• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rainwear

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoreman, why not get that Helly Hansen jacket in olive? cheep, "authentic", and easy to wear...

I advice against getting any kind of anorak, since theyre are a hassle to get on an off, which probably isnt what you want in cold rain...

TheDroog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Bump, any other recs for good-looking rainwear with a minimum of functionality? Spending a couple weeks in Ireland this fall and expect a lot of damp day hikes.

The Marmot Essence Jacket is excellent; I just got back from Ireland myself and it was a champ. Lightwight, waterproof, and good-looking to boot.

mrmt_essence_jkt_blk_08.jpg

kodou

Reaction score
While on the Take Ivy and Rainwear topic, I have a footwear question. What is on the feet of the gentleman on the right in the OP?
ti13.jpg
Is it an overshoe? Does he just wear leather shoes whenever it rains? If anyone has seen the Take Ivy picture with everyone wearing yellow rain jackets on the steps of a building, you'll notice that they too are wearing what appear to be loafer shoes. (though slightly different than what's picutred above) Can anyone clarify?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kodou
While on the Take Ivy and Rainwear topic, I have a footwear question.
What is on the feet of the gentleman on the right in the OP?

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...henck/ti13.jpg

Is it an overshoe? Does he just wear leather shoes whenever it rains?

If anyone has seen the Take Ivy picture with everyone wearing yellow rain jackets on the steps of a building, you'll notice that they too are wearing what appear to a loafer shoes. (though slightly different than what's picutred above)

Can anyone clarify?

Looks like an overshoe to me. The loafers in the other pictures are probably weejuns.

ti4.jpg

kodou

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
The loafers in the other pictures are probably weejuns.

I thought of weejuns as well, but the vamp seems a little high for a weejun. Also, the shoe itself just seems slimmer, resembling something more a driving moc in shape than a weejun. I'm thinking it's just some shoe that their univeristy store carried. I guess I'll never really know though.

An Overshoe, eh? I was looking at these earlier over on Talk Ivy. They maybe worth a purchase.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
rag and bone anorak at TOBI

I picked one of these up for a song on ebay, and it turned out to be a really cool jacket. Does anyone have any info on what sort of cotton these are made from exactly? I was thinking wax cotton from the ebay pics, but in person it is a very finely woven twill (not waxed) that almost looks mercerized. It seems pretty water resistant but I am wondering what it is going to be like in the rain.

mikejones

Reaction score
I'd recommend a Barbour Classic Beaufort, basic - but deservedly amongst the best jackets in the world.

If you want something lighter, check out LL Bean/Eddie Bauer, etc. Lighter-weight stuff for $50 or so...

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
I'll have to agee to the Barbour and to Eddie Bauer: I bought a weatheredge field jacket years back and it keeps you dry even in the heaviest downpour! Before I bought my Beaufort, it was my first choice on a rainy day. I've only had the Beaufort since December, but it keeps dry perfectly. I have to admit that it is heavy, though. I think Barbour has started some lightweight jackets recently, so you might look into that, too.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll never tell.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for all the links guys, i've also been looking at an anorak for winter/spring! =D

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
How about the iconic French label, Guy Cotten?

They make really cool yellow raincoats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics