reaction score
Thanks, will head to the store tomorrow to check out sizing. First pair of boots ever
redface.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics